Marty Stuart Show

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Vantine

Post by Bob Vantine »

8) Leroy is very talented and has several awards starting from his early years .... 8) just like Roy Clark and several others . 8)

;-) Don't mess with him tho ..... :roll: afterall he does have :whoa: "MAFIA Connections" :P ..... might find yourself chained up to a still somewhere ..... OH,NO ! :lol:
EQUIPMENT:
"TEAK" ZUM STAGE-ONE Steel / C6th Lapsteel
Peavey NV112 , CLASSIC and EFX112 amps
Peavey Guitars
Tim Tyner

Post by Tim Tyner »

I would just like to agree with Scott and Darrel,besides I would never criticize a mans judgement that was smart enough to marry Connie Smith.I think theres more to Leroy's ability than what we see in these segments.Marty has always had great shows and great musicians as is he.Don,t forget the late Gary Hogue.What a fine player.
Kevin Lichtsinn

Re: About Leroy

Post by Kevin Lichtsinn »

Darrell Owens wrote:Okay, I gotta jump in here for Leroy. The reason Marty has him on the show is because despite his country bumpkin humor, he is a great musician. Have you ever tried to flail a banjo? or spin it around while singing and never miss a lick? That ain't easy to do, folks. He plays the "Grandpa Jones" style of banjo, and for better or worse, it is a part of Country Music history and the comedians like Speck Rhodes, Grandpa Jones, Minnie Pearl and so many more have provided so many laughs to so many people over the years. Leroy is carrying on a great tradition.

Yeah, I would probably rather hear Gary Carter play the pedal steel, or Marty pull that B-Bender or Connie sing another song, but you have to admit that Leroy does make you laugh, at least I do.
I agree 100%
David Eastwood

Re: Jealous

Post by David Eastwood »

Bill Howard wrote:I heard froma cpl people that Marty doesn't like competition and eddie Stubbs plays pretty good.
If Marty didn't care for competition, Kenny Vaughan wouldn't be in his band.

I love this show. As a transplanted Brit who's been here in the US half my life, I have no background in country music. I see what Marty is doing here as presenting all aspects of a very rich tradition, with a true passion for preservation. To me, Leroy Troy represents a very important part of that tradition. I don't always feel like watching him, but there's no denying the talent of the man. Similarly with Connie Smith - I really don't care for her voice, but I'm in awe of her achievements.

Gary Carter just makes my jaw drop. I pay special attention when he's on the show.
Bill Howard

Ever met Marty?

Post by Bill Howard »

Dave just curious if you have ever met Mr Stuart?.
I was friends with Charlie Louvin of the Louvin Brothers,Charlie got my wife and I backstage at the Opry, I got to meet Marty Stuart and He was nice but I'm really good at spotting jealous people, I would say Marty doesn't like taking the backseat to anyone Including kenny,Marty is as good a player as kenny,Now guitar wise Ricky Scaggs is a better guitar player,Mandolin wise Marty has it.
Fiddles ALWAYS take the prize no matter where they are played ask ANY performer about Fiddles bringing down the house they just do!. So I stand on my Eddie stubbs statement.
David Eastwood

Post by David Eastwood »

No, Bill, I've never met Mr. Stuart.

If you'd care to read what I wrote again, you'll see that I was not questioning your opinion about Mr. Stubbs - merely making an observation. I wasn't aware that music was a competitive sport.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Bill Howard, have you ever met Marty Stuart? I have. Your talking bar room gossip. He's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. His competition asbect stems from healthy respect, and NOT jealousy. He let me play his mandolin at sound check (that's how jealous he is). I've opened for him twice. He's in his own class as a musician, and that class is world class. He's also a Christian man and doesn't believe in jealosy or envy in his heart. His band members (The Fabulous Superlatives) are some of the best musicians in the world. He loves them all like brothers. The very reason he has Eddie Stubbs on the show is out of high respect and love. Marty Stuart is bearing the torch for traditional country music.
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

Yes, Leroy is carrying on the great Uncle Dave Macon tradition. IMO there is nothing lacking about Marty's show at all. Best tv show in ages for me and also the best musci tv show ever. I love every second of it. ESPECIALLY Leroy! hahahahaha!
Brian
Steve French

Post by Steve French »

I personally love the show and have tremendous respect for Marty as a player and an ambassador for country music. I have seen every single episode of the show, and the love and respect he has for the music of his guests is obvious. In addition to mega-stars like Brad Paisley and Keith Urban, he has also featured musical greats who have inspired us as players, people like Weldon Myrick, James Burton, Leon Rhodes, Duane Eddy, Kayton Roberts and many others. His show is created lovingly by top-notch musicians specifically for country musicians and fans, and it is a treasure.

Leroy Troy? I suspect he is far more talented and intelligent that what we see on the show. But I generally use the fast forward button on the DVR when his act comes on.

Steve
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Boys, Ya know that "everybodys gotta be someplace" and Leroy is just on there to make us think how much better it would be in this ole world if everyone else were as good as we are (tounge in cheek). The best that you can do is to be glad that Leroy has a job and then hit the "mute" button until his act slides on by. As fer me, I been playing guitar for 70 years and still trying to learn it (started when I was nine) and I doubt that I can displace Leroy with a better act, so I'll just wish him well.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Marty Stuart knows who is good. I liked that he had Mike Campbell (Tom Petty) playing on his "Pilgrim" album.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

I had the privilage of meeting Marty at the Dallas Steel show the year that Gary Hogue was inducted in to the Texas Hall of Fame. For Marty to take the time to talk to me ( a nobody) was really special and says a lot about his character. A really fine Gentleman. Larry
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

I think Bill has it backwards and disagree that Ricky Skaggs can outplay Marty on guitar. He has Clarence Whites legendary B-bender and can get sounds on that guitar that remind me of Clarence. Ricky on mando and definitely fiddle but Marty can pick that tele with the very best ever!I've seen Marty cut loose live and he's killer.IMHO..
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i thought marty was really nice when he did a show at a club i played regularly many years ago. he let me play the clarence guitar for a bit. i'm pretty sure he has kenny in the band cause he makes marty look that much prettier.
Kermit Monk

Post by Kermit Monk »

I agree with most of the responses that Leroy is not my favorite part of the show, but I also understand the link between traditional country music and country humor.

Marty's show is still the best show on television today. I watch very little TV, but I don't ever miss Marty's show. He is giving us a show that is super interesting to us pickers and to fans of real country music in general. What other show can you watch a picker playing Clarence White's tele or Hank Williams Martin. Rhinestone suits...this show is just dripping with country mojo. I think Marty did a great job selecting his band. I think he is picking great guests. I think he is choosing great songs to work up for the show. If he likes Leroy...I will try to like him too.

My biggest regret is that Marty's show came around so late. With all the great guests that Marty has had on his show so far, can you imagine some the guest we might have got to see if Marty's show was on a few years earlier...Tom Brumley,Ralph Mooney,Buck Owens,Gene Moles...many more...
Last edited by Kermit Monk on 11 May 2012 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
mudstand.com

ZB Custom SD-11 (4 & 7)
Mullen SD-11 (4 & 7)
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

Chris- you're so mean!
I'll add my 2c-
I like them all.
I really like the production of the show
I consider myself lucky that this stuff is available for me to see first hand. (Well, on TV)
I DVR every episode so I can go back and watch them over and over.

Keep it up Marty!
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

Did I stumble into the hen house or the duck pond? I am just thankful for Marty Stuart and the talent he brings on his show. There would be little or nothing if it were not for RFD TV. I am thankful and appreciate all the artist I get to see. Until satellite TV there was not much country western music here in the Peoples Republic of California. Yep I am mighty grateful for Marty and RFD TV.
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Finally caught a weekend of RFD TV on the Dish Network... they are doing a short time promo of Free RFD TV.

It is heartwarming to see the country music shows and snippets on that channel. I missed Marty's show Saturday night... but the rest of the material all weekend was rewarding, to see all the Texas musicians alive and picking.

Keep it up you guys and gals.... I appreciate it.
Lawyers are done: Emmons SD-10, 3 Dekleys including a D10, NV400, and lots of effects units to cover my clams...
David Evans

Post by David Evans »

This show is the best show on TV bar none and Marty is the ambassador of real country music. Everybody on the show is great and Leroy represents a part of our history that should be celebrated along with the Carter family folks he has on occasionally.The only change needed is to make it a hour so Leroy can do two songs!
Paul Martin

Post by Paul Martin »

Marty champions everybody he works with. He does it with The Superlatives, Leroy, Eddie, and Gary. He has been one of the biggest influences on all 4 of my kids, and he treats every guest on the show as if they are in the Country Music Hall of Fame, whether they are or not. I am extremely thankful to stand beside the guy on stage every time we play.
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

As well you should be Paul!

It's my favorite show on TV. And I do enjoy Leroy. I've caught him doing a serious number a time or two and it was mighty fine.

Marty's music has been a great favorite of mine ever since I first became aware of him, which was when he was playing with Cash and then when his album Marty Stuart came out in the 80's. Max Twang!!

You guys keep doing what you're doing. Hope to see you in Branson again soon. I'll never forget how nice each and every one of you folks were to me.
Doug Earnest
Manufacturer of Stage One & Encore pedal steel guitars
http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com
"Teach Your Children Well"
Kevin Lichtsinn

Post by Kevin Lichtsinn »

I love Marty's show. I just love it! Leroy? Yup. He is good too. I love his performance. Thanks Marty, for a class act and for what you do for real country music!!! PS. For those who don't like Leroy....lighten up! I feel sorry for ya. You are missin' out!
Jack Harper

Post by Jack Harper »

better yet, ...saturday night, june the 9th...
it was the 9th of june another sleepy dusty delta day... marty stuart with paul martin and all the fabulous superlatives will be live on the square in warren arkansas at the 56th annual bradley county pink tomato festival...now that is country!
it's my birthday party and ya'll invited...........

coubtry jack....