Ray Walker...RIP

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Mike Archer

bless Ray and his family

Post by Mike Archer »

im so sorry to hear of Rays passing
may our Lord hold Rays family close to him in this most sad time he will be missed so much by so many folks Ray was a kind man I new that when I spoke with him on the phone a few years back
bless you Ray
we will miss you brother
Emmons SKH legrande/ Nash 400 amps
Tele and deluxe amp
Randy Gilliam

Prayers Sent For Rays Family.

Post by Randy Gilliam »

Prayers sent for Rays Family,He was a Great Guy To deal with, He Will be missed By all of us! Randy Gilliam.
Shorty Smith

Post by Shorty Smith »

Sad to hear the news about Ray, Condolence to his family, Ray will be missed in the steel guitar family, Shorty
Chuck Campbell

Post by Chuck Campbell »

Ray was my friend and I loved him like a brother. I always looked forward to spending time with Ray and Deb whether it was in my home, theirs, or at a steel jam. It was always a fun time to be around them. I will miss my friend and the conversations, and laughter we shared.
Red Zum, Telonics Amp, and a Lexicon MK200 Effects.
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

My condolences to his family.
Billy Knowles

Ray

Post by Billy Knowles »

I am so sorry, Ray was a wonderful person and a great asset to the steel guitar community. He will be greatly missed.
My prayers are with Deb and the family.
Tim Tyner

Post by Tim Tyner »

My deepest sympathy to Ray's family in this most difficult time.Ray will surely be missed.
Bryant Aycock

Ray

Post by Bryant Aycock »

Ray loved the steel guitar and this forum. Ray did some good steel work on the "B Sides" CD. Ray was a very talented musician and a great guy. Kathrine and my thoughts and prayers are with family.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

My prayers and condolences to the family. His suffering is over now and he is in a better place.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria
Fred Thompson

Post by Fred Thompson »

So sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
The difference between a musician and a savings bond is eventually the bond will mature and earn money.
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Anna and I are Sadden by the loss of a great friend and buddy Ray walker. Ray and I go back to when Anna and I moved down here in 2003 and I was in my Steel room playing my Steel Guitar and in came this guy I never seen before but had talked to him on the Forum.Yes it was Ray and he and I hit it off great. I will miss going over to see him Debbie and the boys.I did not hear about this until yesterday after noon when Billy Barbour (BJ) called me and gave me the sad news. Ray was like a kid brother to me and I will also miss going over and helping him out in the shop and Anna would go with Deb to do things that Deb had to get done.I would sweep the saw dust off the floor when he would go into the house for something and he would come back out and say you are like Skip Mertz got to keep the floor clean.Ray would sit behind his Steel and show me lots of things and by the time I got home I would not remember what he showed me. He tryed hard to teach me to do better on the Steel but I just could not get it.Derick,Tyler,Cody,and Deb Anna and I are here if you need us.We are just a phone call away.I will miss a guy I admired for his talent and friendship.God take good care of Ray and his family and some day we will meet again.
Sam & Anna White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
David Coplin

Post by David Coplin »

What terrible news !! I never had the good fortune to meet Ray in person but after our many chats in the Steel Guitar chat room it seemed I have known him
forever. His humor, his knowledge of this instrument
that we all love, and his contribution and hard work
to keep the chat room alive will all be missed. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family and all the
folks that call him Friend. Rest in peace Ray. We will never forget you.

Dave
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

Thanks all for all of your prayers and condolences.

There will be a memorial service for Dad on Saturday June 23rd at 2:00pm. We will begin receiving close friends and family at 1:30.

Crumpler's Crossroads

2635 Lizzie Mill Rd

Selma, NC

-The Walkers
johnnyb

Post by johnnyb »

Rest in Peace, Ray. We'll miss our friend. Our thoughts and prayers go to Deb and the family.
Johnny Barham
Pedal Steel Poser at large, without portfolio.
Billy J Barbour

Ray Walker

Post by Billy J Barbour »

Jan and I just want to send our condolences and prayers to the family. If there is anything we can do just call. There will NEVER be another Ray. He was one of a kind. Always there to help and keep a smile on your face. He was more than a friend, he was a mentor and he was like family to us. REST IN PEACE RAY! WE LOVE YOU ALWAYS. Jan and Billy (BJ)
Billy J Barbour, Derby SD10 steel, Nashville 400 with 15. Rains D10 and a walker seat
Ricky Hagan

