Converting a standard guitar case for a D-8 steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

John Rosett

Converting a standard guitar case for a D-8 steel

Post by John Rosett »

My early 50's Fender D-8 (cut down from a T-8Custom) came with a great, heavy duty wooden case, but it's so heavy that I have been looking for another option. A friend of mine has a molded plastic rectangular Fender case that came with an American Standard Strat from the 90's that he's not using, and I'm thinking about converting it for my steel.
I would have to tear out all the interior, and ad some wooden dividers to hold the guitar and the legs in place, but it seems do-able.
Has anybody done something like this? Any advice?
"it's not in bad taste, if it's funny." - john waters
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Pelican (and other) gun cases are rectangular, and they come with three layers of firm foam. You cut out the shape of the guns, guitars, cameras, whatevers in the middle layer. But the good part is the foam is available separately, to change the case's innards around. There's also sets of foam that are pre-cut little blocks, and you just take out the ones you don't want. The cases themselves are heavy, but they have wheels. There are dozens of online suppliers of cases and foam alone.
John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

Thanks, David. I'll check out the foam. I'm doing this (like everything I do) on a very limited budget, so buying a gun case is out of the question. I can barter for the guitar case.
Michael Maddex

Post by Michael Maddex »

Years ago, I did a case for an acoustic guitar. I used an already gutted fiber-glass case (free), a can of good contact cement ($$$) and a pile of carpet scraps and ends (free). It worked out pretty good. Just take your time. If in doubt, make a pattern out of cardboard or heavy paper first. HTH.
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Someone posted about this a few years ago--I think it was Michael Johnstone--and he called it "reblocking a guitar case". Search the archive, I think you'll find it.
James Trout

Steel Case

Post by James Trout »

I had a custom lap steel made and used a take down shotgun case that I bought at Academy for around $50. I yanked the bottom piece of foam out, cut it in the shape of the guitar, and then covered that with crushed velvet material (I just used spray glue to stick it together). I also yanked the top foam piece out and covered the whole top with another piece of crushed velvet. Took me about an hour to do it with the help of the wife. I took it to the builder and blew him away. The gun case is pretty light compared to a pelican case...
Rockne Riddlebarger

Post by Rockne Riddlebarger »

Check out keyboard cases. Many are sized right and the come in hard or soft versions. I carry my Supro Twin in a soft one that I added ridgid foam to protect the guitar.
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

The Fender case sounds like the way to go,my dog would gladly tear out the innards for you free of charge!
:eek:
I wanna go back to my little grass shack........
John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

Thanks Tom, send him over. All my dogs want to do is sleep in my cases.
Todd Weger

Gun cases...

Post by Todd Weger »

I know this is an older thread, but someone may benefit...

I found this SKB waterproof iSeries case online for my trip to play Esquivel in Mexico City last year. Not cheap, but built to take anything. It survived the trip down and back with no issues whatsoever (well, except having to explain to security just exactly what this "thing" was)!

I never felt fearful of damage to case or instrument. I was, however, more concerned with theft or having it mis-routed, and then having no steel for the concert!

:D

Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

As has been pointed out, there are plenty of firms selling rectangular fibreglass cases full of foam. Luckily the steel guitar is just the right shape to find a case for, but surf the internet for utility cases, not just for guitar cases. Photographers use those cases for their equipment, as do miriads of scientists with electronic meters, etc.
Dave Bader

Post by Dave Bader »

I've gutted a couple bass cases to fit the two guit-steels I made. I re-build them with 1/2" styrofoam and fake fur. You can cut the styrofoam to fit and stack pieces as needed. I glue them in place with 3M spray glue.

Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Nice job on the bass case Dave! 8)
George Piburn

Pink Home Depot Foam

Post by George Piburn »

Home Depot Sells this Pink Insulating Foam Similar To Styrofoam but much more durable.

It is a memory type as well and will come back after any small dents from placing the guitar in there.

Places like Hobby Lobby - Michaels - and Upholstery Supply Shops will carry the Fake Fur or Crushed Velvet.

They will also have spray adhesives designed for the fabric.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

:D
Dave Bader

Post by Dave Bader »

Tom Pettingill wrote:Nice job on the bass case Dave! 8)
Thanks, Tom!