Herby Wallace

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ron Sodos

Read it on Facebook last night

Post by Ron Sodos »

I am so saddened by Herby's passing. I just talked to him on the phone a short while ago. He was a gem of a man and a true artist on the steel guitar. He was always so supportive of my playing. I could call him anytime and he was always so inspiring. I loved his solos because they were so lyrical and melodic. I will miss him dearly.
bruce fischer

Post by bruce fischer »

RIP Herbie, may the Lord smile on you and comfort your lovely family. i thank you for all the beautiful music you have given us & for the gracious interview you helped me with for scottys magazine.
lovya, bruce & lynn
sho-bud super pro II, blue darlin' VI
Tony Rankin

Post by Tony Rankin »

Herby was one of the greats! I've had contact with him many times over the years and it was always a positive experience. I'll miss him.
Tony Rankin
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

R.I.P. Herby. Thanks for all the insights into C6th and ALL of the amazing playing.
Rick Troyer

Post by Rick Troyer »

Dear Bunny,
Please know we are praying for you and the family. As much as we are feeling the loss of a great man and steel player how much greater your loss must be.
As I scan through old photographs of Herby at the shows and listen to his masterful playing on CD I realize how blest I have been to call him my friend. He will live on in memory and in my heart .
What a reunion and Jam session must be going on in Heaven. The good Lord is certainly assembling an All Star Band. Got my ticket . Praise the Lord I'll see them again one day .
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

Another hero & legend gone from us. Rest in Gos's peace.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Bob Taillefer

Post by Bob Taillefer »

This is truly shocking news! I have had the pleasure of sharing the stage with Herby and it was an honour. We have lost another great one!
Bunny, we will be keeping you and your family in our thoughts.
Bob and Debra
Corky Tittle

Herby Wallace

Post by Corky Tittle »

As a drummer Herby could bring out the very best in me, he was a fellow Chattanoogian, and one of the best in the world. Save me a spot Herby....Cork
bob drawbaugh

Post by bob drawbaugh »

I so sad to hear this news. Our prayers are with the Wallace family. Herby RIP.
Jeremy Drawbaugh

Post by Jeremy Drawbaugh »

Wow, I am stunned sitting down to have rehearsal for our easter program, im playing bass in our praise band, when dad txt me the news. I can't believe another one of my heros is gone.

I had the priveledge several times at our Bama shows to just sit and talk to Herby. He loved to tell stories of the old days on the road and recording in the studio makin his albums. I just soaked it all up. There will never be another like him.

One of my grestest memories is a few years ago at one of our Bama shows, Herby myself, bill cook, Billy Radar and several others stayed up late after a jam session just chatting. Also I had the priveledge to have herby judge me in the steel Idol contest, he was so concerned with offending me, but really it was a great experience, thankfully I have it recorded.

RIP Herby Wallace
JDAWG
MULLEN G2 D-10 8X7
QUILTER 202 combo TT12
BOSS DD-3 BOSS CHORUS EFFECT
NEUBAR REVERB
NASHVILLE 112/400
TELONICS VOLUME PEDAL
STEELER'S CHOICE PAK-A-SEAT
Jim Means

Herby's Home Going

Post by Jim Means »

This is another hard one for me to take. Herby was a legend to me and one of the finest players ever. I always enjoyed the times I got to visit with him. He always answered every question I had with patience and understanding. A few years ago I bought a guitar from him. My daughter was headed back from North Carolina to Missouri for a visit. Herby drove several miles to Knoxville to meet her with the guitar so we wouldn't have to ship it. I will be forever greatful to him for that.

Bunny, you and the children will be in Helen and my prayers during this difficult time.

Good bye my friend,

Jim and Helen Means
Last edited by Jim Means on 7 Apr 2012 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Musicians have to play.....They really have no choice
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

RIP Herby. I'm saddened to hear this news. I've known Herby for 30 or more years. I really loved his playing. He will be missed.
My condolences to his Family.
Norm Evans
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

My sincerest condolences to this great picker and friend we met back in the 80's and have been friends ever since i was so grateful that HERBY played one of my max-toned guitars in Fulton Ms. few years back ,, what a loss for the Steel guitar World my prayers go out to Ms. BUNNY and their family may he rest in Peace..MAY """GOD BLESS""" this family in this time of need..... Tommy Young
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
David Martin

Post by David Martin »

Just got the news of Herby's passing. It is such a shock --- I am stunned. Herby was such a friend to every player he met. I've known Herby for about 25 years and we spent many an hour talking Steel.
Herby always came to our local Steel jams regardless of how meager they were at times. It was nice to have a Steel Guitar legend living so close.
Herby was a humble person with a lot of class.
Rest in peace, my friend.
My condolences to his family.
Bill Erchul

Post by Bill Erchul »

Very sad news indeed. I always enjoyed seeing and hearing Herby play in Knoxville and St. Louis and fondly remember the few times we spoke. I think his aggressive C6th playing was perfectly matched by his emotional E9th style. He was a true master of the pedal steel who will be sadly missed.

