Android 4G Smartphone Recommendations?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Cohen

Android 4G Smartphone Recommendations?

Post by Jim Cohen »

Am looking to upgrade to 4G from my current Droid-X. The sales guy at Verizon says I should really only be looking at the Droid Razor-Max, because it alone has a 20 hour battery life, compared to 6-8 hrs for all the other (cheaper) models. But the Razor-Max is indeed pricey: $299 with a 2-year renewal, so I'm wondering if it's really worth it. Sometimes these so called "benefits" get hyped and when the rubber meets the road, they ain't all they're cracked up to be.

Anyone got an Android 4G phone they love? If so, what's great about it and what's not so hot? Why did you pick it over the others and would you pick it again if you had it to do over again?

Thanks,
Jim
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and paid $199 for it with a contract. It has a huge bright screen and the latest Android ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) operating system. It works great in most respects the only weak point being the camera which is only average in terms of picture quality. It runs all day on one charge unless I talk a lot, then it needs a charge when I get home at around 5PM. It's on Verizon and I do get a bit better coverage on the road than I did with ATT. I use the voice to text a lot for Google chat and emails.

Greg
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I'm happy with my Droid Bionic.
Several of the new Motorola phones won't accept an external SD card. I chose based on memory v. price v. the SD thing.
it beats the hell out of my original droid
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Thanks, guys. Lane, tell me more about why you'd want/need an external SD card.
Thanks,
Jim
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I already HAVE a 16G card from my previous phone, with about 5 gigs of music on it.
I find it easier to plug the card into my computer and drag and drop new files, instead of bothering to sync using various syncing programs..
not to mention that if my phone breaks or dies, if I keep my apps on the card, I don't have to download them all over again
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

The SD storage n mine is 32GB and built in. It's pretty easy to just hook up the USB cable to transfer files. Another point other than the SD card is that some phone have a permanently encapsulated, non-removable back so you can't replace or upgrade the battery. Mine and most others allows for easy battery removal, should you be keeping your phone past the warranty period.

Greg
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

That's a good point, thanks, guys. Any more opinions?
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I just like removable media because it's MINE. And you don't have to either remember to back up onto your own machine or trust a net-based server.
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Hi Jim. Here's my 2 cents.

I got tired of the high data plan fees the carriers charge, so last December when my renewal came up, I got a plain vanilla cell phone for calls, and bought a Samsung Galaxy Player 5 at Best Buy. My carrier's bill dropped WAY down, and there's no monthly fee for the SGP5.

I does everything the latest smartphones can do, but it doesn't have the phone function. It operates on WiFi only...no 3G/4G...thus NO data plan to pay for.

I can text, make internet phone calls, use google maps (it has true GPS built in), built in FM radio, etc., etc. Except for making cell calls, it can do everything the best smartphone can do. And it has great audio playback quality. It has 8gb built in RAM, and can accept up to a 64 gb microSD card for expanded storage...which is great for tracks, albums, movies, documents, etc.

The downsides? Like I said, it uses WiFi only for internet connections. But if you have access to WiFi hotspots in the areas you frequent, like I do, it's not a big deal.

Just something to think about.
Best regards,
Mike
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I like that solution, Mike. if I weren't a truck driver, that's exactly what I would do.
Because I need to rely on the wireless coverage, I am stuck not only with cell phone, but Verizon.
they have the towers in the middle of nowhere. That's why their rates are high.
EDIT: The OP specifically said 4G, so apparently wanted a phone.
Technically, if you want 4G, you're outta luck.
Nobody's "4G" network performs up to 4G specs. Substantially faster than 3G, but 4G is a performance spec that has a meaning.
It's like Nissan calling their current Z a 370 even though it has a 3.5L engine. (and it ain't as pretty as the original)
Last edited by Lane Gray on 24 Jun 2012 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

I don't remember the model but it's a Verizon 4G phone that has a keyboard too so it's a slider type phone. You can still talk into it for text or about anything but if you're like me and prefer the keyboard it's the way to go. It's got a bigger screen than the I-phone and I think it's the biggest one out there. It takes great pictures and video and I think 32G comes on it. It's a lot bigger processor than my Vortex phone so it's The Bomb of phones. The girls here have them and love them. I'm do for an upgrade in October so that's when I get one too!
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Thanks, Frank. If you have a chance to ask the girls the name of the model, I'd like to know that.

