Pack-a-seat too low?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alex Cattaneo

Pack-a-seat too low?

Post by Alex Cattaneo »

Someone in my neck of the woods is selling a pack-a-seat, which is pretty incredibly rare in my area. First time I see one in fact. Thing is, it's 21" high, and I need at least 22". What can I do to make it fit? Change the legs? How much would that set me back?
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

1 inch, hmmmm, if it were me, I'd first consider an additional cushion of some sort. If that isn't viable, maybe some type of leg riser...think crutch tips. Idk, just a thought.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

You can put some 1" blocks where the legs attach to the base of the seat.
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Erv Niehaus wrote:You can put some 1" blocks where the legs attach to the base of the seat.
Even better, :)
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I ended up epoxy-ing in some dowels inside the tubes and putting a cap on the end. Works well.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Alex, all the above are good ideas...You have to see the way the pack seat is built to decide how to add an inch.Adding onto the legs may inhibit folding it up...I've found on some you can add 1x pine spacer between the top and the cushion(see pics-spacer btw blue tape). Another factor is cushion firmness(how far you sink into it)My Steeler's Choice and my SteelSeat Lite appear the same height(21") but I sit an inch taller on SS Lite because of the firmer cushion,ERGO you could just change the foam! JS
Last edited by John Swain on 16 Dec 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howard Steinberg

Post by Howard Steinberg »

I may be wrong but I think that 21" may be standard height for a pack seat. I think that John's idea for a higher cushion is a good bet. The late pianist Errol Garner was a short man who used to play sitting on the Manhattan yellow pages. I think a cushion would be more comfortable.
Justice Pro Lite (4-5), Justice D-10 (8-5)x2 , Quilter Steelaire, Hilton Pedal, BJ's bar.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

What Erv said. Did that to an Emmons seat I bought about twenty years ago. Still use it. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Tony Williamson

Post by Tony Williamson »

carry you around a 25x25 piece of one inch plywood. plop the legs down on it. sit. :D
stelling banjos . shobud ldg and superpro/ martin hd28v weber mandolin, session 400, danelectro delay, korg d3200, bose L1 x2
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

Aluminum "short" with wood interior dowel fastened with pan head screws and a lab foot for good measure.
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Erv...great thinking there and the easy way to do it :D

Micky Byrne U.K.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Micky,
This subject reminds me of a story.
The old farmer was having trouble getting his mule in the barn because he kept brushing his ears on the mantle of the door.
He was planning to jack up the barn.
His neighbor suggested just digging out a bit under the door.
The old farmer said that the trouble was with the mule's ears, not his hoofs. :lol:
Gary Cosden

Post by Gary Cosden »

Obviously there are several ways to do this. I had an old sho-bud seat that I raised with 3/4" blocks and it worked out well. If you go this route you will also need new bolts for the extra height as well as a block for the retainer for the legs. If I had it to do over again I would probably do something very similar to what Brian McGaughey is showing in his post. A simple elegant solution.
And by the way - if you ever do but a new seat I highly recommend the height adjustment option offered by Steelseat.com. Every seat should have one!
Randy Brown

Post by Randy Brown »

On my Steeler's Choice seat, I used some threaded inserts and adjustable feet, from Alliance express, to raise it up.

http://www.alliance-express.com/round-p ... ed-inserts

Here are the parts I used:
LRT1140A (round insert, 1" O.D. guage 18)
AFB1015A (adjustable foot, 1" base, 2" long bolt for adjustment)

The parts themselves came to about $9, but Alliance has a $15 minimum order, plus shipping costs. You might consider buying enough for 2 seats (to meet the minimum order) and reselling the other set.

I've had these on my seat for over a year now, and it works GREAT! It looks very professional and the feet are adjustable which is handy if the floor is not level.
Alex Cattaneo

Post by Alex Cattaneo »

Yes! Thanks Randy, that's a perfect solution.
Bruce W Heffner

Kudo's Randy

Post by Bruce W Heffner »

This is a great idea from Randy. The only other way to do it cleanly is to order the seat with the taller legs or post order a set of legs which can get pricey. For me, with an Emmons guitar the 1", taller really is an advantage; however, with a Carter or a Magnum the standard height is better. Thanks again Randy.

Bruce W
Bruce W Heffner AKA Wally

"We live in Arizona now."

Payson, AZ
Randy Brown

Post by Randy Brown »

I snapped a couple of pictures in case anyone is curious.
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

My first professional steel seat was too high...but I had been used to various seats like beer cases on folding chairs, so I just used it until, viola, one day it felt comfortable.
Bruce W Heffner

Hey Randy Question

Post by Bruce W Heffner »

I received the inserts you referenced LRT1140A. Did you have to persuade them to go in? If so, did you beat them in, open the tube up or shave the diameter of the inserts? The inserts are at least .010 larger than Rollans black plugs. Before I get radical please advise.

Thanks,

Bruce
Bruce W Heffner AKA Wally

"We live in Arizona now."

Payson, AZ
Randy Brown

Post by Randy Brown »

Bruce, they were snug. I did have to tap them in gently with a hammer, but nothing radical. I didn't have to modify anything. Perhaps the legs on your seat have a different wall thickness than mine.
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

Guys me being a fabricator it appears that Brian has the best idea of all and looks stronger and a better support for the player . Look how neat it looks and simple to do . All the stress will be on the add on and not on the wood inside . G.P.
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

So you pac-a-seat builders can now add that option.

Thanx,
Jim