Tune of the Month - June - "Anytime"

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jerome Hawkes

Tune of the Month - June - "Anytime"

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

here is what we have for choices for our first TotM. these were either PM'd or posted on the initial thread. i've tried to include a mix of styles.
being experimental right now, we could either all agree on 1, preferably, or pick one that suits our liking. again, the main point is to learn some tunes and work on arranging, see how the next guy approaches it, hopefully a mix different tuning so we can hear new sound possibilities.

Mexicali Rose - a great tune that should be fun for all levels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmDf2IPSsKs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9MDWf9Vk0E

Anytime - standard - i've heard this country, jazz, western swing, musik, it fits lots of different styles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60meeNidBg0

Beyond the Reef - classic hawaiian tune every steeler should know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm42iSoemJE

Sleepwalk - some may roll eyes at this one, but everyone is familiar with it and hey, its probably required along with SGR as essential learning.

and folks - we need to go ahead and decide - its an election year, lets practice on this thread...vote.
Last edited by Jerome Hawkes on 4 Jun 2012 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Benjamin Kelley

Post by Benjamin Kelley »

I'm still in. Out of the suggestions I vote for "Anytime". Seems like that would be the most interesting, and have the most diverse submissions.

Cheers,
Benjamin
If I die trying I will steel the world one honky tonk at a time.
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

here is a chord/lyric chart for Any Time if anyone wants to check it out.
http://www.theguitarguy.com/anytime.htm
Steve Ahola linked to this great site - thanks! lots of good stuff.

here is a country version w/ Lil' Roy doing some tasteful steel work. he also recorded this tune instrumentally on an old LP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgnmbU5qX4o
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Ron Whitfield

Re: Tune of the Month - June

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Jerome Hawkes wrote:and folks - we need to go ahead and decide - its an election year.
For November, let's do... Hail To The Chief. :wink:
Benjamin Kelley

Hmm. Thought there might be a little more interest by now. So when do we call it official as to what tune we're going to work on? I'm game for anything. Seems like this would be a pretty good Idea if there is some participation. It only Takes 2 though I suppose and I for one could use all of the repertoire I can get, to improve my playing and practice working up material of some variety. Thanks Jerome for the great idea!

Cheers,
Benjamin
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Of course, "Anytime" is basically the same tune as "Right or Wrong", with the same changes.
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

That's a good tip Jim - see we're already getting a 2 for 1. Which brings up a good point that many of these old swing/standards have very similar chord movements - once you get the hang of navigating the changes, a whole new world opens up.

Let's run with Any Time, the server was down today but let's roll with it.
Bill Brunt

Anytime

Post by Bill Brunt »

OK, but I don't want to see anybody posting their version tomorrow! :D :D
David Venzke

Post by David Venzke »

I'm in ....

For a free lead sheet, click the link below:

Wikifonia: Any Time

Download the PDF and print it out ....
Benjamin Kelley

When is the deadline? Is this going to run the whole Month of June?

Cheers,
Benjamin
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I will submit mine on June 30. :lol:
William Lake

Post by William Lake »

Mike, you can submit your version any time :lol:
Bill
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

although my "bright idea" - there are no rules.
i would imagine there would be more discussion after we start posting something. i'm still working on how i might even record the tune, thats probably the biggest hurdle for this project. i've been waiting for new mac's to come out now for months as my old one wont run the new BIAB. this wont be anything hi-tech for sure.
maybe take a few weeks to work things out - ask some questions if you have them and put the songs up around the 20th - that gives us time to talk about what we did, etc. then maybe if there is interest, we'll continue.
i plan on continuing regardless with this thread, like Jerry Byrd often said, its 99% effort - getting in there and working the stuff out in your head / instrument.
Benjamin Kelley

I figured I would use my FaceTime HD cam for video, capture the audio w/ my Super Reverb miked into a 2 channel m-audio interface and then upload the resulting product onto youtube with a link here. I'm hoping other folks will post their submissions as video also. I believe their is an interesting visual aspect to peoples individual technique as well just look at Kayton Roberts.

By the way Jerome, I got my iMac 3 months ago refurbished from apple with a warranty for $300 less than new and it's the current model, I highly recommend going this route because in addition to saving money, you also know every things been tested well.

Cheers,
Benjamin
Rich Sullivan

Post by Rich Sullivan »

Well, somebody needs to kick this off, so here goes. I spent the afternoon working this up and posted it on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYrDG8wCxEY

I used to play this tune years ago in E13, but it always sounded to me like a copy of Roy Wiggins (which would be okay if I could play like him!) This version is played on my modified B11 tuning, which I described here.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Steve Cunningham

Post by Steve Cunningham »

Sounds great Rich!
Very cool idea Jerome.
Thomas Temple

Kudos

Post by Thomas Temple »

Rich,

Kudos to you for leading the parade as well as the excellent job you did with your rendition.

Tom
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

Rich - loved it - thanks so much for kicking this off - and what a great tune, i spent about 30 mins with it last night getting familiar with it and its a wonderful first tune to kick this off.
i'm really impressed with your hybrid B11, i read your other link and was about ready to rip the strings off one of my necks and try it, esp after hearing the christmas tunes - i've always liked the sound of B11, just never spent any time with it. this is what i was hoping would come from this - opening our ears to different tuning arrangements of the same song. i was hoping to get a Levitt tuning player involved and this is just as good.

Ben - that was a good idea with the youtube vs soundcloud point - probably easier too. keep the ideas coming and lets have fun with this.

Steve - one of my old bluegrass pickin' buddies' son is taking jazz lessons from you - Jake Rogers - we'll have to play a prank on the old man Greg.hehe :lol:
Bill Brunt

Post by Bill Brunt »

Just one week to go, guess I better get started.
...but the bar has been set pretty high.
M J Scott

Post by M J Scott »

Rich, that was excellent. As a rookie new player, I now have something to aspire to. Very tasty indeed!
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

hope to get my version done tonight - a free night finally - i took a gig playing fiddle for the July 4th weekend and have spent the last 2 weeks trying to get that going, as i havent touched a fiddle since last May....i had planned to stay on top of this tune, but as usual, its already the 26th!!

got my camera set up and tested, i've never posted to youtube so this is new all the way around - 'bout time i learned. i suspect it'll all work. i did some test runs for levels/lighting and i'm glad i did.

this is a great learning tune and still a few days to work something up. there are some spots where it would be neat to see how people approach it.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I sat down and made a quick chord melody arrangement of this last night, one chorus only. That's what I'll post, along with tab, hopefully tonight or tomorrow, time allowing.
Bill Brunt

Post by Bill Brunt »

How about an early suggestion for next time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAFqnXX9TOI

The harmony would be cool to capture.

...and simple enough for us beginners to pick out.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Here is a very quick one chorus chord melody arrangement of Anytime. Nothing fancy, a few little chord subs. C13 tuning, I played it very straight, almost exactly the way the melody was written (except for 1 or 2 small changes), so this sucker doesn't swing. Changed the key to F--not sure why, just sounds right to me there:

Edited to add extended version with solo:
Anytime

I also have the tab/notation that I'll try to post tomorrow, if anyone is interested.
Last edited by Mike Neer on 29 Jun 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Sullivan

Post by Rich Sullivan »

That is really sweet, Mike. I'm anxious to see the tab.