Roland Cube 80XL '?'

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roger Rettig

Roland Cube 80XL '?'

Post by Roger Rettig »

My pal Ken Byng has got me thinking about this amp. He says he prefers it to the Peavey 112 and, as it's time soon for me to consider new amps, I'm giving this product some thought.

I've been more than pleased with both my 112s - they've been consistently reliable and have worked hard for their living for about eight years now.

My only reservation? I don't care for the sound of my Telecaster with the Peavey. Can anyone describe their experiences with the Roland and electric guitars?

They're a good price, too - buying two 80XLs won't break the bank.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Roger
I will answer your question via the forum. I double up on pedal steel and Tele, and I think that the 80XL is the best amp that I have tried yet for those who play both instruments. I would give you that same advice that I gave Micky Byrne when he asked me for an opinion on the Roland. Give one a try first, as it may not be for you if you are used to the Peavey with its very pronounced mid range. Micky didn't heed my advice and just went straight for it and bought the Roland because of all of the good reports it has received.

The Roland has a very clean and clear sound for Telecaster, and I prefer the bright switch set to the off position on Fender Blackface setting. I use the JC Clean for pedal steel, and it sounds great for both E9 and C6. It has more useable headroom than the PV 112, and I just find it so much quicker to dial in a good tone as the tone controls are far more intuitive than a paramid section. Well to me anyway.

The Roland 12" speaker is exceptional, and can really take some stick without even starting to distort or break up. I have had mine over 2 years now, and value for money it is incredible. They do a 2 x 12" 200 watt job now, but it really defeats the whole object of getting a compact lightweight amp like the 80XL.

Try one (or two) and you won't be disappointed. As we say in the UK, they are the dogs testicles!! :)
Last edited by Ken Byng on 17 May 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Steven Finley

Post by Steven Finley »

Roger,after purchaseing my first cube with in a week
I bought a second cube,i was so well pleased I
sold my webb bradshaw,both my peaveys,and my evans,
and yes I to have a tele and it sounds fine through it.This is a amp you can play almost any thing through,and its light weight small size makes it
even better.
We all owe micky of the UK a big thank you
for turning us all on to this one.
Pete Nicholls

Post by Pete Nicholls »

I too, have bought a second 80XL. I'm playing my Stratocaster tonight, and perfectly happy with the sound from the little Roland amp. I tend to use the BlackFace or Tweed setting. I think there is a bit of a break in period for the speaker to develop it's full low end capability, as the one I have been using for the past six months seems to have a little more bottom end to it.
Good luck Roger, and Happy New Year.
Justice The Judge SD-10, 2007
Justice Pro Lite SD-10, 2011
Quilter Steelaire
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB
Dick Sexton

Roland Cube 80XL

Post by Dick Sexton »

I too, bought a second one. But one does most of the places I play these days. Tonight we'll play a little larger hall, I'll use my NV400 with the Eminance NEO speaker, but I'll have the Cube as a back up to that. Black Panel, sounds great and I like the sound at any level. Sort of a one amp, fits all. Mics well too... JMO
Kenneth Kotsay

Post by Kenneth Kotsay »

I've been playing my D-10 Zum through a new Roland 80XL Cube for almost one month. Outstanding sound from this amazing little lite weight amp, it has the sound I have always been struggling to get from my Peaveys.

I have discovered, you can have 4 programed settings that you call up at anytime, individually that is. So now I have two E-9th settings and two C-6th settings.

I'm still hanging onto my Peaveys, my Nashville 400 turns 21 years old this year, now how long do you think the Roland Cube 80xl will last???? Time will tell.

I strongly suggest buying one, the price is right.

Ken
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I'm sold, Kenneth!

The best price I can find is $399 - does anyone know of a better one? I'd rather not deal with 'unboxed' or 'used' items - the minimal savings aren't worth the risk.

I plan on getting one for now (funds are a little tight!) and I expect I'll get a second once I've: a) found that I like it and: b) saved more money!
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Pete Nicholls

Post by Pete Nicholls »

Justice The Judge SD-10, 2007
Justice Pro Lite SD-10, 2011
Quilter Steelaire
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Thanks, Pete - I have the amp on order.

Spending money I've yet to earn - there's a way to start the New Year!

:whoa:
Alex Cattaneo

Post by Alex Cattaneo »

Electric guitar doesn't sound very good in the Roland Cube XL, for the simple reason that electric guitar doesn't sound good in transistor amps.

For pedal steel, it totally works, because you need lots of clean headroom, but for guitar you need tubes. No matter how hard you try, you can't get the sound of tube amps with digital trickery.

Kenneth, how did you get those presets? I didn't know about that feature.

One thing that might interest Cube 80XL users is the fancy footswitch available on eBay... a bit too expensive for my taste though...
Alex Cattaneo

Post by Alex Cattaneo »

I should point out that I play guitar through the following vintage Fender amps: a 1962 Princeton Brownface, a Blackface 1966 Champ, and a particularly amazing Deluxe 1965.

So, while I'm not saying the Cube can't get the job done, it leaves me totally unimpressed as far as guitar tones go, because I'm used to vintage Fender amps.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Apparently, Alex, it makes a better job of it than the Nashville 112, though.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I like the guitar sounds I get with my Cube 80's, but I'm not a dyed in the wool tube junkie either. I have an older 80X that I play steel through, and play guitar through the newer 80XL. I have one of the 6 button foot switches that I like too. I don't play out anymore so I don't know how they would perform with a band, but they sound great in my studio.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

If you want a perfect guitar tube tone Alex, then really you are stuck with buying a tube amp. I think that the Roland Cube sounds pretty good for 6 string electric guitar, and IMHO it sounds much better than any of my 8 Peavey amps with my Tele. I can get crunchy or clean twang, or jazzy tones from the Roland and don't forget that it was originally designed for 6 string electrics in the first place. It was not designed as a steel guitar amp. Some jazz guitar forums have also picked up on the 80XL, and the fact that it will take big fat jazz chords without breaking up. Their previous option would have been a Polytone amp at over 4 times the price.

