Traveling/flying with a pedal steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Christopher Hillman

Traveling/flying with a pedal steel

Post by Christopher Hillman »

I've just been doing a quick search on the forum and read a few topics about flying with a steel, but before i buy tickets i need to figure out whats the best way to do this.

I'm heading to Nashville as mentioned in another thread and probably will fly to Atlanta or Dallas and then head over from there.

My questions are:

- At the moment does anyone know the going rate to fly with a steel? (not sure how heavy mine is yet, still need to weigh it) just any idea... I've never done anything like this.

- What do steel players usually travel with? If i'm spending about 5 weeks out there and i don't want to bring a lot... I was going to fly out with my steel and volume pedal/leads bag.

This might sounds stupid, but how many people fly with their seats? I always find it a pain if the chair is a bit low and i do only use a cheap drum stool anyway.

- I'm thinking of attaching casters maybe to the bottom of the case instead of using a trolly to drag it around. is this the done thing? I don't really want to buy a new case if i can help it.

Any info about what is the done thing. I doubt i'll always have access to a car over there with the high hire prices being just under 25.

This is my steel and case. It seems quite a stronge case and i read about packing it out inside to stop damage. plus its quite a small case (82cm x 32cm)

Thanks, Chris

www.cjhillman.com
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Look up the baggage policy of the airline you are taking. Be very aware of the number of bags and weight restrictions. The airlines are very strict about this and will do everything possible to get as much money from you as they can. You might be able to buy a used drum seat in the US for less an it will cost you to carry it with you.

Pack your bags to so each item is right up to the weight limit. For instance you might want to pull the legs and pedal rack out of the road case to bring that weight down and put them in with your cloths to bring that pieces weight up.
Bob
Luke Schneider

Post by Luke Schneider »

Christopher,
I recently flew to europe and back with a pro 1 and a pack seat. Ibviously, each airline is different. I highly recommend figuring out a way to keep your steel and case under 50 pounds. That way you will avoid overage fees if your airline allows you to check 2 bags free. This is common on international flights, but very rare for domestic flights.

I had a pack seat custom made for me by steeler's choice that would fit the most strict carry-on restrictions. I would look up your airline's weight and dimension restrictions to see if your seat will be ok. Keep in mind two things: 1) carrying a pack seat through an airport, especially int'l terminals, gets heavy fast and it is a miserable experience. Trust me. 2) even if your seat fits the airline's carryon guidelines, you are still at the mercy of the airline reps/desk clerks/flight attendants. You might make it all the way to the gate with your seat, only to find an airline worker who's in a bad mood make you check it.

Flying out if Nashville is always your best option when it comes to flying with instruments and gear. The airline people in nashville bend the rules like you wouldnt believe and are very accomodating to musicians. There are many reasons for this, and we partially have the local union to thank, but also just because after 50 years , the airport has given up fighting with the musicians that fly out dailt and they mostly just appease us.

Sometimes i will even use this against the airline when i'm flying back, playing the "well thats not what they charged me in nashville" card. You will always get a different story from each airline rep you talk to regarding baggage fees. If im travelling with a band, it helps to get the tour manager to intervene and argue with them if i feel they are overcharging me.
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Chris,you can buy easy to fit wheels from various places, plus put on a spring loaded speaker type handle on the top end.Various airlines have different rules, Ryanair for instance have a set charge for instruments(32kgs max).BA depending on what class you travel can give you up to three bags at 23kgs each ,others only let you have two or even one.Check with the particular airline you plan to travel on.At check in ask if you can check it in at the boarding gate, this means it does not end up going on the conveyor system, some will let you others will not.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

Chris,

If you are flying Delta, their limit is 70 lbs. per bag without overweight charges. My D10 (9+9) Mullen G2 weighs 69 in a standard case stuffed in a cardboard box. I flew it from Atlanta to Phoenix like this with no issues in January.

