What steel is Red Rhodes playing on this tune??

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Al Udeen

Playing at Reds store

Post by Al Udeen »

In 75 when I was doing the Sho-Bud seminars, I did one at Red's store in No. Hollywood, I don't remember what
Red was playing, but it wasn't a ZB, I remember I was playing a LDG, forum member, Steven Finley was there & I'm quite sure he would know what Red was playing those days, Jeff Baxter was sitting on the floor playing Bass. au
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Could it also be possible that he played several brands at the same time?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

I bought my first pedal steel from Red in 1975, and I saw him play several times before that with Make Nesmith at McCabes in Santa Monica. For those gigs, he played an 8 string Fender 400. It was a left handed steel that he had converted to play right handed. When I asked him why, he said "This steel has the best tome of any steel I've ever played". I'm pretty sure he used it on Mike's records. It was pretty weird looking.- Jack
ed packard

Post by ed packard »

It was mid 70s, Palomino Club in North Hollywood, Red's was the house band, Jerry Cole on Vocals and lead...Red was playing a Sierra = Orange like if I remember rightly. I was there with an octave dividing device using logic chips.

I think that Red liked to compliment his hair with his guitar colors.
John Groover McDuffie

Post by John Groover McDuffie »

I worked at Red's Royal Amp Service "Where you get it royally!" 1979 till 1981, and at that time he was playing a Dekley, but he also had an old Fender around. (The Fender was painted some outlandish blue-orange scheme and had lots of stickers on it IIRC)

He had his Eb6 tuning on one neck (front, I think) and his Eb diatonic tuning on the other neck.

Incidentally, he told me a story about a session at which he was using the Dekley and having trouble getting a part right. He called his cartage company and had them bring his old Fender to the studio and he got the part immediately. FWIW
Joerg Hennig

Post by Joerg Hennig »

Thanks Joachim for the info about Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers. I've had that album, Bongos Over Balham, for years as a home-made copy on CD and always wondered who the steel player was (another great steel part is on the song "Truck Drivin' Girl"). It always sounded like an accomplished steel player to me rather than a guitar player playing some steel on the side. So that was the great Red Rhodes.
Steven Finley

Post by Steven Finley »

Al Udeen,you are right I do remember what steel Red
played that day it was a sierra d-10 with eb6th
on top neck,and diatonic tuning on bottom neck,it was
rosewood mica,with gold anodized,finish.
Al,I remember you and red playing flawlessly.
Buy the way Al werent you driving a maroon chevy
montecarlo back then?
Al Udeen

Sho-Bud Music store seminars!

Post by Al Udeen »

Steven: What an awesome memory you have regarding the
MonteCarlo, The local Gretsch Rep that drove me to all
of the seminars in LA had a MonteCarlo, but my memory says it was light blue! I also did 2 weeks of seminars,
including one at Blackie Taylors store in Garden Grove,
Such Great memories from that time period! au
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Joerg there's an article about the band in vol.25 of this music magazine:
http://www.shindig-magazine.com/back-issues.html
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Stephen Calhoun

Post by Stephen Calhoun »

I want to hazard an evidence-free guess. The ZB in the clip with Bert Jansch was there already or otherwise was a loaner brought into the studio for the session in Sussex, UK.
slide avant-gardist, experimentalist, echo surfer
two 1970-ish Fender 400, Fouke Industrial Rail, Allen Melbert 6, Rondo SX -- everything one way or the other through Guitar Rig/Logic/Apple/synthesizers/iPAD. ...sometimes out to a Tech 21 Trademark 60 1x12
recording as Kamelmauz.bandcamp.com
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Your guess is wrong. Red Rhodes was listed in the ZB catalog as a ZB endorsee/player/owner.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Kevin is right. Red brought that ZB to the UK and used it here. It ended up with Eric Snowball, the UK importer of ZB guitars in the 1970's.

I remember seeing it close up in Eric's store, and the guitar still had Red's diatonic set up on it.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,