I also like the fact that the on board effects save me having to take effects pedals to smaller gigs when I use the Cube. Just guitars, volume pedal, seat and amp. I've said this before - if only it had been around 40 years ago - I was using a Fender Twin with JBL's. Match that with a big bodied D10 ZB. My back has never been quite right since those days.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Put a Black Box on it and that would be tube interesting.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

My new 80XL should be here by next Monday - I'm looking forward to it and I appreciate everyone's input here.

I'll also be interested to hear how my new Zum Encore performs through it, though the acid test will be some fat chords on the C neck of my Emmons.

And I thought I was done with buying amps!!!
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Kevin Hatton wrote:Put a Black Box on it and that would be tube interesting.
Kevin
That's exactly what I have started to do recently.

The Black Box does make a difference, but the Cube does stand up on its own for both steel and guitar for those who don't have a BB. My Bradshaw Webb sounds quite 'tubey' (without any additional enhancements) on switch position 2.

Roger
I play C6 through my Cube all the time, and it sounds great. Nice full bottom end, because the cabinet is fully enclosed the speaker doesn't flap about. The reason I went for the 80XL over 2 years ago is that the guitar player in one band I play in has a 30 watt Cube with a 10" Weber Neo speaker in it. It can be lifted up literally with a little finger, yet can match my Webb for volume. These things are just amazing. Mickey Adams has been using Roland Cubes for a while, and really rates them too.
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

Roger, since you already have a 112 here is an idea thats worth considering, i have a nash 112 and 2 cube 80XLs, i really like the sound of the cubes and the 112 was put away in the closet, so i decided to sell it but i thought i would put it back to like new condition first so i ordered 7 new pots cause they were either broke bent sratchy or all the above, a new vent cover new knobs where needed and four new feet, other than the pots it was all cosmetic, its about 8 or 9 years old so after i replced the pots i test drove it in my music room, the amp came alive and started sounding great so i coupled it with a cube and it turned out to be a really good pair, dont know why they sound so good together but they do. just did a new years gig monday and very well pleased with the 2, i dont play 6 string so i have no coment on that but maybe trying the 2 together may be a little cheaper way to start out.
Rittenberry SD10, 2 nashville 112s with telonics speaker, behringer EPQ450 power amp, 705 pups, Telonics FP-100, live steel strings, mogami cords, wet reverb
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Roger:

That's a nice idea but the main reason for my need for two amps is at my regular Summer gig for which I need an amp in each of two locations. If I get the second Roland as I intend then I may well keep a 112 as a back-up; in any case I like an amp in my room up there for practice. I also need two steels (definitely) and a third (maybe) for home practice - that's why I've just bought a Zum Encore to go with my two D-10 LeGrandes.

I also have one of Ken Fox' beautiful Vintage amps (modelled on the old Bassman) It's got the lightweight speaker and, of course, tubes but, to be honest, although it sounds fantastic on guitar and steel I'm nervous of travelling with and depending on a valve-amp. As a consequence it's sat here at home for almost two years - a crime for such a wonderful amplifier!

There are also two NV 400s here and a Roland Acoustic amp so I could do with clearing something out!
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

Didnt know you had all that stuff Roger, i have a better idea now of what your wanting to do, good luck and hope everything works out for the best
Rittenberry SD10, 2 nashville 112s with telonics speaker, behringer EPQ450 power amp, 705 pups, Telonics FP-100, live steel strings, mogami cords, wet reverb
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Thanks, Roger.

I'm probably, as I said, going to buy a second Roland - I want to try the amp first, though. Of course, there are recommendations here from guys that really know their stuff but it's only natural that I need to hear for myself.

The Austin people apparently offer a 10% voucher on a subsequent order - that'd bring the price down to about $341! We'll see....
Gary Patterson

Post by Gary Patterson »

This message is a bit late for Roger, but maybe someone else can benefit: I got my 80XL "direct" from the Roland rep, exhibiting at a vintage guitar show. A group known as the Three Amigos travel to various cities conducting these weekend shows at a local convention hall.

The Roland rep had a variety of products on display, including my Cube 80XL, which I bought on the last day for $300 out the door. He offered the box and packaging, but I left it with him to throw away. He was happy not to have to carry it out, and was apparently happy with the sale.

He had a local dealer in the adjacent booth handle the actual transaction, as he didn't have the means to accept direct payment.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

That's a super deal, Gary! How do you like the amp, or were you already familiar with them?
Gary Patterson

Post by Gary Patterson »

Like most on this forum, I'm very pleased with it. I had a Cube 20 and was happy with the features and sounds, but it wasn't quite enough in some situations. Based on that, and the various good reports I read here, I was on alert for an 80. I chatted up the Roland rep, who was completely unaware of the steel guitar application for this product.

I also have a Micro Cube which I bought on the spot the first time my local store had it in stock. In general, the product line is pretty remarkable.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

It would be great to hear some recordings of the Roland cubes in action. Even better, recordings of say, the NV 112 and the Cube, from the same player and the same guitar. Maybe then I would be able to hear what I am missing. Every time I play through my Roland 80x, I can only stand to listen to it for a few minutes. Back to the NV 112 for me. I sincerely hope it works out for you, Roger, the cube doesn't make it for me. But maybe it's just me, it looks like I am in the minority on this. I am willing to sell my 80x for 200 plus shipping, if anyone is interested.