Red Rajah/Black Phoenix?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

James Hartman

Red Rajah/Black Phoenix?

Post by James Hartman »

Anyone know if the Red Rajah/Black Phoenix bars are still available? The Brattain Guitar Products site doesn't seem to be up anymore.

If not, is anyone else making this type bar? I like my Black Phoenix.
Michael Nemick

Post by Michael Nemick »

For a Red Rajah you can try Chuck Brattain. I have one on the way. His e-mail is chuckguitar@msn.com or call (972) 286-6922. Who made the Black Phoenix?
"I shall pass through this world but once, any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not deter or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again" Stephen Grellet
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

Chuck would be the guy to contact about the powder-coated Black Phoenix bar.
Michael Nemick

Post by Michael Nemick »

Thanks Steve.
"I shall pass through this world but once, any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not deter or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again" Stephen Grellet
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

Thanks, guys. Good to learn he's still in business; evidently, he just let the website lapse.

I forget the difference between the Red and Black bars - vaguely recall different coating material, one perhaps a harder surface...?
Michael Nemick

Post by Michael Nemick »

I don't think he is making them I believe he is just selling what he has left.
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

Michael Nemick wrote:I don't think he is making them I believe he is just selling what he has left.
Ah, too bad. Guess I should act quickly if I want another one.

What's the current price? Got mine years ago, can't remember at all what I paid for it.
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

James, I had them both at the same time a few years back-- I believe the BP had the "harder" coating. I remember the RR would shed red powder-- slowly, over time & in small amounts-- onto the fretboard. (Part of that I'm sure was my heavy left hand. Chuck offered re-coating for a small fee, as I recall.)

Both bars were about the best as far as being able to maintain your grip.
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

Stephan Miller wrote:James, I had them both at the same time a few years back-- I believe the BP had the "harder" coating. I remember the RR would shed red powder-- slowly, over time & in small amounts-- onto the fretboard. (Part of that I'm sure was my heavy left hand. Chuck offered re-coating for a small fee, as I recall.)

Both bars were about the best as far as being able to maintain your grip.
That would make sense as to my choice of the Black Phoenix. I do like the feel. I think the biggest plus for me is the weight seems just right for the size. I was going to try one of the Paloma stoneware bars until I learned they're quite light in weight. The BP is 5.3 oz. @ 3.0" x 0.765"
Michael Nemick

Post by Michael Nemick »

I was given a Paloma stone and gave it away to someone else just for that reason. Too damn light. Now this Red Rajah is a monster. 7/8" x 3-1/4" and weighs in at 8.3 ounces. Hell you don't need a heavy hand with this. I am used to my E.G. Smith I use for my Reso and Ohau's is a mere 5.0 ounces and you don't need a very heavy hand even with it. :lol: I tell you this if you use it first it's like swinging a bat with weights on it before you're up. Then I pick up the Smith and holy crap it feels like a Paloma.
Morgan Scoggins

Post by Morgan Scoggins »

I bought a RR bar a few years ago and it was the best bar for me. I have trouble gripping the highly polished steel bars. The powder coating wore off the bar pretty fast, but I could use it by kind of favoring the one side with more coating.
I wanted to get another RR and sent an email to Chuck but never got a reply.
If anyone out there knows where I can get a powder coated bar or any bar that is easy to grip, i would appreciate a "heads up"
"Shoot low boys, the're ridin' Shetlands"
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

Morgan Scoggins wrote: If anyone out there knows where I can get a powder coated bar or any bar that is easy to grip, i would appreciate a "heads up"
Tribotone bars-- a bit pricey, but worth it. Super durable, and very easy to grip...
Michael Nemick

Post by Michael Nemick »

Morgan Scoggins wrote:I bought a RR bar a few years ago and it was the best bar for me. I have trouble gripping the highly polished steel bars. The powder coating wore off the bar pretty fast, but I could use it by kind of favoring the one side with more coating.
I wanted to get another RR and sent an email to Chuck but never got a reply.
If anyone out there knows where I can get a powder coated bar or any bar that is easy to grip, i would appreciate a "heads up"
If you would like a Red Rajah I will sell you one of mine for $30.00 including shipping. It is mint. 7/8 x 3 1/4.
Morgan Scoggins

Thanks Michael,
PM sent
C. Brattain

Post by C. Brattain »

If I found away to remake the Red Rajah steel guitar would any one be interested, Chuck
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

C. Brattain wrote:If I found away to remake the Red Rajah steel guitar would any one be interested, Chuck
Just the Red Rajah? No Black P?

As you know, per our email exchange, I'm interested in the Black Phoenix. My understanding is the Red Rajah has a softer coating, correct?
C. Brattain

Post by C. Brattain »

Sure, If I do the Red Rajah I can do the Black Phoenix also, your choice, Chuck
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

C. Brattain wrote:Sure, If I do the Red Rajah I can do the Black Phoenix also, your choice, Chuck

Cool. I hope there's sufficient interest. :)
Michael Nemick

Post by Michael Nemick »

Hey Chuck. :lol:
Morgan Scoggins

Just to update everyone about the RR tone bar.I just received one today that Mike was kind enough to sell me. I gave it a good 2 hour workout on my 8 string nonpedal steel. I couldn't have been more pleased. The Bar is everything I had hoped for, nice and smooth on the strings but sticky to the grip.The first bar I bought a few years ago had some serious issues with the powder coating coming off. This bar had none. I guess whatever problems they had have been solved.