Cashdollar Western Swing DVD Info

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Russell Baker

Cashdollar Western Swing DVD Info

Post by Russell Baker »

Hi Gang........

Either I am reading things wrong or I am confused.

(I have an Ex Wife who will tell
you that I am wrong and confused!)

I do understand that on the Cindy Cashdollar Western Swing DVD's she is playing an 8 string Steel Guitar.
And that for the most part you can do what she is doing on a 6 string.

What I am confused on is what tuning she is using.

Some places I have read she is using the Basic C6
and on other places I have read she is using a variation.

Now I am very new to Lap Steel and I am just wanting to stay with Basic C6 tuning. I don't need to get confused at this stage with even a minor change to Basic C6.

Thanks
R.E. Baker
There's lots more of me where I come from!
Dave Mayes

Post by Dave Mayes »

Cindy uses a C6th tuning with a high G.

Tuning is low to high: ACEGACEG.

With your six string C6th tuning(CEGACE) you can play most of what is thrown at you. She uses the high G rarely. With a bit of experience you'll be able to work out the few high string bits on the top two strings of your basic six string tuning.

Good Luck!
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

Some of us like the "high" C6 (lo to hi ACEGACEG) on an 8 string, and just leave off the bottom 2 (A & C) when playing 6 string. I, like Cindy, enjoy having the full major triad on top. Matter of taste, and a matter of what you are wanting to do with it.
Good luck, which ever path you start with.
It's all good.
Benjamin Kelley

Post by Benjamin Kelley »

I do highly recommend an eight string though, seems the instructional material is geared for it. If you still aren't progressing they Skype lessons from John Ely at http://www.hawaiiansteel.com. Best money I've ever spent! He knows exactly how to get you up and playing. He was Cindy Cashdollar's teacher.

Cheers,
Benjamin
If I die trying I will steel the world one honky tonk at a time.
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

I also have this DVD and like you was somewhat confused at the beginning but if you refer back to the booklet's pages on alternative note positions you can quickly readapt each tune to a "standard" C6, 6-string tuning.

Having followed this forum for a while now, I just assume that "Western Swingers" think of C6 with a high G whilst the "Hawaiians" generally prefer an E on top.

I endorse the comments here about getting an 8 string, it is not as much of a leap as I feared although you'll still have to cope with people advocating a hi-G/lo-A vs. hi-E/lo-G!

\ Paul

(Don't even get them all started on E13, they'll take days to quieten down! :D )
Fuzzy Plant

Post by Fuzzy Plant »

Benjamin
Just to fill you in a little more on Cindy Cashdollar. I think if you check with her, you will find that she had her first lessons on dobro and steel guitar from a friend just outside of Woodstock, named Charlie Ferrara. In fact he gave her her first dobro. Check with her and correct me if I'm wrong. It was good that she pursued it further and was able to become what she is today. I've not had the opportunity to see her perform since she moved from Woodstock. But, if she is ever here in our area in Florida, I will do my best to see her. My wife also would be very happy to speak to her again.
Thank you Benjamin for adding her to the post.
Fuzzy
Fred

Post by Fred »

Every time she uses the high G she shows you how to get the same thing with the E string.