Wright Custom

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Curiously enough, I have Norm Hamlet's '54 T-8 Bigsby.
Lee Jeffriess

Post by Lee Jeffriess »

Chris
I thank you sir for the welcome.
Jussi are you refering to the double nine that Bobby Horton scored.?
I think that guitar was made by Jonhny Fry or Jerry Miller, they were both i believe biulding guitars of that caliber back in the day.
Andys Wright looks like an early Sierra because they both got the same dad.
Also theres the extremly rare Wright/Sierra
Standel S8/D8/S10/D10 PSGs.
The only Carvin connection ive seen is Andys
Wright has an ALMAG frame like a Fender 1000, and Carvins line of PSGs are pretty much clones of 400/1000 800/2000 Fenders.
Keep in mind men that this is just speculation and opinion and i can not be held responcible for anything incorrect i do or say.
Lee
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Lee; no, I'm referring to a guitar I saw at Cartwright Thompson's house ( I hope he doesn't mind me saying that here ), it looked like Andy's guitar and had a Fender type body. It was in pieces and I really didn't pay that much attention to it. I didn't know Bobby H. had a doubleneck, I do know he scored Chubby Howard's T8 some time ago.
Chris; I wish I could post some pics, but I doubt I can. Actually I haven't even taken any yet.
Chas; wheew, that's good news! I remember hearing a horror story, that Norm's Bigsby was chopped into three lap steels Image
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Norm's Bigsby and case are in museum quality condition.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Chas; do you mean it's as gorgeous as the other ones you have, or ready for retirement?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jussi Huhtakangas on 04 September 2002 at 01:23 AM.]</p></FONT>
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

It's in beautiful shape and, except for the neck selector switch, is very playable. All of the Bigsbys get 'exercised' on a semi-regular basis. The S-10, being the most versatile, works the most. I don't play the Wrights and the quad-8, which is also in excellant condition, needs a forklift to get it out of the case.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by chas smith on 04 September 2002 at 10:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Warnik

Post by Paul Warnik »

The quad eight that I got from Billy Wilson-which is the one Lee was playing has been cleaned up and it looks like the same one Chubby Howard was shown to be playing in the picture up in the Sierra room except the guitar has no pedals now-I may consider selling it as I dont use it
Jussi Huhtakangas

Chas; I'm glad to hear that! You've probably seen the pics of young Norm and his Bigsby in that BF released Farmer Boys cd!?
Paul; Bobby H has a late 50's or very early 60's T8 Wright with six ( I think ) pedals. It's one of those on which the legs screw into metal corner pieces outside the cabinet. It has Chubby Howards name written underside.
Chris DeBarge

Post by Chris DeBarge »

You mean these pictures Jussi? Image

Chris DeBarge

Post by Chris DeBarge »

Sorry 'bout the double post Image
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Chris DeBarge on 05 September 2002 at 03:22 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Warnik

Post by Paul Warnik »

Nice photos of Norm-another picture testimonial to the fact that ALMOST everybody who was anybody in the world of pedal steel guitar in the formative years of Country Honky Tonk and Western Swing PLAYED BIGSBY
Jussi Huhtakangas

Yessss Chris!!! Image