Herby Wallace

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Well, not alot I can add to all the wonderful things that have been said about our friend, just agree whole heartily. I will say, he gave us all a huge lesson in courage as he battled back from his stroke. Herby, we'll all miss you. Steel shows just won't be the same.

Jim
Carl Houtz

Herby Wallace

Post by Carl Houtz »

My condolences to Herby’s family. Herby was one of the greats. It’s so hard to think of all the great steel players we have lost and all their talent - but they left so much behind for all of us steel players. God bless all their families.
Roy Howard

Herby

Post by Roy Howard »

Making music in Heaven Herby. My the Lord be with the family during this time.
Roy
MCI D-10 8 X 4 Peavey Nashville 112 Fender Deluxe Reverb, Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Strat.
Goodrich 120 KORG DTR-1000
Rex Thomas

Post by Rex Thomas »

Rest in GOD's peace, Herby.
Prayers to his family.
Jim Meiring

Farewell Herby

Post by Jim Meiring »

Herby was the most patient C 6th instructor I could have ever wished for. A great talent and a wonderful gentleman will be missed by everyone who ever met him. My best wishes to his family. Jim
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Truly sad news. I've known Herby for three and a half decades and he was sure a monster player and wonderful guy. My prayers go out for Bunny and the family and may The Lord keep Herby in his loving embrace.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
Jay Keuper

Sad news

Post by Jay Keuper »

Terribly sad news. I saw Mr. Wallace perform for the first time ever at the Norwalk CT show last fall. His playing blew me away and I feel truly fortunate to have seen him.
Don Lanier

Herby

Post by Don Lanier »

My deepest condolences to Bunny and her family for the loss of Herby, he was a Master of his instrument and a talent that wont be easily replaced, I am sad to see an end of an era with pickers such as Herby passing thru, May god Bless him and give him rest and return his health in Heaven, RIP Herby Wallace...
As we all know Infirmity and health issues dont exist any longer, Pain and sickness doesnt exist at the Side of our Lord, Jesus in Heaven His will be done.
Jeff Bradshaw

Post by Jeff Bradshaw »

We lost another gem...he will be missed greatly. ..jeff
Larry Hamilton

Post by Larry Hamilton »

Juat read about this loss. Gonna miss him for sure. He is already pickin' at Heaven's Steel Guitar Show. :(
Keep pickin', Larry
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

An observation about Herby. Many times, the Central Ky. club regional shows in Nicholasville, Herby would just show up, drive all the way from Sevierville ....bring along his complement of CD's, instructional materials, etc. There would be 30 or 40 people generally at these shows, perhaps fewer.

I doubt he sold enough stuff to cover his gas, but it was clear he had a love for the steel guitar and was a true ambassador for the steel guitar.

Also, he would bring his complete rig in the SUV, the Mullen guitars and the TubeWorks Stereo rig. Never downsized, always the whole thing. Always calm and collected. Always played great, before and after the stroke. Never gave up.

I learned a lot from him about sticking to your guns and never compromising your sound no matter what. RIP Herby.
John Thomas

Post by John Thomas »

Just a few days ago I was watching Herby on a youtube video playing Four Wheel Drive and was in awe of his playing. He was one of the best. I was honored to have played with him at many steel shows including St. Louis where he made me feel very comfortable even tho that was a big deal for me. Janice and I always enjoyed going to different restaurants with Herby and Bunny. He knew where the best places to eat were. We will miss him greatly. Our prayers go out for Bunny and the family.[/b]
James Jacoby

Post by James Jacoby »

After reading all these posts, about Herby, I think one of the saddest things, is that he can't be here, and see all the outpouring of love and respect that people had for him, reflected in these messages. How many more of these losses can we take? I remember, when I got the E-mail from Rick Troyer with the heading "Herby Wallace gone home", although I was alone in the room, I said out loud, Oh no, not Herby! This is the steel guitar version of "The Day The Music Died"!
David Hubenak

Post by David Hubenak »

Herbie Wallace an absolute GIANT in the world of steel guitar. A masterful player and true gentleman will be greatly missed. I will never tire from listening to his great recorded music. Condolences to his family.
Talon Ross

Post by Talon Ross »

Herby has been one of my favorite steel players for some time. He was a true master of the insturment and an incredibly nice guy. Just a week ago I had a good talk with Herby over the phone. He was a mentor and a friend. He will be missed by everybody.
Gerry Hogan

Post by Gerry Hogan »

I've just returned from a long road trip and two of my friends sent me the sad news about Herby. At this late stage, I'm probably just going to mostly be reiterating what's already been stated, but I don't apologise.

Herby starred at my Steel Guitar Festival in England, in 2001, and he was a joy to work with. He was a fine, fine player and it was heartening to see that he was inducted into the Hall of Fame later that same year. Always approachable, always helpful, Herby was a true gentleman.

Barbara and I send our sincere condolences to Bunny and family.

Barbara and Gerry
Larry Self

Post by Larry Self »

To Bunny and the Wallace family, we love you and you are in our prayers. my dear friend Herby, Thanks for all the good memories. Angie & Larry Self
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

our hearts and prayers go out to Bunny and all the Wallace family..God is with you.
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Douglas Bone

Post by Douglas Bone »

God bless and keep the family and comfort you in your loss.

Doug
D10 Sho-Bud,D10 Mullen Pre RP, Session 500, N12
Billie Cole

Herby

Post by Billie Cole »

R.I.P.I Have played beside him many times.I will never forget.EVER!!!!!!!
Brian Ramsey-Goudie

Herby

Post by Brian Ramsey-Goudie »

So sad to hear of Herbys passing,a fantastic muscian that will be sadly missed.R.I.P.
Brian King Ramsey-Goudie.
Harvey Lamb

RE; Passing of Herby Wallace

Post by Harvey Lamb »

I send my condolences and deepest sympathy to the Wallace family.

May Herby rest in peace for eternity, he will be missed.

RIP Herby!!!!

Harvey Lamb

Calgary, Alberta Canada
DeWitt Scott

Herby

Post by DeWitt Scott »

Mary and I will be leaving St. Louis in about 5 hours to Chattanooga. We will find us a hotel or motel as close to the funeral home as we can find. If anyone else will arrive on Monday and know where you will be staying send me an email and let know the motel and Mary and I will try to check in the same motel. Even though we will be on the road my son, Michael, will see the email and will call us on the cell phone. At any rate we will be at the visitation and the service. Many people did not know that Doug Jernigan is a ordain preacher. Scotty & Mary.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I thought it fitting that I dig back and find a great video of Herby.

Check it out on Steel On The Web

Scotty, I will be in Chattanooga tonight. I also, do not know where I will be staying.

I will email Micheal.

Bill
Jerry Reece

Post by Jerry Reece »

What a shock to learn of Herby's passing. Our condolences and deepest sympathy to the Wallace family. Herby was a long time supporter of the Southern Steel Guitar Convention in Saluda. I know he supported many others. What a wonderful person and musician. We will miss him very much. Please let me know if there's anything we can do. Have comfort that Herby is with our Lord.

Sincerely,
Jerry and Debi Reece