My Christmas Suprize

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ricky Littleton
Location: Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA

My Christmas Suprize

Post by Ricky Littleton »

Okay, check this out you guys.

Christmas morning, my wife, Kate, and I were exchanging gifts when she game me a fair sized wrapped box. It was light, but one never knows. When I opened it, it turned out to be the nicest Christmas card I ever received.

On it she wrote a little poem telling me not to make any plans for the last part of the week and over the weekend because she had a surprize.

She explained that we had tickets leaving Orlando on friday morning for an undisclosed location.

I never had any inkling of where or what she had planned, but she kept dropping little hints, none of which were consistent enough for me to piece together a plan.

It wasn't until we arrived at our gate at Orlando International that I saw we were boarding a plane for Richmond, Virginia.

Somthing clicked - she had dropped a hint about feeding my history-buffness, so I surmised we were off to visit the Civil War battle grounds in that area. I was stoked!!!!

We arrived Richmond and began the drive up I64. I could see signs along the way with names like Spotsylvania and others so I KNEW we were heade to some museums.

Eventually we were heading along Constitution Highway when she said "...we need to make a left right up at that building ahead...". I had no clue until we turned into the parking lot and I realized we were pulling into Billy Cooper's Music Store! I flipped out!

She asked "you've heard of this place?"

To which I replied, "EVERYBODY knows about Billy Cooper and his shop! I drool on the website regularly."

I was sooooooo flabbergasted about this incredible gift and how she pulled it off without giving a hint.

Now tell me, is that a Wife or what???? I am indeed a lucky and Blessed husband!

The visit was wonderful. Wanda and BIlly were expecting us and welcomed us. Billy showed us around the store and his repair shop. We told stories and talked steel for 2 hours.

I was sooooooo mesmerized by the guitars on the wall - from the little '38 Rick, to the ~64-65 Emmons that was the FIRST serialized model. Of course the new guitars on the floor keep BEGGING me to take one of them home but alas with much consternation, I resisted that but picked up some of Billy's wonderful CD's and other items.

I was so overtaken by the surprize that I failed to ask Billy alot of questions, but I do believe that a follow-up visit is in my future.

For anyone who hasn't been, Billy's place is a must see. There have never been two nicer people than Billy and his wife Wanda.

As for me, I have sooooo very much to be thankful for in this Holiday season - a new home, a new job and most importantly, the best partner and wife and man could ever hope to pass through life with - my Kate. She never fails to challenge, surprize and inspire me!

I just wanted to share this little story with my SGF friends.

Ricky...

Emmons LeGrande - 8x4,
Gwin Steel custom tube amplifier ,Goodrich Volume pedal, Peterson VS-II Tuner, E-Bow, Bo-Bro
Sherman Willden

Post by Sherman Willden »

Very nice surprise. Enjoyed the pictures
Sherman L. Willden
It is easy to play the steel guitar. Playing so that the audience finds it pleasing is the difficult act.
Kevin Lichtsinn

Post by Kevin Lichtsinn »

Very, very nice!! :)
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I believe that the guys' photo on the wall by, "001" was the original owner of it and the other guitar as well. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I think the world of Wanda and Billy; incredible wonderful christians, IMO.
Dearl Roughton

Trip

Post by Dearl Roughton »

My wife did something similar. She gave me a trip to Washington DC to see the Redskins Vs. Cowboys game this pass Sunday. We drove up and as soon as we passed thru Richmond I thought of Billy's. I will be coming back up this way and will make the time to stop in. I am still in DC right now but will on my way back tomorrow. Great Story and glad you had a great time.
Joe Gall

Post by Joe Gall »

Awesome story, great gift and what a wonderful wife you have. It is truly a blessing to have a partner in life who understands us and shares our passion and or hobbies in life. I am also blessed with a wonderful wife so I know how you feel, sure make life a pleasure doesn't it?
Been at this damn thing for a few years now. Not so sure that I'm getting anywhere but it is fun. Sometimes.