Mooney with Waylon--don't get no better---Pictures added

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tim Fleming

Dreaming My Dreams

Post by Tim Fleming »

This always tears me up - such a touching song and Ralph touches it beautifully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI_OcW9w ... re=related
Sho-Bud Super Pro, Mullen G2, Justice Pro Lite, Evans E200, Peavey Nashville 112
James Morehead

Re: Dreaming My Dreams

Post by James Morehead »

Tim Fleming wrote:This always tears me up - such a touching song and Ralph touches it beautifully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI_OcW9w ... re=related
Fine example of "less is more". Perfect compliment to the song.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"~old cowboy proverb.
shobud@windstream.net
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

And yet another great classic Waylon tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b6dEOCG ... re=related
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"~old cowboy proverb.
shobud@windstream.net
Larry Waisner

Moon

Post by Larry Waisner »

Hi James,

Do you know what ever happened to Moon's Sho~Bud, the one with the half moon engraved with mother of pearl on it?

Best Regards,
Larry
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Larry, If you mean the black Super Pro, yes. It lives at Fred Jack's house, as a personal gift from Moon to Fred, as they wee the best of friends. I'll scrounge a couple of pics up if I can.
shobud@windstream.net
Bill Howard

2 of the best

Post by Bill Howard »

In my opinion no one has EVER played a better ride than I threw away the Rose...Or the Botttle let me down.
Mooney used the Volume pedal to the max on both of them
http://youtu.be/lnxV9AnlUS0
http://youtu.be/NVq27glkY_A
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Well said, Bill, well said. 8)
shobud@windstream.net
James Morehead

Re: Moon

Post by James Morehead »

Larry Waisner wrote:Hi James,

Do you know what ever happened to Moon's Sho~Bud, the one with the half moon engraved with mother of pearl on it?

Best Regards,
Larry
Here ya go:

I got to help John Coop put some finishing touches on it, then tune it, Then John presented it to Ralph, then Ralph surprised us all and presented it to Fred as a personal gift. Those were some very happy times for all of us. This happened at the Dallas Steel Show 2006.
shobud@windstream.net
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

There's more story to the above pics: Moon invited me, my wife and Coop up to his motel room, as "there was a party goin' on". So, unknown to Moon, Coop had me bring a dvd player along. John Coop had recorded years ago an obscure video off of a small local tv station of a 1983-ish Waylon concert in London, UK. The camera man was fascinated with the steel guitar and feature alot of time to Moon. What's significant of all of this, is this: Moon had never before seen this footage---and you by now guessed it, at this concert Ralph was playing the black Super Pro we had just given him back rebuilt, which he had just gifted to Fred. Moon about fell off of his chair, and his eyes were so wide they pushed his hat back! I'll never forget the look on his face. 8)
shobud@windstream.net
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

TTT
shobud@windstream.net
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

I don't think anything is prettier than Mooney's Super Pro, except the music that came through it. Great to hear about that get together, James! I always wondered what happened to that Sho-Bud after I started seeing the GFI on clips here and there.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Yep, That's an experience I'll never forget.
shobud@windstream.net
Fred Jack

Sho Bud

Post by Fred Jack »

Me, Too, James. Fred
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Ah Fred, Those were the days!! 8)
Hope you are doing well these dayz, my friend!!
shobud@windstream.net
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
John Castelletti

Post by John Castelletti »

Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

In 1983, Waylon and Ralph Mooney played a concert in Sweden, and Moon was playin' his Sho-Bud Super Pro then. There's a video clip of that show on YouTube where Waylon is singin' a song called "A Couple More Years" and, after the second verse and chorus, Waylon says, "Listen to the Moon" and Mooney plays a great steel solo. Waylon called Moon a great steel guitar player.

Brett
Jerry Tillman

Waltz Me To Heaven

Post by Jerry Tillman »

Somewhere on Tou Lube is a live version of this song and it is outstanding with Mr Mooney playing the best solo ever.It had a date in the title of 1977 if I remember correctly.Mr Fred Jack set up a phone conversation with me and Mr Mooney a few years back and it was a real pleasure to speak with one of my music heros.At one point I ask him about his tuning,I got very confused in a hurry as he went through the years of his tunings.I love the times I got to see Waylon and Ralph live.Sorry for the long post.
Jody Cameron

Post by Jody Cameron »

Hey Fred! Hope all is well with you. Did you manage to save Moon's guitar from the fire?