Popular Dance Band in Lubbock Area???

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Sonny Jenkins

Popular Dance Band in Lubbock Area???

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Don't know if this picture will post,,Tommy Hancock was a very popular ban in the Lubbock area when I was growing up,,anyone KNOW who the steel player might be???

baxter vaughan

Post by baxter vaughan »

that looks like a very young bob stufflebeam.
Wally Moyers

Post by Wally Moyers »

That is Bob Stuffelbeme, Bob was a great player and built my first steel and my first steel gig was with Tommy. I played with him at the Cotton Club here in Lubbock for 2 years starting in1969 when I was 17 years old . My Dad played with him for 10 years before I did. It was a great experience for me musically, Tommy is a great band leader.
Tracy Sheehan

Re:

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

I played with the Horton Bros at the Glassarama in Lubbock in 1959 which i believe Tommy owned.Any one remember the Horton Bros? They went on to Ca.after a couple of years playing in Odessa and played there until they retired from music,or rather music died out. We alternated with Tommy. We went to Odessa from there.
Brings back memories for sure. Tracy
Tracy Sheehan

Re:

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

Tracy Sheehan wrote:I played with the Horton Bros at the Glassarama in Lubbock in 1959 which i believe Tommy owned.Any one remember the Horton Bros? They went on to Ca.after a couple of years playing in Odessa and played there until they retired from music,or rather music died out. We alternated with Tommy. We went to Odessa from there.
Brings back memories for sure. Tracy
BTW. When i first started at the Glassarama i had not yet met Tommy or his band. A band came in one night and i thought it was Tommys band as the tall steel player kept looking at me. It turned out it was Bob White, Hank Thompsons steel player. I got back on fiddle and and Bob set it. He also showed we some neat stuff. He was a heck of a C6th player the tuning i was playing or rather trying to.lol
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

I played a couple of dates with Bob S along with Big Wally Moyers in Amarillo in the 50's.Tommy Hancock always had a tremendous band, especially when the Moyers boys were there. If my memory serves me correctly, didn't Tommy marry a lady by the name of Charlene Condray. Bobby Rountrees and I were just discussing this recently.

phred
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Hey guys,,thanks for that info!

Wally,,in '69 when you were 17, I celebrated my 30th at the Village Inn on Brownfield hwy, playing guitar for Bob McCree(?),,,we had a steel player from Leveland I think, named Howard Isaacs,,,is he still around that area? (I didn't know enough about steel at the time to know whether he was good, bad, or otherwise???)

Phred,,I'm not sure who Hancock married, but in the early '50s, some of us kids who went on to make some music around Lubbock (Jack Neal, Don Guess, Larry Welborn, Jerry Allison etc,,,)hung around Pioneer Park on 7th st. Tommy lived across the street and we used to hear some knock down, drag outs coming from over that way,,,not sure who or what it was, but it sure didn't sound like marital bliss,,,LOL
Wally Moyers

Post by Wally Moyers »

Sonny Jenkins wrote:Hey guys,,thanks for that info!

Wally,,in '69 when you were 17, I celebrated my 30th at the Village Inn on Brownfield hwy, playing guitar for Bob McCree(?),,,we had a steel player from Leveland I think, named Howard Isaacs,,,is he still around that area? (I didn't know enough about steel at the time to know whether he was good, bad, or otherwise???)

Phred,,I'm not sure who Hancock married, but in the early '50s, some of us kids who went on to make some music around Lubbock (Jack Neal, Don Guess, Larry Welborn, Jerry Allison etc,,,)hung around Pioneer Park on 7th st. Tommy lived across the street and we used to hear some knock down, drag outs coming from over that way,,,not sure who or what it was, but it sure didn't sound like marital bliss,,,LOL
Sonny,

When I played with Tommy, Charlene Condray Hancock (great singer) was his wife and still is. I think he had a few trials in that area before Charlene. Howard Isaacs was a good player even though I don't think he ever went to pedals. Jack Neal is still around, Larry Welborn is living in Oklahoma... My dad (Wally Moyers Sr.) played with all those guys..... Tracy, I remember my dad talking about the Glassarama good times.. Fred Please tell Bobby I said hello...
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Wally, great to hear from you. WOW what old memories. I'll surely tell 'Trees' howdy. He comes to some of the WTSGA meets in Merkel, of which I haven't seen your carcass down there. One coming up in April. Trees is living in San Angelo just below me and has started playing a Universal tuning I believe. He still sings and is one of the best bass men around for sure. Good to hear from you. Down my way, call, stop in and we'll burn some meat.
I've said it many times your POP was one of the finest gentlemen I've ever met. I remember him as a tremendous steeler.

phred
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

I think Howard was playing a black Emmons in '69. I knew Larry was in Oklahoma but haven't talked to him in MANY years,,,,he has a lot of family up there. In the late 50s me, Larry and Bill Pickering went to OK and spent time with Larry's relatives,,,lots of fun!!!! Jack and Don were both good piano players,,,(Don could play anything!!!! he could slap some doghouse bass!!!,, even some non-pedal steel!!) Of course Don Guess died several years ago,,,as did Niki Sullivan.
Mark Moseley

tommy Hancock

Post by Mark Moseley »

I have lost count of the times we used to go out to the Cotton Club and see Tommy Hancock. It must have been dad Moyer who we heard as this was back in the late 1960's. Tommy was a great showman and I hate to say it but he let about 50 of us on the stage one night to sing Fraulien. I know it must have been terrible!
Used to spend some time over at Stufflebemes house on Sunday afternoon and he had some interesting guests from time to time. He provided the winding for the old dual Professional I try to play. thanks for the picture of the band!
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Tommy is elderly now but still goes out dancing several nights a week here in Austin. He and Charlene are still married.

Tommy and Charlene had quite a few kids, many involved in music with their parents over the years. Charlene and daughters Conni and Traci Lamar have a band called the Tejana Dames that play around Austin from time to time. Traci is having some health problems and the city is responding with care and contributions.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?