Know anything about banjo's?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jeff Metz Jr.

Know anything about banjo's?

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

I have recently acquired a 5 string banjo. The headstock says EAGLE on it. It has a resonator, "mother of pearl" inlays. I cannot find one thing on this instrument. If it helps the banjo has 2 rings on the back being Yellow and baby blue.
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Jeff... If you could post a photo or two it would be extremely helpful.
Thom Gustafson

Post by Thom Gustafson »

You could also get info at the Collector's Corner forum at the Banjo Hangout.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Whatever you do Jeff, don't ask b0b for advice! :)
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

Not sure without photos, but I think "Eagle" was the brand of kit banjos--the early foundation of Stewart-McDonald, now a wide-ranging source for stringed-instrument parts and luthier supplies.
"Gopher, Everett?"
Gary Shepherd

Post by Gary Shepherd »

A general answer as to the quality of a banjo is, "the heavier, the better." Cheap, crappy banjos are normally made with an aluminum pot. The good ones are all mad from more substantial metal like steel or brass. This is a very generic view but is generally correct.
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

they are really good for driving nails when you dont have a hammer
Lavon Chappell

Post by Lavon Chappell »

Joseph Barcus wrote:they are really good for driving nails when you dont have a hammer
:lol:
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Post by Michael T. Hermsmeyer »

Ben is correct, but seeing a photo would help.
Currently retired from performing music in Branson, MO
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE, Bray Resonator Guitar,'95 DOBRO F60S, '85 Dobro 60DS, '95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1948 National Grand Console D-8, 1951 Supro Clipper S-6. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps...

www.onemancountryshow.com

www.facebook.com/utilityman2000
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Joseph is also correct... LOL!!!
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE, Bray Resonator Guitar,'95 DOBRO F60S, '85 Dobro 60DS, '95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1948 National Grand Console D-8, 1951 Supro Clipper S-6. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps...

Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Here's an ad from Elderly Instruments for a Stew-Mac Diamond Eagle kit banjo, Jeff. Don't know if the photos in it will help you out.

http://www.elderly.com/items/70U-2143.htm
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

Is the banjo for sale or only undergoing investigation? Does it sound good -- as banjos go?
Joseph Barcus wrote:they are really good for driving nails when you dont have a hammer
I like my Hitachi framing nailer for big nails, and my old Pentax camera for finish nails. Accordians work well for all types of nails :lol:
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Lee Bartram

Post by Lee Bartram »

I had a buddy that used to say that the best sound a banjo made was when it hit the bottom of a dumster!! :lol:
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Lee, Only when it hits the accordion!!! If it doesnt hit the sides, its considered perfect pitch!!!

Oh the women that have run when they found out I played both banjo and accordion!!!!!
and MESA BOOGIE Amps...

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Sorry, I got off topic...

Does the Eagle banjo you have, have a resonator? The fact that you mentioned the yellow and blue rings would suggest that it does. There are two types of Gibson style banjos... resonator or open back... On top of that, there are two main types of tone rings, flathead and archtop. The flathead is your standard Scruggs style. The archtop, such as Ralph Stanley used, has a smaller raised ring about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in from the rim that essentially makes the head surface smaller thus providing a higher pitch. As far as the percussive properties are concerned. The banjo strings are still tuned to standard pitch.

There are also the Vega style banjos, think old Grandpa Jones/Stringbean style, which used a brass or steel tone "hoop" which was fitted onto the top of the wood rim... These were mainly open back banjos and pre date the Gibson Mastertones of the 20s and 30s that Earl Scruggs and Don Reno played.

The stew mac Eagles that I have seen had a Vega style hoop.

The photo that was shared earlier in this post is a Gibson style resonator or bluegrass type banjo. The open back is mainly the same, just without the resonator and the flange that it attaches to.

Most of the Eagle kits that I have seen are open backs, but there could have been resonator models. The photo above appears to be a banjo made from a later selection of Stew Mac parts. These can actually be very good banjos depending on the skill of the builder. You would be surprised how many Professionally built banjos use these same parts.

But, this is all speculation without seeing the actual photos of your actual banjo...
and MESA BOOGIE Amps...

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Here is a link to the Stewart macdonald Eagle Banjo Kit Instructions PDF. This is similar to the eagles that I have seen, but this is a bit modernized. As a luthier, you could add or subtract features during construction. Color, inlays, etc... This manual dates to 2003.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/a-banjo ... ilding.pdf
and MESA BOOGIE Amps...

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

;-) Yes I just saw that your original post says resonator... :-)
and MESA BOOGIE Amps...

Mike Eisler

Eagle Banjo

Post by Mike Eisler »

Jeff:

You could always call Gruhn Guitars in Nashville, TN.
They are experts on vintage instruments. I don't recognize the brand myself.

Mike
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

Michael T. Hermsmeyer wrote:.. Only when it hits the accordion!!! ...
There still exists controversy over which was first in the dumpster, sounds like another version of "the chicken or the egg"

Hopefully it's worth what you paid for it :)

Does this help?

www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/a-banjobuildin ... ilding.pdf
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown