Steel Guitar Ring Tones

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Sichak

Steel Guitar Ring Tones

Post by Dave Sichak »

Don't know why it took me so long to get into the cell phone game since I'm a bit of a tech person. But the wife and I got our iPhones over the weekend. She'd been pestering me and I was leaning towards an Android type, but our company standardized on support for iPhone. Alas, hard for an OS/2 rabid person to accept.

But I got to thinking - are there steel guitar ring tones for cell phones? I'm thinking I'd have the steel guitar lick from Together Again on Buck's tune for one, Don Helms doing Hey Good Lookin' on another, Brother Oswald doing Carry Me Back to the Mountains for another. And definitely would have to have a Jerry Byrd one in there somewhere as well.

Are there such things out there? Or do you roll your own to do so?

Maybe not technically a steel guitar player question - but I am trying to hook them into today's technology.

But what would Alexander Graham Bell think of what they'd done to his invention?
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

It;s an iPhone.....so there's a app for that!

I use Ringtone Creator Pro.....make a ringtone of anything in your iTunes library. You just add the tone back into iTunes and then select it for whatever you want to use it for...

Actually, all the app does is allow you to edit it down to 40 seconds and change the file type to ringtone....but it doesn't cost much and is convenient to use.
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

OS/2 rabid
?

I haven't encountered an active version of that OS in years. I still have an unopened virgin shrinkwrapped copy in my closet....

Something about "multitasking/multithreading"?

Those baby steps are fun to revisit.......
Lawyers are done: Emmons SD-10, 3 Dekleys including a D10, NV400, and lots of effects units to cover my clams...
Dave Sichak

Post by Dave Sichak »

Ray,

At one time I had an original copy of Microsoft OS/2 on 5.25 inch floppies...

But I have created a ringtone! No software really needed other than what I have. I took the steel guitar interlude from Buck's Together Again, cut to about 30 seconds.

Then per some instructions I found, you upload the wav file to iTunes on your computer.

Right click and select "Create AAC Version".

Drag the resulting file to your desktop and change the file extension from *.m4r to *.m4a.

Double click on the renamed file and it should open in iTunes as a ringtone.

Sync your iPhone with your iTunes on your computer and it becomes a ringtone you can select.

So when my wife calls, I hear that steel guitar melody from Buck's tune.

I've created a few others - Oz doing Carry Me Back to the Mountains, one by Jerry Byrd, etc.

If I'm going to have an iPhone, may as well make it unique!
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

That's all you have to do....except change from .m4a to .m4r, not the other way....
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Jeff Valentine

Post by Jeff Valentine »

Yes, they're right. Anything pulled into itunes with a .m4r extension will automatically be pulled into the ringtones folder. It does have to be 30 seconds or less for this to happen. It pulls it in so quickly you won't really even see it. Once you plug your iphone in it will sync, putting all those ringtones on there. If you can use pro tools it's easy to chop those audio files into pieces. That's another way to do it that works well.

-Jeff
Darrell Birtcher

ringtone discoveries

Post by Darrell Birtcher »

Got a funny story about ringtones.
My girfriend, who is super supportive of all my steel efforts,
wanted a ringtone clip of Steel Guitar Rag. She found two and chose the free one. When she played it for me it knocked me out and sounded familiar. When I asked her who it was she said "Lloyd somebody."
You guessed it, she totally stumbled onto the excellence of Lloyd Green! Next thing you know she found and bought the album that the clip came from along with the famous Charley Pride in Person album that heavily featured Lloyd and has been written about so much.
Kinda funny that she came upon all this greatness thru a search for a ringtone!