Time To Get Over The Hump

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jake L

Time To Get Over The Hump

Post by Jake L »

I have been touring the Red Dirt circuit for about a year and a half now with the John Slaughter band. I was sort of flung into this position with not much experience on steel. I had to work very hard to learn the parts that Milo (Deering) put on the album in a short time. And now that I have the CD learned, and the other covers that we do in our show, I find that I have just a catalog of licks, no real knowledge of the instrument. Whenever I am called to do a studio session, I listen back to the tracks and marvel at my own mediocrity. I don't want to be that kind of player. I think it is high time for me to increase my knowledge base of the instrument and become a better player, or else this artist is going to eventually leave me behind. I would welcome the chance to sit down with any of you fellers around these parts and just pick with you and learn. I guess I should also start taking serious lessons. Sorry for rambling on. I guess I just needed an outlet to express my feelings and frustration with myself.
Jake
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Jake, two days with Reece Anderson and you'll be astounded with the results. Stay the week and take a back seat to no one. Experience talking.

phred
Adam Goodale

Post by Adam Goodale »

Jake, lets get together, i live in Spring, right close to old town spring. I'll E-mail you my cell number.
Emmons P/P's into the loudest amp I can get ahold of. No effects other than reverb. EVER!. Come catch a show and be sure and say hi!
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Jake said: I listen back to the tracks and marvel at my own mediocrity. I don't want to be that kind of player.
Jake, Now you're done venting. I do it too! Now go out and nail it. Don't hold back! PS Don't let anyone or thing HOLD you back! :)
Jim Curtain

Post by Jim Curtain »

"A little paranoia is a good propeller."

Don Van Vliet