Why are the individual notes of a chord are not in tune?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

b0b

Post by b0b »

The Peterson tuning is configured to tune the open strings. If you place the bar at the 5th fret, it will not give you correct readings. The C# note is the A pedal on the 5th string, but at the 5th fret it's on the 6th string with no pedals.

Since the tuner is configured for just intonation of open strings, all bets are off if you try to measure notes at barred frets.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

It's that old problem, Just Intonation, rearing its ugly head once again. :roll:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... emperament
See the discussion above.

In days of yore, everything was played in Amin or C, and instruments were designed to play in just those two keys. Why ? Because the frequency of the notes changes with each key. For instance, the C in the key of G is not the same note as the C in the key of F, or the C in the key of C.

You see it's impossible to tune an instrument to play in every key. During the 1700s they came up with Equal Temperament, where the keys are averaged, and slightly out of tune in every key. Every keyboard instrument comes tuned like that. Along comes a steel guitarist, and decides to tune his guitar in natural temperament, so that the open strings are tuned perfectly with each other, and he's immediately out of tune with the keyboard players.

Fortunately, the steel guitarist applies vibrato, and the amount of his vibrato encompasses both the natural and equal temperament tunings. The answer to your problem is, keep your bar moving. :D
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Fortunately, the steel guitarist applies vibrato, and the amount of his vibrato encompasses both the natural and equal temperament tunings. The answer to your problem is, keep your bar moving.
Alan, I don't know if you meant this as a joke or not but for anybody reading it is absolutely false. If you are not in tune without vibrato you are not in tune with vibrato.
Bob
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Roger Rettig wrote: I get my 'E's (or Cs) in tune and use my ears from there.
I think you and Ray on really on the same page. :wink: That's what all us old timers did, and it's still the standard and accepted way of doing things. Digital tuners can be helpful, but they're no "magic bullet". If you can't tell with your ear when something is "in" or "out", you have a serious handicap when it comes to playing this instrument. With the popularity of digital tuners growing, some players have the idea that all you really need is a good tuner to take care of tuning problems, but that's simply not the case.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Bob Hoffnar wrote:...Alan, I don't know if you meant this as a joke or not but for anybody reading it is absolutely false. If you are not in tune without vibrato you are not in tune with vibrato.
No, not meant as a joke, Bob. Jerry Byrd was once quoted, when asked how much vibrato to add, that you should imagine you were using an eraser. The very act of applying vibrato means that you're oscillating between being flat, on the note, and then sharp, several times a second. If you use an eraser you move the rubber end about 5 mm. 5 mm is greater than the variation between the position of the frets in tempered or natural scales, so in applying vibrato you are as much in tune in both scales. In fact, since most steel guitarists aren't looking at the neck, they're just playing by ear, they will automatically tend towards what sounds better when taken together with the rest of the band.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Being as I never met or worked with Jerry Byrd I am not qualified to speak for him. From listening to him and reading his book, interviews and letters I would say you have misinterpreted his statement about tuning.

As long as we are on the subject.
This is an absolutely ridiculous statement also:
Along comes a steel guitarist, and decides to tune his guitar in natural temperament, so that the open strings are tuned perfectly with each other, and he's immediately out of tune with the keyboard players.
Most all the greatest players ever of the steel guitar tune "natural" and sound fine with keyboard players. All the steel you hear on recordings that where recorded before digital tuners would be included in the "natural" group as well as most everybody that gets paid enough to make a living that has been working after the invention of digital tuners.

Donny Hinson has got it exactly right in his last post.
Bob
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Alan, I never thought of using vibrato by playing the note and rolling it flat and sharp. I try to hit the note and roll flat and then back to the note. I try to avoid sharp.
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Vincent Lenci

Post by Vincent Lenci »

Sometimes my guitar will tune just right at the "E"s at 440 other times at 449. But it's wicked to tune when taking it out in colder weather!
Williams D10 8&8 1988 maple burl
Vox VTX 150 Pro ,AD 120 valvetronix
asst Peaveys 500,Renown, MX vtx
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Bob Hoffnar wrote:...Donny Hinson has got it exactly right in his last post.
Yes, I don't think there's any inconsistncy in what you, I or Donny wrote. I've never used an electronic tuner, by the way. I don't own one. I tune entirely by ear and I play by ear without giving the fingerboard more than a passing glance.
But then, I'm no Jerry Byrd or Buddy Emmons. :oops: :lol: :lol:
Allen Kentfield

tuning

Post by Allen Kentfield »

Hans,
The tuning thing is a real can of worms. A steel player has got to develop his sense of relative pitch. Tune your E (on E9) 1/2hz sharp to the tuner and tune your open major chords (by ear)in order: B, C#, Dma7 and A7. The A should end up at 440. Winnie Winston's harmonic tuning method should be studied, as well as music theory, and the circle of fifths.8)
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

the peterson tuner or any other tuner basically is used to tune at fret 0 or frets 4 Yes ! 4 /5/7/12 w: harmonics
once you put the bar on the frets, forget about referring back to the tuner
let your ears be your guide
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Have you thought of tuning to a Xylophone ?
I have a set of xylophone slats laid out in C6 tuning.
Sam Stewart

Post by Sam Stewart »

Has anyone considered that your ears are integrally connected to you nasal passages? Tune with your ears when your have clogged sinuses or a cold which has your head clogged. Clean out your nasal passages and then check your tuning. Ah ha!!! A tuner does not have this problem, It is consistant. I am not advocating a tuner is the way just pointing out a fact of nature. :)
b0b

Post by b0b »

Alan Brookes wrote:Have you thought of tuning to a Xylophone ?
I have a set of xylophone slats laid out in C6 tuning.
My marimba is tuned ET to A=442 Hz. It sounds fine when played with an A=440 Hz band, probably because its tone is unique and it doesn't sustain. I would never tune my steel guitar to it, though. When I listen with a critical ear, I hear that the thirds are sharp and the chords have those beats that you hear in any keyboard instrument.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Vincent Lenci

Post by Vincent Lenci »

Maybe the reason may singing sounds bad when
I cover my ears and hold my nosed and a friend covers my mouth!
Williams D10 8&8 1988 maple burl
Vox VTX 150 Pro ,AD 120 valvetronix
asst Peaveys 500,Renown, MX vtx
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

I love threads like this, they serve no purpose, they go no where, they are filled with emotion and absolutes. Really enjoyable while taking a break, keep up the good work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.