Songs that rip your heart out when you play them

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ben Rubright

Post by Ben Rubright »

I just went back and listened to Dawn sing 'Sweet Memories' with John Hughey and 'If You're Gonna Do Me Wrong, Do It Right' with Paul Franklin ......WOW...is anyone anywhere near as good as she is???? I can think of no one. I watched Paul watch her as she sang. What a joy it must be to accompany someone like her.
Dave Simonis

Post by Dave Simonis »

Same Old Star - McBride and the Ride (and what a steel ride at the end!)

The Little Girl - John Michael Montgomery

Where Grass Won't Grow - George Jones (the Musicor version)

State Fair - Doug Supernaw

:cry:
Dave Simonis

Fiddle: Zeta, Arthur Conner, many others.../Steel: GFI SD-10 Ultra.../Mandolin: Breedlove.../Guitar: Gibson, Fender, Taylor.../Amps: Peavey NV112, Evans FET 500.../Others: Hilton, Goodrich, Stereo Steel, Pendulum Pre-amp...
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

For me it has always been "Born To Lose" ever since I was just a kid. (and that is a long time)
Dave Sichak

Post by Dave Sichak »

I will add an "Amen" to Born To Lose. Every time I play my dobro or lap steel - that is a tune I always play, and the Ted Daffan version is what comes to mind.

I'd also have to toss in a ballad by a man named Hank who could milk a song like no other. His version of "First Fall of Snow" to me is typical of how he could emote his vocals to tell a story in a song. And make it sound sincere.

And I always play his "I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You" but in a slower, perhaps sadder rhythm.

Cheers,
Dave
http://www.hillbilly-music.com
Bill Bassett

Post by Bill Bassett »

Mama Hated Diesels.

Bobby Black on steel with Commander Cody. 1972