Best,
Jim
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

Jim,
As near as I can figure out it's a Droid 3 but they are making the Droid 4 now. This is one bad ass phone and does everything I can imagine. I'll have the Droid 4 in October. The phone is $200 unless you've got a Verizon account and then you get the upgrades so it can a lot less and you can go on Amazon and buy this phone for about $100 last time I checked and you get $40 off your first bill so that's $60. More like it to me!
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Thanks, Frank. I'll look into it.
Jim
Lynn Kasdorf

Post by Lynn Kasdorf »

I just ordered the new Samsung Galaxy S3- spose to ship on 7/11/12. I currently have an iPhone 4 and love it, but my wife needs a smart phone, and I really like what I've seen of these new Samsungs with Ice Cream Sandwich. So, I'll give it a try, and give her the iphone. I'm on verizon and the 32gig model is $250 with 2yr committment.

I currently have an unlimited data plan- they are no longer offering that- they all have data caps now. But I am grandfathered in.

Frankly the biggest draw for me on the Galaxy S3 is the extended battery life. That is the biggest (actually the only) downside of my iPhone.
"You call that thing a guitar?"
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

My brother has the Galaxy and loves it & I have the HTC Evo 4G thru Sprint. I've been happy with mine but is now out dated :?
Still does everything I need it to so no plans for an upgrade yet.
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I just picked up a used Sprint Galaxy Nexus for $300 with no contract and sold my year old Sprint Galaxy S2 Epic 4g Touch for $235.

My Sprint contract still has over a year to go, and I plan to go with an unlocked Nexus and switch to one of the prepaid plans at that time.

Straight Talk seems to be at the top of the list for now. $45/month for unlimited (within reason) everything, or $30/month for 100 minutes of talk and 5GB of data. With a prepaid plan, you can change plans and/or providers every month if you want to. Just swap SIM cards.

If you stick with a strictly Google phone like the Nexus, you'll get the updates first. :) My 4G Touch finally got official ICS the day before it sold. My Nexus came with ICS and I've already rooted it and have it running JB 4.1.1. :D
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Thanks, Lynn, Kevin & Jim!
Lynn Kasdorf

Post by Lynn Kasdorf »

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S3 for a few days now and I can say that I really like it. The display is huge and wonderful. It works perfectly with Cleartune and the Peterson adaptor.

The biggest improvement for me over my old iphone 4 is the great speech recognition. It works remarkably well.

I've not yet totally gotten control of the voice command system, but I now dictate text messages and other things.

Battery life seems really great. The only downside or me is that I have all these iphone docks, adaptors, and gizmos that I can't use with this.

However, I can definitely recommend this phone. I got the 32gig version with 2 yr contract for $250- I think you can get better deals, like at the verizon stores maybe?
"You call that thing a guitar?"
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

I have been with Verizon for several years but when my contract is over this coming November I am leaving them. Great service but I no longer feel like paying as much as I do for it. I have a buddy who lives on the road with his band and will be taking his advice to jump over to Virgin Mobile and their Beyond Talk plans. 45 bucks a month will give me all of the talk, text and data I need without a contract. And with an HTC EVO V 4G.
Brian
Harry Johansen

Post by Harry Johansen »

HTC One X.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Brian, if you spend great gobs of time in the middle of nowhere, you might wanna rethink that. Verizon's network covers a lot more of the boondocks. I've compared coverage and dropouts with codrivers on the various other networks, and I've got few. Atchison, KS and US 54 from 6 miles NE of Tucumcari up to Nara Visa.
If you don't need rural coverage, though, absolutely ditch their high prices
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

I was thinking of trying a consumer cellular to see what it was like.. I really don't need as much as I have and it seems silly for me to upgrade..from the 3G
I am looking at down grading
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

HTC Android Thunderbolt on Verizon

Disabled 4G on the phone... Was sucking battery dry (even with extended life fat battery) in about 2 hours. I don't yet know what the deal is with 4G and battery life. 3G is fine for me.
Lawyers are done: Emmons SD-10, 3 Dekleys including a D10, NV400, and lots of effects units to cover my clams...
Jon Jaffe

Post by Jon Jaffe »