Reverb pedals

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Behm

Reverb pedals

Post by Larry Behm »

Yesterday I tried several of the best reverb pedals at Guitar Center. They had a Fender Deluxe set up as the amp. I tried the pedals, put them all away and then thought, THERE IS A REAL FENDER REVERB sitting right there, why did I not compare IT to the pedals. So I got the pedals and guitar out again and started over.

There is a world of difference as we all know. I wonder how I can save money on a real Fender spring reverb unit. Someone should make these at a good price, not fancy just sturdy.

Larry Behm
971-219-8533
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

There are several kits available... Weber has several versions that include a tremelo/vibrato as well for <$500. Looks interesting to me!

http://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_weber.htm

Triode has some parts kits... you'll need to provide your own case, etc. Cheaper, though.

http://store.triodestore.com/diy-fender ... b-k15.html
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

Doesn't cost much more than a kit:
http://texotica.net/?product=texotica-reverb
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

I have a RV-3 and just started using my Pod XT with a band... It was odd at first coming out of the P.A. but after a couple of songs it was no problem.
The Pod is really impressive but a bit of a learning curve for me.
Sure is nice to have a super light weight package instead of an amp.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Steve Ahola

Re: Reverb pedals

Post by Steve Ahola »

Larry Behm wrote:Yesterday I tried several of the best reverb pedals at Guitar Center. They had a Fender Deluxe set up as the amp. I tried the pedals, put them all away and then thought, THERE IS A REAL FENDER REVERB sitting right there, why did I not compare IT to the pedals. So I got the pedals and guitar out again and started over.
So that was a Fender `63 Reissue Reverb Unit that you were comparing to the pedals? Just making sure...

I bought a Lee Jackson "Mr. Springgy" from a forum member and it is my favorite reverb pedal. It is 100% analog and has a very musical sound to it. It doesn't sound exactly like the reverb in the Fender combo amps but I prefer it to the digital modeling pedals.

http://www.pedalspluseffectswarehouse.c ... rsprng.htm

Steve Ahola

P.S. The only reverb pedals I've seen at the local GC are definitely not among the best unless they happened to get one in used. Too bad you missed out on a Peavey ValveVerb at eBay for $280. It is an all-tube spring reverb rack unit with tremelo. The reverb is nice but I'm not crazy about the tremelo (it seems to have a different wave shape than the old Fenders.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Valvever ... 0802348529
Bobby Snell

Post by Bobby Snell »

Hardwire RV-7, with the advertised Lexicon reverbs, is versatile, under $190, and sounds real good to my battered ears.
Tom Wolverton

HoF

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I've tried a bunch of 'em. I've settled on the Hall of Fame. Just like it a lot and the features are easy to tweak. Not too bad on the wallet either.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

The Strymon FLINT is pretty amazing at reverb. Tremolo is too and is there if you want it. The folks at Strymon feel that the FLINT is their best reverb pedal. It's hall and plate are amazing, but the Spring is as good as a digital emulation gets, worth checking out.

B
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

This is the best reverb pedal I've ever heard. Plus it has a built in +20 db clean boost.

But....since I also have Strymon's Lex (which is outstanding), I'm sure their Flint is top notch as well!
Paul Brainard

Post by Paul Brainard »

Oops I posted this on your other topic yesterday. . ..

Hey Larry, great playing at the Jam this weekend! I just picked up one of the Fender FRV-1 pedals to try out. I have a re-issue Fender tube unit which I like pretty well, had it redone all point-to-point a while back and it sounds great. But most of the time I don't like to haul it around so I've been using a Holy Grail which I never really liked that much (although the "Flurb" setting is interestng sometimes.) This Fender pedal sounds a little better to my ear - though probably not quite totally equal to the real thing. But I was torn between that and the Boss RV-5, which actually sounded very similar.

I'm wondering, as a stereo pedal, can I use the RV-5 with two separate instruments, going to two separate channels on my amp, without mixing the signals? Basically get two single-channel reverb pedals in one. . . this would be going into my early-60's Fender Pro which I love but of course it doesn't have verb - would be handy to have it on both sides for guitar & steel!
Dennis Smith

Post by Dennis Smith »

Hi has anyone tried a VanAmps-Soul Mate spring reverb. It's larger than you averge pedal, about four times. They also make a cheaper,about $35. less with the spring in a different box that you mount somewhere. There on ebay and a bunch of video demos on youtube.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I use the Boss 63 Reverb Pedal on steel and on my guitar and love it. It to me is as close to the real thing as you can get.
Paul Brainard

Post by Paul Brainard »

I took the Fender FRV-1 back (63 tank emulator), it sounded very different on the gig from when I was trying it out - way too bright (even with the tone knob down) and I didn't like how the reverb decays ended. I didn't find it that much like my actual tube/tank unit.

Trying out the Boss RV-5 now. . . starting to get spendy enough to look at some of the boutique ones.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I found the Holy Grail pretty good.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

Check this out too ! Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb. I like it....

http://www.mpamp.com/pedal/pedals-ssr.htm
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Johnny Thomasson

Post by Johnny Thomasson »

I played through a '65 Twin Reverb for 25 years and as far as I'm concerned, that's the benchmark for reverb. When I switched to solid state Peavey amps ~8 years ago, after trying out everything they had at Guitar Center at the time, I settled on the Boss RV-5. That was before Boss came out with their '63 Deluxe Reverb pedal; I've never tried one of those. The RV-5 isn't quite on par with the reverb in my Twin, but I can dial it in pretty darn close... close enough to suit me. I know there are high-end reverb pedals out there that are better, but in terms of bang for the buck the RV-5 is pretty hard to beat, IMO. I like and use the RV-3 a lot too, but for stand alone reverb, I think the RV-5 is the better of the two. I'll have to try a '63 Deluxe Reverb pedal someday; I might decide I like it more. For me, Boss pedals have been 100% reliable and trouble free.
Johnny Thomasson