New to forum / My first pedal steel experience

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Sherman

New to forum / My first pedal steel experience

Post by Jeff Sherman »

Hello All,
First I want to mention I am new to this forum and am hoping to purchase another very nice pedal steel guitar within the next year after I do some research as to what I really want. I am in my mid 40's now and once owned a pedal steel when I was 18 years old. It was a Sho-Bud LDG which after playing for a short time didn't care for its sound. The problem was I was trying to compare it to the Ralph Mooney sound which I think he used a different kind of Sho-Bud. The LDG didn't have the sustain and the tone I liked and didn't have the crispier sound I though that Ralph Mooney had on some of his recordings with Waylon Jennings ( now all of you know who introduced me to the pedal steel sound and was hooked ever since probably like many of you ).

I am on this forum to be educated by many of you experienced players. I also like the original push pull Emmons sound which I think has a much different sound than a Sho-Bud which makes me feel I will probably end up with two Guitars.

I lost a lot of interest in the newer country music after about the mid 80's. The music changed and the use of pedal steels and its experienced players dropped way down probably replaced my keyboards. I dont hear Pedal Steels " up close and personal" like I used to ( what happened ????? ). Thats it for my intro. Any thoughts ?

My plan is to eventually purchase a used Steel Guitar from this forums classified section. I am impressed with the many types that are available.

Jeff
Atwater, CA
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

Welcome to the forum.This is a great place to find information on steel guitar.Im sure all your questions can be answered on here.Best of luck to you on your journey to getting back into steel.
Clete Ritta

Re: New to forum / My first pedal steel experience

Post by Clete Ritta »

Jeff Sherman wrote:...owned a pedal steel when I was 18 years old...didn't care for its sound. The problem was I was trying to compare it to the Ralph Mooney sound...
Welcome to the forum!
Some here might agree that if Moon had played your guitar back then for you, you may have kept it! Its the sound is in the hands principal. Regardless of the guitar, it takes years of constant practice and study to develop a sound the way he did. His playing has influenced so many. I wish I had started at 18, but I too may have given up quickly back then. Better late than never to start again. I began about 6 years ago, and I'm almost 50. I really enjoy learning all I can from others, but at the end of the day, Im quite happy to just sound like me. :lol:
Best of luck to you in discovering your sound.

Clete
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Welcome Jeff. For recording or playing for your own enjoyment, it's awesome to have a few different types of steel for different sounds and playing action.

Greg
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

I always refer to this video when I think of Sho-Bud LDG (aside from Lloyd Green himself, of course!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ngXCdt ... sults_main

Think about how much Mooney's steel evolved over the years. Apparantly his amp was usually set to "stun" wherever and whoever he was playing with, and I think that is the key to that sound you are looking for. I wouldn't mind having a couple more steels to try and wring some sounds from, however.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner