Herby Wallace

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Bobby DeMoss

R.I.P. Herby

Post by Bobby DeMoss »

I am so terribly saddened.
Herby has and always will be an influence for me.
Rest in peace Herby and our condolences to the family.
A Rig-Zumsteel 08 Anti E9th 9x10, Vegas 400's x2 Lemay Mods, B Rig-Zumsteel 99 9x10, Stroborack's X2, Lexicon MPX200's x2.
Pete Taylor

Post by Pete Taylor »

So sad to lose such a talented player and steel guitar legend. RIP
Herman Wainwright

Herby Wallace

Post by Herman Wainwright »

I just found out today about Herby and am very saddened. Over the last few years at steel shows from all over the southeast I've had several conversations with Herby from steel accessories, tabs, music and Masonry. I told him a story that my wife had a problem with one of his cd's that I had purchased from him at a previous show. He was concerned and asked what was the problem. She said she could not get any paper work done for tapping her pen on her desk and patting her foot. He was one of my steel guitar heroes and a Masonic Brother. He will be missed greatly. Herman and Donna
Fred Nolen

A Friend to All

Post by Fred Nolen »

I just read of Herby's passing. My heart and prayers go out to his family. The last time I remember seeing him, we met at the Golden Corral in Sevierville for me to pick up a Hilton pedal that I had purchased. We had lunch, which I enjoyed greatly. Even though I spent very little time with Herby, he always made me feel like we were close friends - a true gentleman in every respect. I am reminded of the old George Jones song, "Who's Going to Fill Their Shoes." You know, the answer is nobody. I started to say we had lost a great friend, but if you know where someone is, he or she is not lost. I am saddened, and he will be greatly missed by all of us. Ol' Fred in Mohawk.
Peter Luyt

Herby Wallace

Post by Peter Luyt »

I am shocked to learn of Herby's passing. I ordered a Mullen G2 and volume pedal from Herby and collected it at the Dallas show. Meeting him personally and hearing him play the steel left a deep respect for this great man. In spite of the fact that he was'nt well when he arrived, we saw his brilliant performance. My deepest condolances to Bunny and family
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

A loss of a great friend. Herbie came to the Greeneville Steel Guitar Jam that Anna and I ran back in 2003. He was a good friend and we also use to see and eat lunch with Herbie in Norwalk Conn. at the Norwalk Steel guitar Shows for a good many tears.We also seen and sat and talked with Herbie at the Country Tonight theater in Pigion Forge. I was there when he was there to introduce another Steel Player into the Hall Of Fame.Darn I can't remember his name as he pass away a wile back. He use to be on the Steel Guitar Chat Room.I go back a ways with Herbie.I also bought all my Jag Wire Strings from him. Anna and my prayers are with Herbie, Bunny and the family.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Neil Lang

Post by Neil Lang »

Herby Wallace a favorite of ours for sure! RIP Herby! Our condolences to Bunny & the family.

Neil & Barb
Sho-Bud Steel Guitars, 3 Super Pro's, 1 Super Pro II (Rose) & 1 Finger Tip
Fender Guitars & Basses
Peavey Amps & Sound Equipment
Buck Hammock

Herby - A great guy

Post by Buck Hammock »

Wow! hadn't heard this. So sad to hear. He lived near my sister near Pigeon Forge Tenn. I was never happier with a guitar purchase until I purchased my Mullen D-10 from Herby about three years ago. I'm cherishing the guitar even more now and forever. I would like to have talked to him one more time.
Buck Hammock
SFR Recording Studio
Pedal Steel and Lead Guitar
Live Music and all your Recording Needs
Emmons LaGrande D-10
Mullen G2 SD-10
Custom Shop Strat
2019 50's Tele
Carlos Polidura

Post by Carlos Polidura »

Just learned today about Herby's passing. We lost another great steel guitar player. So sad. He was one of my favorites. My condolences to the family. I will miss him. Rest in peace. With all due respect.
Carlos Polidura
Dallas Cheked

Herby Wallace, A Great Player and Teacher

Post by Dallas Cheked »

I just learned from a close friend that the Lord had called Herby home in April. He will be dearly missed. However, through the miracle of recording, his music will live on forever. His seminars have added new life to my playing. I still have some of his tabs and recordings in my collection. The performance he put on at the Mercer, PA steel jam was awesome. I currently play with the bar I bought from Herby at that jam.
May God bring comfort to his wife and family in this time of great loss.
EMCI D-10 Steel 8+6, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Twin Reverb, Stelling Staghorn Banjo,Vintage Premier Banjo, Dobro D-60 and F60S Squarenecks, Fender Stratocaster, Boss RV-5, DD2,GE7, Goodrich SteelDriver II.
Greely Baggett

Herby Wallace

Post by Greely Baggett »

I was fortunate to get to personally meet Herby at one of the Tulsa Steel Conventions. I'm just now finding out about this unfortunate event. Even though I was only a brief acquaintance, I can reassure you all that Herby has his spot reserved in the lead section there in Heaven at the great jam session. His level of character certainly matched his level of musicianship and vise versa. What a player! He was truly a humble gentleman; a real class act. May God bless his family with the strength, love, joy and peace that Herby always had during his lifetime. He will be truly missed.
Greely Baggett-Songwriter/Singer/Musician
GMA-ASCAP
Augustus Odell

Post by Augustus Odell »

One of the greatest steel pickers . He will be missed . God Bless
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I certainly (along with everybody) missed Mr. Wallace at the PSGA show this past Nov in CT......Herby was a main stay through thick & thin.....he was a humble endearing man even when he was the most monsterous player in the room....I loved his stage presence as much as I enjoyed his playing......
Darrell Criswell

Post by Darrell Criswell »

I went to the PSGA the first time Herby played after his stroke. I got there just as he had started playing the songs "Born to Lose" and "I Love you Because", although he apologized for his problems after his stroke, this was the most beautifully I had ever heard the songs played. Herby had a wealth of knowledge about country music and was a great guy to talk with. RIP