Working at home today, I listened to quite a few of Herby's recordings. Among the many songs, "Ten Thousand Years," "Old Cape Cod," "Little Rock Getaway,"and "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" stood out as favorites. Of course I had heard Herby play them all live before but today's experience bought to light his true talent and brilliance. Herby's instructional materials are also top notch and highly recommended.

My deepest condolences to the Wallace family. The pedal steel community has lost a true gentleman and an exceptional talent.
Chet Wilcox

Post by Chet Wilcox »

Herby,Was such a great Player and teacher,We have lost a lot of the great pioneer playes in the last few years,and we all need to help each other as much as we can, Life is so short, Herby taught me a lot. I will miss him as well as all the others, Ralph Moony, Tom Brumley, Jimmy Crawford,John Hughy, and so many more.I wll Pray for Herby and his family.He was one of the very Best, Chet
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

This is too sad. I got to meet Herby when he first came to St Louis International show. Many will remember his dedicating his new album to Speedy West and his stories of his Mom and Dad driving him from Tennessee to take lessons from Speedy.

I would not take for the experience of him coming to my room in St Louis to give me a one hour lesson. After two hours he was still going strong. So glad I still have it on tape.

I could go on and on about fond memories of Herbie. Herbie might come across as quiet and bashful, but to those that know him quite well know he will set up and talk all night long if he has someone to talk to. That 300 mile drive I had from Hot Springs to Texas was tough when He and I were the last of the Steel Show crowd to leave IHOP at 3:30 in the morning.

Herby you will always be remembered as one of the "Great Ones".

Bunny,God Bless and comfort and you family in your sorrow.
Last edited by Louie Hallford on 6 Apr 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael McGee

Post by Michael McGee »

May the Lord welcome another of the greats into His heavenly band. My prayers go out to Herby's family.
J J Harmon

Post by J J Harmon »

He is also a Masonic Brother and a Shrine Noble. I remember the first time I saw him play. It was in Saluda and at his prime. Over the last 10 years we have talked a bit and he is a legend.
Michael Hicks

Post by Michael Hicks »

My prayers go out to the family. Herby was a great guy and will be sadly missed.
Ken Newman

Rip Herby Wallace Junior

Post by Ken Newman »

another example of a good person being a great person. herby and his faith, herby and his music,, will be drawn on by folks forever. for that, herby will never be alone. RIP,kenny newman and family.
Bernie Gonyea

Herby's Now With The all Star Band Playing For Our Savior

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:( :eek:

A very sad bit of news for our Steel Guitar community. Our condolences to bunny and Herby's family. Last time I visited with Herby was at a steel guitar Show in Norwalk, Conn. back in Nov. of 2008. A fine and loved individual, indeed.God bless you, Herby and your loved ones..Amen..Bernie
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Lonnie Portwood

Post by Lonnie Portwood »

It brings me to tears hearing this sad news! Herby, such a sweet and gentle man, not forward, but would sit and talk with anyone who took the time. I just can't get my mind around this.

No one has contributed more, worked harder,invested more of their soul into music, and steel guitar in particular, than Herby! I WILL MISS YOU, AND THE WHOLE WORLD WILL MISS YOU, BUT NEVER FORGET YOU.

REST IN PEACE, MY BROTHER. Lonnie
Music is probably the most "spiritual of mankinds emotions, and when practised with a pure heart, can lead one into the presence of God, who invented it. Lonnie Portwood
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Rest in peace Herby, my condolences to the family.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Lynn Fargo

Post by Lynn Fargo »

I never had the pleasure of meeting Herby. I only knew his name, his music, and that he was a steel guitar legend who found the time to post on this Forum. I had hoped to meet him someday at Scotty's.
Now he will be playing for our Lord on his "instrument of 10 strings." My deepest sympathies to his friends and family.
Sho-Bud Pro II Custom, GFI Ultra SD-10, Fender Pro Amp, Fender Mustang II Amp, Morrell 8-string lap, Epiphone 6-string lap, Galveston reso, etc.