Ernie Coker passed away

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Frederic Mabrut

Ernie Coker passed away

Post by Frederic Mabrut »

Ernie has gone home on september 2nd.
He has attended and played thrice at our French Convention in april , making the trip from Ghosthill Ranch, Devinee Texas.

My condolences to his family, Helen and Linda.
http://www.tondre-guinn.com/fh/obituari ... h_id=13116

Mac McKenzie

Ernie Coker passed away

Post by Mac McKenzie »

Yes, this is indeed sad news. We, in Auckland, New Zealand were also fortunate to have Ernie and Helen visit us On their first visit, Ernie gave a Peavey amplifier to our new NZ. Hawaiian Steel Guitar Assn. This was almost embarrassing as it was worth about $1800 plus the cost of getting it here. A lot of money in this country. But, we had next to nothing and we gratefully accepted it. We found them quiet but very friendly and they made many friends. They stayed at a motel, hired a car and did their own sightseeing and visiting. They toured NZ. by train as they could see more of the country that way, rather than flying. They visited several times and invited many to visit them and the only one able to do that was Bill Sevesi and he was very impressed with the ranch and Ernie's workshop, where he could make a steel guitar from sawn timber to the finished product, including electrics. Both Bill and Ernie experimented with guitars and swapped data and discoveries.
Both Ernie and Helen liked our food, a lot of it Samoan and especially our " oka " - raw fish marinated in lemon juice and served in coconut cream. Ernie said our fish had a very firm texture, most of their fish was fresh water and very soft. They even visited one friend, told the lady not to cook anything as they would walk to the shops and buy fish and chips. They liked our " strip shopping " individual shops on each side of the road instead of mall shopping.
Yes, they were just ordinary friendly generous people and we were lucky to have enjoyed their company and to have them as friends.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I had a lot of wonderful correspondence with Ernie and he told me great stories about Sol Hoopii, who was a friend of his wife. We also talked about his Bigsby, etc. He was a good man.

RIP Ernie.
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

May he rest in peace.
Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Kind of a surprise....I knew Ernie quite well too....
Last edited by Bill Creller on 13 Oct 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

I knew Ernie and over the years we have talked about every subject imaginable! It was always an enjoyable conversation. He will be missed.

Ernie and Helen were very much into Hawaiian music and attended many international Hawaiian steel guitar events.

Even though Ernie passed away September 2, Helen and her daughter came to the HSGA convention held in Joliet October 4-6, 2012, because of Ernie's love and their love for Hawaiian music. They were consoled by their many friends at the event.
johnely

Post by johnely »

Thanks for passing this along... I'd like to do a tribute to Ernie in the next issue of the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association newsletter.

Frederic, do you happen to have a high resolution version of the photo you posted here of Ernie and Helen? That would be perfect for the article...

Don, do you happen to have any photos of Ernie?

Thanks, John Ely

johnely@hawaiiansteel.com
Frederic Mabrut

Johnely,

I have a nice bunch of high res pics of Ernie playing steel guitar during one of his trips to our French Convention.
I can make a bit of searching and send them to you if you want.
johnely

Ernie Coker photo request

Post by johnely »

That would be terrific, Fred... Anything you think would be appropriate for a tribute article. Hopefully, something where he isn't too much in the background.

Many thanks,
John
Frederic Mabrut

You got mail, John.