Millennium Security Concern

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

Butch Gardner

Millennium Security Concern

Post by Butch Gardner »

On not so positive note, my truck was broken-in-to while parked at the front drive of the Millennium during the convention. There was nothing of value left in the vehicle, so my only loss is the damage to my truck. I believe the Millennium can and should provied better security, so I am making this incident an issue with them. Being a bit of a bulldog with things like this, "I'm Sorry", and a small adjustment to my bill just doesn't cut it with me. None of us should have to worry about our own security or the security of our vehicles. I want to return next year and not have this worry. The Millennium can fix this.

I talked to the manager and have a request to speak with the head of operations. I have his contact information and will call him if he does not respond in a reasonable time frame. I have heard of other break-ins in the past. Please let me know if you or others you know have had this problem. The year it happend could help, but is not essential.

Butch
Sue Haslam

Post by Sue Haslam »

Hi Butch,

It's such a shame that happened to you while attending your first show!! I remembered that it had happened to Bill and a couple of other people a few years ago.
Here's the link

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=116414

It was a pleasure to meet you. We had a great time visiting with you and Lee on Saturday night.
Sue
Sue Haslam
Peterson Strobe Tuners
George Rozak

Post by George Rozak »

Sorry to hear about your truck Butch. I believe it was the late Bob White who, a number of years back, had his wallet stolen at the Millennium while he was asleep in his room.

Unfortunately, it seems to be all too common just about everywhere for criminals to lurk around major tourist & travel areas searching for victims. Years back I was the victim of two hotel room break-ins while I was out of the room - one in LA & one in Santa Monica. Didn't get much of a response or remuneration from either hotel.
Sho-Bud: Professional & Fingertip
Butch Gardner

Post by Butch Gardner »

Sue, thanks for the link. I remembered that Bill had this happen to him. The link helps identify some of the others. George, I was not aware there had been thefts inside the building, but I'm not surprised. I took pictures of my truck and where it was parked. Interestingly, there is a security camera on the building, directly overhead where my truck was parked.

This is pretty bold, so who knows what could happen. I would certainly hate for someone to be robbed and potentially hurt. My point with the Millennium is they can fix this. They can't control what happens in downtown St Louis, but they can protect their own property and that of their patrons.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

There have been many break ins and thefts over the years at the hotel and the parking garage across the street.

It's not just the "Millenium" but the same with previous incarnations of the hotel (it was called The Clarion Hotel when the ISGC first moved to it).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Thomas Cepek

Post by Thomas Cepek »

Hi Butch !

It really makes me angry that this happened to you. I can´t believe , that such things happen in front of the Millennium at the convention.

It was such a pleasure to meet you at the convention and talk to you. It is real sad that Mr. Bill Stroud passed, but it is great that you will continue his great work. Like I said, I play a BJS bar since many years and for me it is the best bar I´ve ever played.

Thanks much again for the little gift you gave to me ;-)

Take care of you and kind regards.... Thomas 8)
Don Lanier

security

Post by Don Lanier »

Downtown St Louis has had a rash of these smash and grabs, I would send a letter to the Mayor of St Louis also, they have been trying to stem the tide with increased video security but some of these little gangs just work so fast. I dont understand why Parking garages dont allow any one without ID to enter there Lots, or garages, a new measure is underfoot with Downtown Garages and lots for increased actual Security guards, Im sorry for your loss, But I would be quite angry myself. Recently around the Ball park they had an Incident where 160 cars windows were smashed to steal Change !!!!! If you read the back of a parking ticket it basically says WERE NOT LIABLE IF ANYTHING HAPPENS no matter its a pay for park lot, I think thats shouldnt be allowed, If its 20 Bucks a day per car the Millenium can afford a security camera system that works full time, Or reduce the fees because thats like Park your car in our fully secured rip off garage !!! Its unfortunate but its a Downtown St Louis Problem...I would be sure my Insurance covers these kinds of things if you travel extensively, Thieves are getting worse everywhere.
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

You could do nothing even if you caught them in the act. Laws in this country favor the crimial. If you would have caught the person and done anything at all to them, you would have been charged with 3rd,2nd or, 1st degree assault. Sad situation.
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

If they seen them break in they would probable get off on some stupid fractional reason .The only sytem I have seen work so far is that great sherriff out in Arizona that has them corraled up in tents in pink shorts. That guy deserves a medal. He is protecting the inocent
Last edited by Bob Cox on 12 Sep 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Rozak

Post by George Rozak »

Keith Hilton wrote:You could do nothing even if you caught them in the act. Laws in this country favor the crimial. If you would have caught the person and done anything at all to them, you would have been charged with 3rd,2nd or, 1st degree assault. Sad situation.
You hit the nail on the head Keith... I couldn't agree more...
Sho-Bud: Professional & Fingertip
rpetersen

Post by rpetersen »

You could tell the police - I heard the shot and saw him fall, but I don't know where it came from!! :wink:
Ron Petersen
Bill Howard

Coddles Criminal

Post by Bill Howard »

I had a man steal his truck from a locked lot at my transmission repair business in the 80's I calle dpolice who promptly told me I could do nothing since I couldnt PROVE he stole it, HE WAS DRIVING THE TRUCK He owed me nearly 800.00 on it!!. I went after truck he pulled a bat on me I responded with a 38 it ended up costing me nearly 7 GRAND to get out of trouble over this THIEF stealing from ME!. Police are for the Criminals!
Ben Rubright

