Classic Buddy Cage steel w/ New Riders

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Carlucci

Classic Buddy Cage steel w/ New Riders

Post by Bob Carlucci »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAn8jIkNiZc

This is a really great version of a timeless country honk tonk tune... Buddy is at his best- laying loud E9 palm blocked licks and fills over Marmaduke's lead vocals... I have not heard this early live version before.. I think its from a German TV show, decades ago, they all looked like kids, and Buddy and Dave Nelson are much older men now...Dave Torbert, Spencer Dryden, and John Dawson have all passed on. Gotta love Buddy's country rock "bounce".. Great stuff...enjoy... bob
Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 29 Dec 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Thanks, Bob. It's tunes like this that got me interested in steel.
Pete Conklin

Post by Pete Conklin »

+1 Jeff. Love Buddy Cage!
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

I was young and impressionable when I first heard Buddy Cage with NRPS, and indeed an impression was made.
Is it my imagination or does he refuse to play that way anymore?
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

I saw him last month and he did not play that way.
At all.
Bummer
Maybe it was just that night?
BTW- The band is still awesome, I really enjoyed it.

Jay
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Living in the Bay Area most of my life, these guys were part of the "home team," I saw the band in their prime years play a bunch of times, and I can recall enjoying every minute of it.

When I look at this now - still enjoy it just fine and mean no disrespect to Marmaduke, Nelson and the others - but it occurs to me all these years later that musically speaking, Buddy Cage is almost like a man among boys back then. In this video, he really carries the tune.

I sure like the chick at the beginning - nice touch! 8)
Mark
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Maybe she's a "ridee", Mark :)
Dave O'Brien

Buddy

Post by Dave O'Brien »

It's the ring!
Dave O'Brien
Emmons D-10, CMI D-10, Fender Deluxe Reverb, PV 112, Fender Pro Reverb
www.myspace.com/daveobrienband
Dana Blodgett

buddy cage

Post by Dana Blodgett »

I loved these guys,Buddy,JD Manness,Lloyd Green were the main inspiration for learning the PSG.There was something intriguing about John Dawson's singing also. He was an accomplished song writer too. I saw them on New year's eve in SF in'71 I believe, They blew the doors off of the Dead!
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Buddy played great back then, and then I think the life style got to him for a number of years. Good to hear that he's playing again.

Joe
Mike Daly

Post by Mike Daly »

I spent many an hour with New Riders records learning from Buddy Cage. The chromatic run on the live version of "Hello Mary Lou', "Panama Red", I could go on and on...but you all know what I am talking about...He had attitude and enthusiasm...And an Emmons while I was on my second Sho-Bud..
bruce fischer

Post by bruce fischer »

anyone know how buddy is doing?
havent heard anything..........
sho-bud super pro II, blue darlin' VI
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

When I look at this now - still enjoy it just fine and mean no disrespect to Marmaduke, Nelson and the others - but it occurs to me all these years later that musically speaking, Buddy Cage is almost like a man among boys back then. In this video, he really carries the tune.
"Panama Red" was a good album, but that was a band of mismatches. There's a ton of their concerts on Sugarmegs.org, but you don't really need to hear "Six Days on the Road" 200 times. When Garcia was playing steel, he led the band because he was the best player there - and of course, he wasn't, umm, totally great... when Spencer Dryden & Buddy Cage joined, they sort-of led the band - as the non-singing backline? David Nelson never got any better, it remained a happy hippie amusement to him forever. And Buddy Cage might have been far better served playing with good guitarists, good singers and good songwriters. Commander Cody was the same way, if you treat your own band as a novelty act, it'll only stay funny till the dope runs out. Dr. Hook, Dan Hicks & his Hot Licks....
John Scanlon

Post by John Scanlon »

So nice. BC's playing (especially from this era) is still inspiring new steel players today in 2012, this guy included.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

That video is a study in the power of uptempo palm blocking. In their prime, they were smokin. I saw both Garcia and Cage in those bands.
Mark Dershaw

Post by Mark Dershaw »

Loved him then... and love him now. This sound still brings me happiness. I would have had no interest in this band at all if it hadn't been for Buddy Cage. :?
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

I'm assuming that Buddy is doing well, they are playing tonight in Connecticut and have had a pretty busy schedule this last week.

I saw them 2 years ago and they were great
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

I have to say that the comparison with Commander Cody is unfair, to a degree..
The Airmen had a great rhythm section, sounds tight even now. Not too tight,though :)
Bill Kirchen, Andy Stein. Great musicians... Bobby Black....
Commander himself is another story, but compared to the NRPS the band sounded whole and audiences not familiar with country heard many different styles played well and with respect. Tongue in cheek, yes, but not selling themselves short musically.
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Dave O'Brien

Nrps

Post by Dave O'Brien »

IMHO Spencer Dryden was an amazing drummer.
Dave O'Brien
Emmons D-10, CMI D-10, Fender Deluxe Reverb, PV 112, Fender Pro Reverb
www.myspace.com/daveobrienband
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

Before the Riders, didn`t Buddy play with Ian and Sylvia`s band?
With Amos Garret on guitar?
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Yes Olli,

And he also played with Anne Murray. He met Jerry Garcia on the Festival Express Train tour in Canada or so I am told.

Happy New Year!
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

They were The Great Speckled Bird and made one album on the Bearsville label. Interesting clip no Amos Garret, but with Buddy Cage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZK-Zc_7-Xo
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Buddy also played with a band called Hog Heaven.. Album cover had little pink pigs with angel wings flying through the clouds.. It was buddy at his best.. Much more intricate playing than he did with NRPS.. It was absolutely awash with buddy's steel playing..
Loaned the album out to another steel player decades ago, and never saw it again... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Here's some trivia for you guys. I was just surfing around and discovered "Hog Heaven" was initially formed by the Shondells (remember them with Tommy James????) after Tommy James came off the road. Buddy Cage was added shortly thereafter...
Larry Tracy

Post by Larry Tracy »

I just saw the New Riders last month in Auburn at the Auburn Event center. Great place to see bands. Has the vibe of a smaller ballroom. The band that opened had Pete Grant on steel. He sang a great version of Stella Blue by the Dead and did a great solo in that song. Sounded great all set. Then the Riders came on. The band sounded great and Buddy did a couple of cool solos but seemed to be just cruising. But the second set he took it up a notch and sounded great the whole set. Pete sat in a couple of times. It was good night for steel guitars. David Nelson's guitar playing is better than ever. Was playing a nashville tele with b-bender through a Mesa Boogie. Buddy was playing a red Emmons double neck converted to a single neck thru a Fender twin. Pete was playing his 12 string Williams thru a Webb I think. The Riders did about 5 or 6 old songs but mainly concentrated on newer stuff. It was a great night.