Can Pedal Steel cross over to mainstream(non-country) radio?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken Tizzard

Can Pedal Steel cross over to mainstream(non-country) radio?

Post by Ken Tizzard »

I considered this question for a long time before deciding to make my last record entirely with pedal steel guitar and a rhythm section. With the assistance or renowned producer John Whynot (Bruce Cockburn, Blue Rodeo, Lucinda Williams, Colin James, Change Of Heart, Loreena McKennitt, Big Wreck +++) we decided to take the challenge. Al Brisco helped me set up (tweeked copedant and modified one lever) an old MSA 12-string Universal and with a few adjustments I had it doing what I needed to suit the music.

Ahhh the style of music, that is one thing that using the steel has made interesting. Nobody has yet to be able to perfectly put this record in a box. Stylistically blending country, pop, rock and folk one might immediately say Americana or alt-country, but that does not quite really cover it. Radio programmers have found this difficult due to their need for branding music in order to get it on the right programs.

All that being said...
-US College radio 300 submitted to stations and got 231 adds.
-Canada College radio submitted to 35 stations and got 32 adds
-CBC across Canada has been extremely supportive
-Canadian Commercial radio has actually been adding KTBI to their playlists alongside everything from The Stones to Green Day.

I never expected this record to get heard outside of niche circles of music listeners. Using the PSG for the main sounds throughout this record I really never expected to get radio play. Somehow things are working out on this record in ways I had not imagined. Add to that the growing love affair between me and that old MSA and I can say I am a pretty happy guy these days.

I guess that is a long way for me to answer the question. Thanks for the support from you all here at the forum. Stay well and see you on the road...

Ken
www.kentizzard.com

KTBI - The Goodness Of Bad Intent
"a pedal steel rock and roll experience"
-"cookin’ up the rock tunes like a musical wizard."
-"a fresh take on a well-worn genre."
-"addictive melodies and a tough voice that suits the material well."

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/the-g ... d533188180
stay well and love what you play...
MSA 12-String The Universal
Supersustain II
http://www.kentizzard.com
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

why not?
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

As you know, the pedal steel is well equiped to play about any style. The problem is, as with anything, finding a "market" for the product. I hope you have a GOB of success with the venture. It would certainly open doors for many steel pickers.
Ken Tizzard

Post by Ken Tizzard »

Chris - Why Not? - not sure but I am actively looking for pedal steel music outside the box using the steel as the main instrument in a singer songwriter situation...please let me know if you have any leads...aside from RR of course

Roual - thanks for the best wishes mate...
stay well and love what you play...
MSA 12-String The Universal
Supersustain II
http://www.kentizzard.com
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

This is Lap but could have just as easily been Pedal I guesss... "Gotye" had one of the biggest hits in Pop this past summer.
'Here on Letterman recently (doing a different song) with Lap Steel doing the sound-scaping:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxFTE-Mmt3M
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I was just at the Austin City Limits taping for Jack White. He is touring with a girl band and a boy band at the same time. He has pedal steel players in both bands.
Fats Kaplin and Maggie Bjorklund. It's an amazing show. Jack White is carrying the torch of rock music these days.
Bob
Chris Tweed

Post by Chris Tweed »

If you are after a singer songwriter using pedal steel as the main accompaniment you should check out Gary Newcomb. He does some amazing stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlh8tc5_9k
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I would think that putting the emphasis on "Pedal Steel Rock and Roll" is not going to help you with a mainstream audience, most of whom do not even know what it is--just let the music speak for itself. As for pedal steel players, some will welcome it, some won't--a goo0d percentage of players are very "traditional" in their tastes.

Sounds good, by the way, and congratulations on your efforts.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Ken, since you asked: I find your earlier songs (I suppose they are earlier) quite attractive.
I guess it was you playing the acoustic and the harmonica?
I wouldn't drop that style alltogether. I would do a combiation of either steel or acoustic, since you can't play both at the same time, naturally.
I wish you good luck!
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

This is a great idea, and even if it may seem "self-sacrificial" - i.e. I WOULD be a big star if I sang normal radio country (sure you will) - it's needed. More steel, less... TRACKS! There are only a few steelers who even CAN carry a band without a six-stringer - Jim Loessberg, Dave Easley, umm... ummm... not me, for sure. But I stopped buying steel albums that feature a cast of thousands - there may, or may not, be some great playing buried under there somewhere, but if a steeler feels the need to hide so thoroughly - I let 'em. :wink:
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I heard a band the other day, i guess they are called alt-country or americana or something.. they have a steel player.. While it sounded ok, he only played simple stuff, mostly chord slides. While I was impressed that a non country touring band had a steel, I wished it was a more advanced player or that he played a more advanced style.