What should this MSA Double Vintage XL sell for?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Amy Osborne

What should this MSA Double Vintage XL sell for?

Post by Amy Osborne »

Hi folks!

This beauty was brought into my shop for consignment. The owner is a retired, very well respected steel player in Indianapolis. He's a nice ol' guy that used to play with my grandfather and I want to get him the most money possible. So far I have been unable to find any comparables to figure a price. I keep finding single necks or different models of MSAs.

Does someone here have a suggestion on price?

Thank you, thank you!!
Arthur's Music Store
Historic Fountain Square
Indianapolis, IN
Since 1952

www.ArthursMusic.com
Amy Osborne

Post by Amy Osborne »

Oh! This does include the original case, everything works and there doesn't seem to be any major repairs past or present. Thanks!
Arthur's Music Store
Historic Fountain Square
Indianapolis, IN
Since 1952

www.ArthursMusic.com
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Dang, that's purty.
Assuming it weighs about the same as a Classic D-10 (upper70s,) I'd call it $1700 if you want it to move, and 2000-2100 if you don't mind waiting.
That's assuming that the underside doesn't need disassembly and cleaning. If it's gummy under there and only functioning smoothly by luck, subtract 400.
Again, that's gorgeous. If my guitar had needed refinishing, that's the color I'd have chosen (but doing the neck glossy black.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

That guitar is well worth 2 g's..........
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

My estimate would be $1400-$1800, depending on the number of levers it has. It is very rarely that an older MSA approaches $2,000 unless it's a dealer offering, or unless it is an "SS" model. Nice guitar, though!
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

I know the old Vintage XL is very heavy but they sure sound good. A friend of mine has a S10 Vintage XL that still is a great guitar. He bought it new in the 70's best I remember.
Bill
Dave O'Brien

Msa D-10

Post by Dave O'Brien »

If it were mine I'd take $ 1500. and be glad for it(and I have for one prettier than that one). I love MSA guitars (have 3 U-12's) but D-10's are just too heavy for many players who tour. Just my humble opinion.
Dave O'Brien
Emmons D-10, CMI D-10, Fender Deluxe Reverb, PV 112, Fender Pro Reverb
www.myspace.com/daveobrienband
Ray Anderson

Post by Ray Anderson »

A famous Steel place in Nashville priced one to me for $1800 about a year ago. :)
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Wow that's pretty, I have a matching Classic SS. I'm in the selling mode now though, instead of buying mode. I would agree with Donny Hinson on the price.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Larry Robertson

Post by Larry Robertson »

I've got a blue lacquer one just like that one (SN:2C6698-Reese said it was made 1980). I would not part with it for less than $2000.00 and probably would want $2500, I know I'd never get it. But I like it that much! Totally stock 8 & 5. Works perfectly.
MSA D-10, Carter U12, Fessy SDU-12,Emmons P/P D-10, Emmons P/P U-12,Emmons S-10 ShoBud SuperPro, Lap steel, keyboards, 6-string Guitars.. too many
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

For whatever it's worth, both my classic u-12's fetched $1,500 on E-bay. Interestingly, both auctions expired, and then I received messages from Europe from people who wanted to buy them. I have no idea what that means.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Duane Dunard

Post by Duane Dunard »

Donny's price is very realistic in this poor economy.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Depending on who wants it & how bad for it to bring 2G's ,1400.00-1600.00 is a fair price.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

It would help if we knew how many knee levers and could see a shot of the mechanics underneath and the condition of the case/leg bag.

Assuming it has at least 4 KLs and a nice case and is really clean, no major dings etc., it should be worth 2K. The XL and SS are the most desirable MSA guitars of this era. You can always go down in asking price.

It depends on who the buyer is also and how fast you are looking to move it. Someone looking to buy a cheaper D10 might not want to pay that price, but someone looking specifically for an XL just might. JMO.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Sweetwater Trading Post

There is a S-10 3X4 on this site & they're asking $2000.00
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

They could ask $10,000 too. It's a free country, but nobody is compelled to buy, either.

KP
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

2K for a '70s vintage MSA S-10 ?!?
It's good to know the supply of starry-eyed dreamers has not run out.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
William W Western

Post by William W Western »

Lane Gray wrote:It's good to know the supply of starry-eyed dreamers has not run out.
It's funny how over the years in any given city there are one or two pedal steels that change hands from one starry eyed dreamer to the next. Usually they are in need of a tune up and are priced just low enough to attract first time PSG enthusiasts.
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

I have one exactly like that--Vintage XL, D-10, 8 X 5, Burgundy, except mine has the original MSA pick-ups. Ordered it direct from Maurice on the phone in 1979. I too, am trying to figure-out what to sell it for.
Amy Osborne

Post by Amy Osborne »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:It would help if we knew how many knee levers and could see a shot of the mechanics underneath and the condition of the case/leg bag.

Assuming it has at least 4 KLs and a nice case and is really clean, no major dings etc., it should be worth 2K. The XL and SS are the most desirable MSA guitars of this era. You can always go down in asking price.

It depends on who the buyer is also and how fast you are looking to move it. Someone looking to buy a cheaper D10 might not want to pay that price, but someone looking specifically for an XL just might. JMO.
Thank you all so much for the great information!

It is a 5K and 9F. And everything works properly, no sticking or slipping and clean underneath.

I think from everyone's comments, with the owners' approval, I'll probably list it $1,800 and sell it for $1,700.
Arthur's Music Store
Historic Fountain Square
Indianapolis, IN
Since 1952

www.ArthursMusic.com
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Sounds very realistic.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

don't tell anyone, though.
that steel is really pretty!