Delay Pedal. Need Education.........

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Eldon Cangas

Delay Pedal. Need Education.........

Post by Eldon Cangas »

I have a rack mount Peavey and a Behringer DD400 (not a Boss but that's all I wanted to spend at the time). It's got the following: Level; Feedback; Time and Mode with Hold 200, 500,and 1300 ms. The modes are adjustable within a range.

My problem is that wherever I adjust it I don't like the resulting sound. Maybe I don't know what I'm suposed to be listening for or I just don't understand the principle behind delay.

I need help with this and would appretiate hearing what you folks have to say.

Thanks! Eldon
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I'd keep times fairly short , and only one repeat, if you're just trying to fatten the sound.
I personally think the effect gets used too much, and slightly disorients and distracts.
I'm playing with it my Lexicon, and I find under 100-150 ms and the slapback below the original isn't too bad
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

for me I prefer a tad longer delay, 275 ms or so..mixed at maybe 25 to 40% based on the pedal, with a single slap....you want it there, but not in your face....

just my take..
t
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Eldon Cangas

Post by Eldon Cangas »

Thanks guys, I'm a proponent of less is more so what you both say makes sense to me. I am just trying to fatten the sound a bit. When I use my reverb I generally bring it up until I can hear it and then tweek it down so that it appears but not in your face. Eldon
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

have you tried an analog delay pedal? for short delay times (300ms or less) i find my old boss dm-3 hard to beat. i set it around 250ms with only 1 repeat and it really fattens up the tone, and it is very warm. I also have an mxr carbon copy which is a little more versatile but i think i like the tone of the dm-3 just a bit better, its sounds a little more natural and warm to me. I am trying to figure out whether i prefer analog or digital for longer delay times, but for slap back i like the analog.
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Analog for me too.... I have one of the old Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man units and I wouldn't trade it for the world, they're the best IMHO, besides that Arnett Mills and Joe Turner both use them and no one gets any better tone than either one of those guys....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!