Ultimate Amp for Apartment for Steel and 6 String

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Donald Boyajian

Ultimate Amp for Apartment for Steel and 6 String

Post by Donald Boyajian »

Although I'm no city boy, I'm moving to Manhattan in September for work. I guess my days of blasting two AC30's in stereo are done. Having a bunch of large amps crowding up a small apartment might also be a problem as well.

My question is this (and I'm sorry if it's been discussed as well). If you needed one amp for PSG and six string that got a really good tone at apartment level? Not something passable.

My guess would be an older Deluxe Reverb? I've always liked them on six string. I'm not really interested in playing six string through a solid state amp, and honestly, I like the sound of PSG from earlier days as well- so, I'm thinking something like a Deluxe would fit the bill. Wasn't Mr. Green using a Deluxe for sessions before the Twin (granted he could sound awesome through a $10 amp). Thanks!

Best,
DOn
Tom Wolverton

At apt vols, do you really need tubes?

Post by Tom Wolverton »

DR is great, so is a Princeton. But, for practising, I like a good headphone circuit. The new Fender Mustang I is great for that and is very inexpensive.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

I hate turning tubes on and off several times each day... I'd rather use solid-state for daily and save the tubes for the stage, as long as I can get a tone I can live with. For steel guitar the Roland Cube series has what I need.

One interesting feature (on at least the 40XL up) is the Power Squeezer button... takes it way down to conversation level, but the preamp is still cranked, you really notice the difference.
Steve Humes

Post by Steve Humes »

+1 on the Roland Cube
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Assuming by your comments that you want something old-school with tubes -

An old blackface or silverface Deluxe Reverb is great indeed, but may be a little loud for a city apartment, at least for guitar. I say Silverface Princeton with an external reverb unit or Princeton Reverb. If you look hard, you can still pick up a non-reverb SF Princeton in the $500-600 range or a SF Princeton Reverb in the $700-800 range. Blows away anything I know about, to my tastes. Of course, BF is great, but more than a little pricey.

If anything, I prefer the overall sound of the Princeton to the Deluxe, probably owing to the bias-modulation tremelo. Princetons aren't quite as hard on the 6V6 power tubes either. I have two PR's with a 10" JBL M-series speaker in one and a heavy-duty Weber in the other - they sound fantastic either alone or together. If you want to dirty it up a bit, put in an old Jensen or something comparable. I use 'em for recording either PSG or guitar, and they're great for low-volume gigs.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

This may be your 'ultimate' apartment amp http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=226138
Eric Henry

Post by Eric Henry »

This may seem like an odd suggestion but I'm a big fan of the Vox Pathfinder 15R. Poke around the various forums and you'll find a lot of love for them.

They can stay pretty clean for courteous-neighbor-apartment-style picking. They don't have any modeling features. Just spring reverb (so-so but good at this price) and tremolo (good).

Some people clip out two LEDs from the board and it gives a bit more clean headroom. I did and noticed a slight improvement.

Has a speaker out jack so you can run it into a larger cab. I liked this so much that I just took the amplifier guts and put it in a home-made cab with a Weber 12-inch Alnico speaker. Have even played steel and tele with it at a really small venue with our ever-so-tasteful drummer.

They're under $120 new and around Craigslist for $50-$75.

I've also had the Mustang I and liked it. Have a Mustang III and have enjoyed it too.

Another fairly new inexpensive option if you want tubes is that new Fender Excelsior. 15" speaker, 13 watts. $300.
Atom Schmitt

Post by Atom Schmitt »

For tubes, a Deluxe Reverb sounds incredible. But, that can still get pretty loud, even with the volume at <3. For solid state, I'll second the Mustang I suggestion. On the 65 Twin model, it sounded surprisingly good. I'd never gig with it, but for screwing around at the house, it was pretty much perfect.

I also have an Eleven Rack setup at my place that's good for playing guitars at low volume. No volume at all in fact, as it has no speakers - I use it for headphones. Granted, it's expensive, and it does a LOT more than that, as it's more of a recording interface. And a great live tool as well, since you can take whatever tones you create at home and recreate it exactly in a live setting. But if you're looking for something easy and consistent to gig with as well, I think it's worth a look - a full-blown rig (with Pro Tools 10, a MIDI controller, rack, etc.) would only cost ~$1000.
Lynn Fargo

Post by Lynn Fargo »

I just got a Fender Mustang II, and I love it on the Twin setting for my 'Bud. Only $200. I got the II because I wanted the 12" speaker. Check them out online. There are some videos on YouTube, also. Lots of different settings on them. More than I'll ever need.
I had asked a few months ago on the Forum about a good practice amp. That's how I found out about the Mustang. You could search for that thread to get some opinions.

I also picked up a used Crate just today for $25 to use with my lap steel. It has pretty good reverb and settings for dirty or clean. I think you can get one new for under $100.

Lynn
Sho-Bud Pro II Custom, GFI Ultra SD-10, Fender Pro Amp, Fender Mustang II Amp, Morrell 8-string lap, Epiphone 6-string lap, Galveston reso, etc.
Steve Humes

Post by Steve Humes »

I got a nice deal on a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe from a friend who moved to NYC. He is now using a Roland Cube 40. Volume and size were both factors.
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

Carr Rambler
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

Princeton Reverb... into the 2nd input if you want it a little quieter.
Dean Parks

Post by Dean Parks »

Try a Roland micro cube. Use blackface or acoustic for steel, same for clear electric, plus several cranked up models. Delay and reverb decent, as well as chorus. Fun amp, to me.
Brian Hunter

Re: an opinion from a bedroom player who needs to play softl

Post by Brian Hunter »

That would be a great web site if they told you how much the amp was or where you could buy one.
Brian
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Brian......http://www.mahaffayamps.com/little-lanilei-3350lt.htm

$499 and you buy directly from the US-based manufacturer out in California.

Extremely small, compact and light. Good rep too!
Jan Dunn

Good point

Post by Jan Dunn »

His old web site had ordering info. wierd. I see the 350 is up to 499. The super 50 is 50 watts and much cleaner. This version of the amp is a lot less popular than the other versions. Makes a great lapsteel amp if you turn up the gain to get a little dirt-nothing like the 350 but still pretty good.

I think I paid 300 bucks for mine years ago.