Little Miracles to help you play through Arthritis

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bo Legg

Little Miracles to help you play through Arthritis

Post by Bo Legg »

I was recording with a gospel group and one the fellows ask me “is there something wrong with your hands?”. My first thought, OK here comes the criticism so I replied “no why do you ask?” Come to find out he was referring to my little retarded looking exercise I do.

I haven’t given it much thought in years until he pointed it out.

It may be a little retarded looking exercise but it is the miracle that lets me still be able to play guitar and steel in spite of the pain and stiffness of arthritis.

First I’d like to hear about some of the things that you have discovered to help you through your playing with the pain a stiffness of arthritis.
Lee Bartram

Post by Lee Bartram »

I haven't figured anything out yet. I am still ok on Steel but old arthur has taken care of my lead guitar playing 1st and second finger won't bend far enough any more..aint't so much pain it just It s the stiffness..
Aaron Jennings

Post by Aaron Jennings »

Howdy Bo,

I'm only 27, Arthritis is not really my concern, however, several years ago I had an 800 pound section staging, (Tap dancing floor), dropped across both of my hands.

This didn't break any bones, but did a bunch of soft tissue damage, and caused my knuckles to swell up to the size of grapes.

I lost a lot of flexibility and mobility in my fingers, and couldn't play a 6-string with any degree of agility. (had not yet been converted to the fold at this time).

In the interest of pain relief, I started doing a series of hand stretches and exercises I learned while studying Aikido (Martial Arts) originally designed to develop the muscles needed to grip a sword.

It took about 6 months before my hands felt 'normal' to me again, but I still find myself running through these stretches whenever I feel 'achey', or a cramp coming on. I really feel these exercises saved me from years of pain and regret.

A quick google search turned up this article, which seems to offer a good technical description of these exercises.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/21511 ... defined_R1
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Go to the health food store & get some real cranberry juice. REAL cranberry juice. Not the kind from the supermarket that is mostly apple juice. Get the real juice and mix it with your own apple juice. A small glass everyday. It takes about 3 weeks to start working and works well, especially when cold weather is coming. Also get something called Arnica.
This is the real deal folks! Was your hands first. I used to do roofing and at the end of the day, my hands we're pulverized. Mostly my left hand that would get repeatedly hit by a hammer while putting in roofing nails. Clean up the hand, arnica, next day good as new. No BS here.
Dr. Bud
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Jim Curtain

Post by Jim Curtain »

Bud,

Arnica is the real deal! Great stuff. I also take wheatgrass tablets for my aches and pains, cleans you out, and reduces inflammation.

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/greens.htm
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

The best thing is VOLTAREN anesthetic cream. Voltaren is only available by prescription. It is far more effective than anything you can buy over the counter.

Ask your doctor about it.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

It was a High School coach that turn me onto the exercise I referred to in my opening of this topic.

Here is the way the coach explained it to me and how simple it is.

Hold your hands out and pull your fingers in like you’re griping something and take mental note of tightness in your fingers and hand.

Now let you hands go limp and shake them vigorously for a short period of time till they just flop around and you can feel the blood rush in your hand and fingers.

Wiggle your fingers and repeat this whole process about three or four times and feel how loose and nimble your fingers feel and how much faster and easier you can move your fingers.

Sure I’m never going to be able to smoke them hot licks as long as I have arthritis but with medication and this exercise I’m not going to miss too many of the 8th notes. ;-)
It is nice to have something else to blame besides lack of practice. :lol:
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Yes Bo - The stretches are most important. More important than the cranberry or any arthritis drug that is out there. Stretch the hands, back, knees, everything. If I have to get old, I'm going down swinging.
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Post by Bishop Ronnie P Hall »

Hello Bo,
I have a question. Do these exercises help on those who have the beginning symptoms of the affliction known as "Trigger Finger"? The affliction seems to be the same. If so, I would like to read more of your exercise regimen. Thanks,
Ron
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Bishop I'm not familiar with "Trigger Finger" so I don't know if it would help.
There is not really a regimen. Just a sports related exercise . I just wiggle my fingers and let my hands and fingers go limp and shake them often during the day.
I never do exercises to strengthen the grip. That seems to be counter productive.
Riley Hart

Post by Riley Hart »

I have experienced trigger finger in the mornings when i first awake. I was told it was a tendon-related problem like brake cables on a bicycle hanging up. Maybe u should try treating it like a tendon problem...
Rick Kreuziger

Post by Rick Kreuziger »

I'm not aware of any trigger finger exercises... I think that would aggravate it.
It's a catching of the tendon on the sheath that it runs through.
Cortisone injections can sometimes fix them.
I had a trigger finger that didn't improve with rest or respond to the injections... a simple surgery repaired it, but the recovery took months.

Obviously something for a doctor to check out.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

I think maybe it’s time for a disclaimer here.
I am not a doctor.
I only relate here what works for me. You should check with your physician before trying anything that I have stated within this topic.
Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Post by Bishop Ronnie P Hall »

Hi again Bo! :)
I think that most of our fellow steelers realize that you are not a physician, so I dont think you would have to issue a disclaimer. (smile) But when a fellow steeler speaks of a possible relief to one`s malady, you might expect an inquiry or two, as to rather the same thing might help them. I appreciate your response to my inquiry, and BTW, one should ask their physician, as to what works or not concerning a medical issue, I totally agree. But sometimes a person can get lucky with a form of exercise that might help their situation, so it does`nt hurt to inquire. So, I offer my thanks to you, and all that responded. Warmest of greetings!
Ron
Russ Little

yep

Post by Russ Little »

Try Two old goats
It works I buy it at the feed store
but they sell it on ebay
it works
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Aaron,
I do those same wrist exercises every morning right before I do Tai Chi. I learned them from an Aikido teacher in San Fransisco. They seem to have been a real life saver over the years. Loose, open and strong. Another thing I think has helped my hands that I got from martial arts is that my wrists are almost never bent while I play.
Hopefully it will help stave off arthritis.
Bob
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Everyone seems to suggest tilting the steel forward or at least keep it level.
I tilt mine back until with my arms at my side I don't have to bend my wrist to pick.
This is very comfortable.

Rich Gardner

Post by Rich Gardner »

All of the aforementioned comments are great. To help my hands, I have invested in one of these therabaths. http://www.therabathpro.com/about_paraffin_new.php

I think it helps greatly.

RG