1989 PRP Mullen D10 ****SOLD****

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Mickey Adams

1989 PRP Mullen D10 ****SOLD****

Post by Mickey Adams »

Ive got a black D10 coming down the line shortly.8+5, Black Pedals And levers, and the 1/2 inch aluminum border trim..VERY CLASSY LOOKING!....Once in a while, a guitar comes through here that sounds this good...It had dead strings on it when it got here..and still..this guitar sounded EVER so sweet.As most of you know, I have a prized 1990 PRP, and this one sounds as good or better...I only wish I could keep ALL of them..I will not be hurt if this one doesn't sell...!!...She will have Brand new necks, fingerboards, tapped changer, and a totally overhauled undercarriage. If you want, for the cost of....Ill put 2 new 705s in it like mine, and rewire it...Heres a sneak peak...!!
OH YEAH...Embedded tuners too!..Love'em!
Believe me..if you are even considering getting an after-market Mullen..you do NOT want to pass this one up..The first to PM me with a response will be the first in line...

2nd Days Progress!!..Waiting on parts!!

Last edited by Mickey Adams on 22 Jan 2013 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

2nd Day Progress Pics added!....
Guys how about some feedback???....If this was going to be your guitar....WHICH PICKUPS would YOU put in it....?...ive got about 2 weeks before the changers and necks get back....Let me hear YOUR preference...I haven't decided yet...!
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

What are 'embedded tuners'?
Kurt Graber

Post by Kurt Graber »

About 5 years ago I rebuilt my Mullen Guitars one at a time to use one for reference. Wow, thats a lot of work. I would say now is the time to decide on a copedent (I think thats the word). As you know adding knees or complete hex rods and bushings are a pain when the guitar is completely together. These pre RP guitars are harder to work on then the RP in my opinion because that whole carriage has to come out to do things right. Mickey you must love doing this and it sure looks like a beauty. I love these older Mullen guitars. Someone will get a fine guitar!
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Steve...as the story goes....Grover was going through a divorce in the early 90s..so he shut down production...Del decided to get the Schaller line. He then decided to tap the peghead so he didn't need the housing, just the knobs and gear...So he builds them INTO the headstock...Smooth as glass too...!
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

That's pretty neat... I never noticed that.
Jerry Humphries

mullen guitar

Post by Jerry Humphries »

My only suggestion would be that black geetar would look 200% better with a nice set of polished aluminum knee levers. Im like my wife when it comes to jewlry. I like bling :!: :whoa: :)
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

I agree Jerry....But thats a fairly big investment.....Like Diamonds...LOL
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Kurt, yep it's a little time consuming. I've kinda got this puzzle down to a science at this point....30 minutes to tear down...about 4 hours to clean, then 4 to reassemble. The right way to reassemble is to mount the front apron support bar to your bench, and build the entire cage first...then insert it into the body. Aligning the center rail and rear support brackets can be frustrating, and makes all the difference in the pedal feel. Shimming the center rail is usually necessary in the older guitars, to keep the shafts free...I've recorded the entire process on video....
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

That is a beautiful guitar, I think the black knee levers make it look intimidating, Mickey. It going to be a sweet rig when it is finished.
Tommy Shown
SMFTBL
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Tommy, I'm REALLY looking forward to getting her finished... Judging from what I heard for the few minutes I plugger it in.....it's going to be the bomb..My friend Boo Miller has one almost identical, same vintage...and it IS the best sounding Mullen I think I've ever heard..
Last edited by Mickey Adams on 19 Jan 2013 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Blackwood

Schaller tuners

Post by Mike Blackwood »

I bought a Mullen from Mickey over a year ago, and that guitar had Schaller tuners on it. I wasn't sure about the tuners, but just like Mickey says, they are as smooth as glass, and it is easier to keep the head stock looking clean and shiney! Keep up the awsome work Mickey.
Dwight Lewis

Mullen D-10 Pup Choice

Post by Dwight Lewis »

Mickey I would go with TA-10/BL710 setup or a TT-10(17.5k)/BL910 setup. I think that would give you a kind of GOOD, BAD, BLACK BEAUTY.
This one is gong to be a Stallion, I just know it.
M.O> of course. :D

Dwight
Dekley (PRS-10C), BMI S12
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Actually...2 705s on the way...CANT WAIT TO HEAR THIS THING!!!
Dwight Lewis

Mullen D-10 Pup Choice

Post by Dwight Lewis »

Excellent choice, those will make this black beauty into what we motorheads call a "sleeper". Perfect.
God's grace and skill be with you Mickey, as you are truly a magnificant technician on these instruments as well as an inspiration to the entire steelguitar group. Steel on friend. Hope my spelling wasn't too brutal. :)

Dwight
Dekley (PRS-10C), BMI S12
Mike Mantey

Tuning Keys

Post by Mike Mantey »

Just wanted to clarify. Like Mickey said, back in the late 80's early 90's there was not a suitable key being built that would work for pedal steel. So Del decided he had to make his own. I don't know how he manages to do these things, but he machined the key head (housing), he machined the lined buttons, he machined the piece of aluminum around the string shaft that holds the parts in. He machined the spacer between the button and key head. There is also little tiny thin teflon washers in there that where machined by him. Then he bought the worm gears inside, I believe from Sperzel, and another part from Grover. Then he made them all work.
It is amazing that all this was done to get a key head, they must have cost a good $200 ea to make. There where so many things this complicated back in the day.... Truely Amazing.
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

Del must be some kind of genius.
Jerry Warner

mullen

Post by Jerry Warner »

Micky that mullen is going to be a killer guitar w/ you getter done, as to i have a 1988 black and black just like that one, I've owned a few guitars over the years and the older mullen is one of the best built, Bought mine new from Dale. s/n 2149
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

This one is 2171.. Originally went to Bobbes
Shop in nashville..
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Micky, I know they're a little pricy but th Telonics 84 pickups sound awesome on these guitars . I have one on my E9th on my Mullen with the single coil on C 6Th. As much difference as daylight and dark.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Henry, I've got one... Telonics has another new
One Gary is using in his Rittemberrys... Gonna get one of
this and try it too!!
Randy Gilliam

705s

Post by Randy Gilliam »

That Baby will do the singing, With The 705s Lookin good Mickey! Randy G. :D
Keith Howard

Post by Keith Howard »

Mickey,
As you may recall... I have been patiently looking for a GREAT Mullen. This may be the one. Please email me at keith@daystartrans.com with your asking price.

Keith
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

EMail sent Keith!

Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

PENDING PAYMENT>>>!!!