My Speedy West Fixer Upper

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Duane Keiper

My Speedy West Fixer Upper

Post by Duane Keiper »

I picked up this guitar on E-bay. Looks like someone didn't have a case for it and thats not a good thing. I really enjoyed working on it but I still need to send it out to get a 4th knee lever put on.
Before and After pictures.
Josh Rossow

Post by Josh Rossow »

That's a very cool looking guitar. I haven't seen many of those around. What year do you think it is? Nice ZB too!!
Mark Dershaw

Post by Mark Dershaw »

That thing is awesome! I didn't know that there was a Speedy West guitar. What is the history on these things? Is that a hybrid type changer? I have a Speedy West bar that I got whith my first steel. It has "Speedy West" scripted into the back end of the bar. I used that bar for nearly 40 years. Anybody else have one??
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Made by Marlen...........I believe that they used pull-release changers, but I could be wrong.
Mark Dershaw

Post by Mark Dershaw »

Hey Tony, Ah yes, If it's a Marlen, it's probably a pull release. I played on a couple of Marlens when I was young, but I believe they were all pull. Did they switch up?
Jamie Olson

Post by Jamie Olson »

Beautiful guitar and restoration job!

Thanks for the pics!
GFI D10 Ultra 8/5; Sho-Bud D10 8/4; Remington SD10 3/3; ZB D10 8/5; Regal Dobro
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Len did switch at one point, I think the late 70s. I've seen and played all-pulls and owned a pull-release.
The cabinet looks like Len's work
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Duane Keiper

1975 Speedy West

Post by Duane Keiper »

This guitar was made in 1975. I've seen maybe 5 Speedy West D-10's but this is the only Speedy West S-10 that I have ever seen. I wounder just how many were produced. Dose anyone remember ever seeing another SW S-10? Because I knew they were so rare, I had to save and repair it. It's a shame that someone let it go so bad. This was my first fixer upper and I think for my next project I my have to take a stab a making a case for it. This kind of thing is nice to do for me. You do what you feel you can do when you feel like doing it. If it takes a long time to finish, that's OK. Thanks everyone
Mel Bergman

Post by Mel Bergman »

Neat...I just picked up the Marlen version of this guitar....identical RWB scheme, with a Marlen tag.....I got it for next to nothing off of CL. I gotta say, the thing sounds really really good. The pickup is phenomenal. Shockingly enough, it is a 1976. Was anything going on in 1976 that would warrant marketing a RWB guitar? Really, it is a cool guitar. Nice job in the refin. I am guessing the wood is non figured since it was originally painted? Good score and nice resto!
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Duane, who were you gonna use for adding a knee? It seems there are fewer and fewer folks knowing how to make pull-release work any more
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Duane Keiper

Post by Duane Keiper »

Mel, I'm thinking you got the Marlen S-10 that was on CL in Washington state (if I remember). The only difference that I remember is yours dosen't have the metal strips at either end of the guitar. Look at the second picture of the guitar as I purchased it, can you see the strip betwen the end plate and the key head. The strips are at both ends. I looked at that guitar for the longest time. Are you going to give it a new look?
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

Shockingly enough, it is a 1976. Was anything going on in 1976 that would warrant marketing a RWB guitar?
Bicentennial!
Mel Bergman

Post by Mel Bergman »

No, I got mine in Ventura CA. Guy bought it 25 years ago, never touched it. This guitar was gigged hard, then not touched. I need to tune it up. I have had some helpful advice on the pull release setup. I really like this guitar. I am going to keep it the same. I have a number of RWB guitars, so I dig the vibe. I will clean it up ( it is actually pretty clean) buff the aluminum and legs, and play it. THe pedal action on this guitar is fantastic. For me, anyway.

BTW, mine has no metal strips. I guess those are what are referred to as Speed Strips.
Mel Bergman

Post by Mel Bergman »

THat's right. 1976 was the Bicentennial of the first Pedal Steel.

"When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary to invent an original American instrument........pursuit of happiness...... frustration.....madness...we mutually pledge to each other our time, our fortunes and our sacred sanity."
Duane Keiper

Post by Duane Keiper »

Lane, I was going to ask Paul Redmond to do the work for me. I haven't asked him yet but I hear he's the man for the job.