I fly continuously with my day job and have a higher opinion than most on airline baggage risks, maybe based on the law of averages. YMMV. (Now that I have made that statement, my axe will probably get destroyed next time. :eek: )
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Malcolm McMaster

Chris meant to add to previous post, most security/customs staff have no idea what a pedal steel is, so stick a picture of it assembled on inside of case with note saying "this is guitar assembled, if you are removing to inspect PLEASE lift out holding end plates DO NOT pick it up by metal rods as this will damage guitar.THANK YOU", I would also put your name and address just in case it goes astray.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Kyle Everson

Post by Kyle Everson »

The trick to flying your steel is to get a lighter case. I've flown my Franklin SD-10 5x5 all over the US, Europe, and even a trip to the Middle East in the original Woody Woodell fiber case with zero damage whatsoever. I'm inclined to believe that baggage handlers are less harsh on a lighter case since it isn't so difficult to lift. Danny Bentley makes a great fiber case; the Woodell cases aren't available anymore. Danny built a similar case for my seat and it weighs about 3 lbs. The steel (with the legs packed away in my suitcase) comes in at 44.5 lbs, and it's a pretty loaded-up guitar.

Another crucial step, which I learned here on the forum, is to include a note inside the case explaining what a steel guitar is and that it should be handled with care. I always put my phone number, email, and address on the note under my full name. I keep a D2F cover on the cabinet also.

Good luck with your flights and enjoy your trip over here!
Christopher Hillman

Post by Christopher Hillman »

Thanks for all the advice so far guys!

Lots of things to think about there and some stuff like the assembled picture that i never even thought about.

If you take the legs or legs and pedal rack out and put them in your suitcase, do they not get really suspicious when they scan that bag? I don't fly much, but i know that they are really into anything that looks odd. will they not say that it should be with the rest of the steel in the case? or are they ok once they've seen that its just metal rods and bars?

Malcome, I think the easy fit wheels and spring loaded handle are a must... i think i could do with them anyway to be honest. I'll get onto that very soon

I'll look into different airlines baggage policys know.

I think i'd change the string when i was to get to the states, but do people slacken them off like you would on a normal 6 string?

once this bit is sorted out, i think i'll feel a lot better...
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

No need to slacken the strings for the flight.
Bob
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

If you put he legs and pedal bar in your suitcase, also put a picture of the set up guitar, showing the legs and pedal bar attached to the whole guitar, in there with a note saying you put them in there to keep the weight down in the steel case.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Luke Schneider

Post by Luke Schneider »

i don't loosen my strings for flights. i've asked other steel guitarists if they do, including Bobbe Seymour, and all said that it is unnecessary to loosen strings on a steel guitar. 6 strings on the other hand, yes.

regarding the note/picture for security inspectors...I usually do this. its just a good idea. I write a little note thanking them for their hard work and keeping us safe, and then kindly ask them to be gentle with my instrument, and not pull on the rods that they see.

One time, for some reason or another, I didn't add a note with the steel, when i was flying back to the states from Madrid. the guitar was inspected and it was totally out of whack when i set it up again back home. Nothing broken, but very out of adjustment. one of the inspectors probably yanked on some things and wasn't at all gentle.
Christopher Wray

Post by Christopher Wray »

Hey Christopher,
I fly with my steel all the time and I've checked it on multiple airlines. Your case looks great. It looks stronger than mine and mine has worked just fine. Put a little note card in with the steel that says something like, "This is a pedal steel guitar, please be careful with rods, springs or other moving parts while inspecting". I've also heard of people putting in a picture with the steel fully setup so that TSA knows what it is they're looking at but I've never done that.

Also... Tell the airline that it's an instrument and you'd like it to travel on the oversized belt, that way it doesn't take the long, curvy trip on multiple belts to get to the plane. You'll have to pick it up at the oversized baggage claim though. So don't try to pick it up at the regular baggage claim.

I never travel with my seat. I try to stay as light as possible. I usually bring 2 Goodrich L120's and a Strymon Blue Sky Reverb pedal. That way you're covered if a volume pedal goes down or there isn't any reverb on the backline amp you'll be using.

Out of all of the airlines I've checked my steel with, Virgin is by far the best. They have a respect for musicians and their instruments that other airlines haven't displayed to me. Southwest hasn't been bad either. I hate flying with US Airways and I don't prefer American.

Hope that helps,
Christopher Wray
Malcolm McMaster

Chris, Christopher is right Virgin are pretty good, last year my son bought a guitar in Florida, at check in the guy told us to check it in at the gate, on arrival at gate the clerk asked us to wait,went on board and asked the cabin attendants if we could carry it on and they said yes and put it in a cupboard for safe keeping.Always worth asking.