The Rise of the 8 string and Fall of the 10 string PSG!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dale Kath

The Rise of the 8 string and Fall of the 10 string PSG!

Post by Dale Kath »

Since I have switched from a 10 string to an 8 string... I have come to the logical conclusion--- take off those 2 top strings to enjoy a frustration free playing session. You do not have to twist your brain around this ill conceived tuning method, where the strings do not raise intone in a linear manner. Truthfully, how many of you 10 stringers spend the majority of your time playing taking extra effort muting those top 2 strings? I also say this in the hopes that current PSG makers will offer more 8 string PSGs. Not everyone wants an old Fender 400! 8,10, 12....14 strings? How about we stop at 8 and let the music flow?
Carter SD10
Steel Guitar Black Box
Heritage h535
Epiphone viola bass
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I use ALL 10 strings all the time. Could never go to an 8 string. The only people I hear talk about the first 2 strings negatively are the one's that don't understand their purpose or have a sloppy right hand and hit them by accident. Practice will take care of both of those problems.
How about we stop at 8 and let the music flow?
The industry shouldn't go backwards and limit all the others that do understand and are good enough with their right hand to make good use of those strings.

Of course anyone can choose to play what they want and develop their style around it.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

I happen to agree with Richard, but that being said...there are some excellent builders who will built an 8 string PSG or most any other configuration you want. Once you learn to incorporate the chromatic strings, you wouldn't be without them.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

The top two weren't added to make it a more frustrating instrument, but less... the added harmonies, chord extensions and hot licks are IMO some of the most interesting and iconic sounds in the E9 tuning. I have to agree with Richard on this one. Take some time and effort to explore just why they evolved and are still there on most guitars!
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

By all means remove strings 1 and 2.
The only reason they are there is to make fools out of lead guitar players who want to plunk around on your steel.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

deleted
Last edited by Joachim Kettner on 25 Nov 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

The more I play,the more uses I find for the chromatic strings.YMMV
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

If there was no D- sharp string which could be flattened to D, I wouldn't be able to play "Buckaroo".
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Don Drummer

Post by Don Drummer »

I switched to an 8 string once when someone let me borrow a Gibson Electra Harp. I had sold the sho bud for urgent financial reasons many years ago. I removed the 2 low strings.

I started a Fender 400 beginner by doing the same thing. The early innovators experimented with the re entrant strings by putting them in the middle of the tuning. Even the C6 tuning has a D on top for most players these days and for the same reason. The top 2 strings on the E neck pretty much defines that particular sound and style. It works tremendously well in early Classical and Baroque music as well.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I play an S8 (Fender 400) occasionally (with no knee levers). It's an interesting experience in that you have to think about things other than all the new (now cliched) sounds we're so accustomed to hearing. I kept the chromatic 1st & 2nd strings (with no changes on them) since they're more useful to me than lower scaler notes.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I started out on a National triple 8 string non pedal guitar. On my E neck, I used the top 8 strings as I could already see the importance of the 2 top strings.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Geoff Barnes

Post by Geoff Barnes »

Been gassin' for one of these little beauties. Who knows? maybe we will be able to "evolve' the psg in the same way?

Might solve a lot of arguments?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :)
Last edited by Geoff Barnes on 25 Nov 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too much equipment....I think I need help.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

many of us know that the psg originally had 8 strings w: the G" on top
fortunately many of us understand why those 2 top strings were added
i think of them as the wall in squash to bounce off of
Chris LeDrew

Re: The Rise of the 8 string and Fall of the 10 string PSG!

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Dale Kath wrote: You do not have to twist your brain around this ill conceived tuning method
That's a pretty big statement to be throwing around here. I assume that your observation about the masters of the pedal steel (Emmons, Day, etc) who devised this tuning comes from your years of experience on pedal steel?

You find 8 strings easier to play than 10. Good for you. But your limitations are no excuse to throw around uninformed opinions and judgments about the traditional 10-string tuning, which has served thousands of players very well over a 65-year span. Have some respect when you come late to the party.

All this aside, how the hell can you play pedal steel without the high Eb and F#?? It's at the core of practically every run, lick, passage, etc., known to the instrument. Your playing is gonna get old and stale really fast with those two strings off the neck.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

More is More when it comes to fully voiced chords on a PSG... if you don't care about that, then any amount of strings, pedals, necks, or knee levers will do.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

How long do ya hafta play one of these things to have an opinion? :lol:
Dale Kath

8 and 10

Post by Dale Kath »

I really do admire the psg players who can effectively use multiple pedals and knee levers, along with 10, 12, and 14 strings. I knew hackles would rise with my comments. I mean no disrespect to the true players. Sometimes it's good to throw a fox into the henhouse, if you know what I mean! Sneaky Pete did some amazing work on his 8 string. Didn't't Alvino Ray start out with an 8 string? I still think an 8 string should be sitting next to the 10 and 12 stringers in the showroom. I also think that would encourage more beginners to pick up this very cool musical instrument.
Carter SD10
Steel Guitar Black Box
Heritage h535
Epiphone viola bass
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Rick Schmidt wrote:More is More when it comes to fully voiced chords on a PSG... if you don't care about that, then any amount of strings, pedals, necks, or knee levers will do.
Obviously, cellists, violinists, trumpet players, sax players, bagpipe players, flutists, tuba players, harmonica players, trombone players, bass players...and even drummers, make out just fine without playing b7+9+13 chords. So I figure if I don't (or can't), I'm in pretty good company! 8)
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Donny, perhaps you might prefer a monophonic instrument then, perhaps a clarinet? Truly, chords are overrated, don't you think? And by the way, who was the numbskull who designed the frickin' piano with 12 keys when I only have TEN fingers! What am I supposed to do... learn to move them around or something? Sheesh! Gimme a break man. :roll:
Jim Priebe

Post by Jim Priebe »

Dale
I didn't know Bill Hankey had a 1st cousin in Michigan!
And Jim (Cohen) - I've counted a few times and I still only get 8 (fingers) - what am I doing wrong? :whoa:
Priebs GFI ('09)Short-Uni10. GFI ('96)Short-Uni SD11. ('86)JEM U12
www.steelguitardownunder.com
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

CrowBear Schmitt wrote: i think of them as the wall in squash to bounce off of
That makes more sense than the little piggie in pétanque
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Hey Chris, good to see you know the right games
i could have mentioned, Jai Alai (?) or " Pelote Basque "

Jeff Spencer

Post by Jeff Spencer »

There you go Jim, this will fix your problem ;-)
As for 6,8,10,12,14, What ever!! just learn the thing - its all relative!

This guy seems to be enjoying himself!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcpjY1KQ ... re=related
Mike Perlowin

Re: The Rise of the 8 string and Fall of the 10 string PSG!

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Dale Kath wrote: How about we stop at 8 and let the music flow?
How about you learning how to use them instead?

I'm sorry but this is a really bad idea. It's like saying "I don't understand calculus, so lets not teach it to anybody else."
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Jim Priebe,
You beat me to it!