Post by Ricky Hagan »

I'm so sorry to hear the sad news of Ray's passing.I'll never forget the times we spent together.Ray was one of a kind.A great friend to all.He will be missed by all.Deb if you need anything let me know. I truly mean that.
Ricky
Terry McCumbee

Post by Terry McCumbee »

Our deepest sympathy to Ray's family. He was one of a kind. Ray was a good friend and will not be forgotten. He will live on in our hearts.
God Bless
Terry & Dee
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Not related but Ray and I called each other cousin. He'll be surely missed. Prayers and thoughts for the Walkers tonight. JW
Show Pro D10, Session 400
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

just got back from my week end gig & read this sad news
Ray Walker was a bro & good people to me
He's w: the Lord now
my Prayers & Condolences to his Family
RIP Ray
Jim Thompson

Post by Jim Thompson »

Came home from my weekend gig last night and read the news. We knew it was coming and it still hurts so much. I got to spend a day with him in march when I was in NC. We spent all day on a Sunday jamming and telling war stories. It was a fun day and it was before he got the bad news in April. He called me in tears and told me the news and I was numb. I loved him like a brother and always enjoyed stopping at his house when I go to NC. I'll miss him very much. To Deb and the boys, we will be praying for you guys that God will comfort you during this time of grief, and in the days to come.
Zum U-12 8&6, Emmons p/p SD12U, Dekley U12, Session 2000, Peavey Session 115, Nashville 112.Tubefex/Stewart1000 Pro, Jagwire strings.
George Crowder

Post by George Crowder »

My condolences to the Ray Walker family. May God grant you peace as you grieve for your departed loved one.

I met Ray in Bristol several years ago. He was always ready to talk steel guitar.
Stan Knowles NC

Post by Stan Knowles NC »

Ray Walker was a "CARING"..."SHARING" man....who
WANTED TO GIVE to everyone he could! God, thank you
for Ray...and Deb. thank you for sharing him with us
all!

Ray told me not too long ago at his home...that he was
ready to go be with the Lord...and that he knew beyond
any doubt that he was going to heaven!

Ray, I know that God is glad to have you there...but
you're missed already by those you left behind!
Emmons Legrand II D10 - Gretsch White Falcon stereo - Peavy NSVL. 1000 - Peavy Stereo Chorus 400
Jerry Fleming

Post by Jerry Fleming »

I am very sad to learn of Ray's passing. My prayers go out to Deb, his family and all of his extended family and friends. RIP my friend.

Jerry
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Ray Walker was a very special person and a good and caring friend to all who knew him. I first met him at one of the MASGA events which took place in the Bar-B-Que place in Wilson, NC some years ago. We hit it off pretty good and he'd just got into making seats. I ordered one from him and didn't have enough cash to pay for it and he didn't take credit cards. I believe it was Chuck Campbell that took my credit card and settled up with Ray for the seat. I've never been one to call up anyone much but Ray called me at least a couple of times a year and we'd talk for a long time. The last time I spoke with him was before one of Sam White's events that he was going to be attending. He said "You're seat's getting old, how's it holding up?" I told him that it was still doing OK and he told me that if I'd bring it to the event he'd replace it free of charge. I didn't make the event and I'm sorry I didn't, not because of getting the seat replaced, but that I didn't get to see Ray. He was a sweet guy, talented steeler (and vocalist), superb seat builder and good friend. We'll all miss him a bunch.........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Tommy Huff

Ray Walker

Post by Tommy Huff »

Members, let me tell about my friend Ray Walker. When I started building speaker cabinets about 4 years ago I recieved an e-mail from someone I didn't know. It was Ray Walker. He told me he really liked my cabinets and to keep up the good work. I knew of Ray because of his steel seats and thanked him for the compliment. Since that time Ray and I became great friends and talked at least twice a week. Always good to talk to Ray....a very interesting person....this is such a loss to everyone that knew Ray. I very much regret not ever getting to meet Ray in person...........someday.....God Bless Debbie and the family...........Tommy