Post by Ben Rubright »

Bill...........I don't believe that police are for criminals......the damn lawyers have done this to us over many years.....and still, we keep electing nothing but lawyers to public office. (with rare exceptions). I believe that being a lawyer should DISQUALIFY one from public office.
DeWitt Scott

Theft

Post by DeWitt Scott »

I may have a solution for the break ins while parked in front of the hotel. We could hire our own security to police the front of the hotel during the dark hours or at least when the Convention ends each day. Two people might be enough to do it. In order to do this all we would have to do is charge an extra fee to pay the two guards. Using officle security guards could cost a minimum of $25.00 and hour. Two private people to watch would be much less. I don't think we could charge all the distributors a fee as only 4 distributors get the privilage to park up front. According to the responces I have read the only hope we could expect to accomplish is that the guards might be able to is discourage a thief or at least scare them off.

Example: based on darkness to daylight.
Thurs: 8:00pm to 6:00am = 10 hours @ $25.00 = $250.00
Fri: 8:00pm to 6:00am = 10 hours @ $25.00 - $250.00
Sat: 8:00pm to 6:00am = 10 hours @ $25.00 - $250.00
Total all three night = $750.00

Divide that by 4 - 187.50 each. If we use our own people it would much less. Or use off duty policemen. Just a thought. Scotty
Billy Phelps

My story might beat you story!

Post by Billy Phelps »

One year I decided use my personal van to go to St. Louis. After unloading almost all of the gear to my room, I was asked if I wanted to valet park.
It was my last load up to the room so I said sure. The only thing I didn't take up was my medical bag.
The guys in the valet suits said they'd bring the bag and my ticket up to my room in a few minutes.
Hours went by and I remembered that I needed my insulin, ect.
I went to the front desk, and to my surprize, I was informed that they didn't have valet parking.
No one seemed to remember my Chevy van or the guys that loaded me into my room.
Long story short ( too late ), A call to the police resulted in no one even showing up for a police report.
However, The van turned up Sunday morning at 10:00 am, smelling like cigarette smoke and with 250 miles on it and a nearly empty gas tank.
How's that for a nervous weekend at St. Louis.
I didn't take my van there again.
TRUE STORY... Billy Phelps
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

Yeah Billy. I think your story does beat them all!!!!!!!!!

Donna
Billy Phelps

Post by Billy Phelps »

It was a bit nerve racking trying to figure out how I was going to get all my gear back to Texas.
But God got me threw it safely. Praise God!
DeWitt Scott

Parking

Post by DeWitt Scott »

I did post a possible solution to make sure we have security for up front parking at the Millennium hotel. So far no one has posted any comments about that proposal. Just a thought. Scotty
rpetersen

Post by rpetersen »

Scotty - Got what you were saying, But very few of park out in front of the hotel - Does the city or anyone else have any control over the Parking ramp?
Ron Petersen
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

There are 3 or 4 full time bellhops there at any given time (and they drive very high dollar cars parked in front of the hotel).
Why are they not keeping a watch out front, plus you can see out front from all the sales counters in the hotel.
This is not a Motel 6. There are LOTS of people coming and going all night long.

For the life of me, I don't understand how this is happening unless people just don't pay any attention to what is going on around them.

The front is well lit. Hmm, wonder if there is some inside dealings going on?
Bill
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

No matter where one goes nowadays you have to be aware of your surroundings..Big shows like St. Louis are not unique to the theft and vandalism problem..Do not leave valuables in the vehicle whether in the Garage or the street.Low lifes surface anywhere..I think it would be a good Idea like Scottys to be assesed say 5 bucks each and have a roving security..Cheap enough...Prevention is 99% of the cure..
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

There needs to be security across the street at the parking garage too, not just in the front of the hotel. But, with a large multi-level parking facility such as this one it would require a whole security crew.

I've been going to the downtown ISGC hotel ever since it moved from the Chase Park Plaza Hotel (I used to go every year when living in Kansas City but now its generally every other year since retiring and moving to Florida). The hotel has one area on the lower floor of the parking garage for guest parking, but most of the time I've had to park on a "public" parking level as the hotel area was always full. So hiring security for the hotel parking area in front of the hotel does not help a lot of people.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

rpetersen wrote:You could tell the police - I heard the shot and saw him fall, but I don't know where it came from!! :wink:
I like the way Delbert McClinton's character in the tune "THE RUB" put it:

I never shot him, he shot himself!

While he was shootin at me........
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Ray Montee

Hey Scotty!

Post by Ray Montee »

Aren't there enough down and out musicians in the St.Louis area that choose not to attend the ISGC that could be rustled up for a good paying gig as security personnel? Three days of 'duty time' would be better than the last gig they played, I'd guess.
PLUS the bonus of a "FREE" T-Shirt with 'Security'
emblazened upon it for the world to see.
Don Lanier

Security

Post by Don Lanier »

Ive got a great Idea, we all get one T shirt printed that says SECURITY, and wear them on different times all weekend, theyll think Holy Batmobile thats a lot of security...lets get outta here !!!