Fessenden evaluation.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Lacey

Fessenden evaluation.

Post by John Lacey »

For the last month, I've had the pleasure of adjusting and setting up Bob Blair's D10 black Fessenden that formerly belonged to Jim Cohen (is this the one with the "Acceptable tone?"). First thing that I noted was the solid-as-a-brick workmanship of the guitar. Fit and finish were perfect and the guitar has a big feel about it, sitting fairly high up. On top, everything looks very professional and I'm especially drawn to the tuner keys, Schaller I believe which are my personal faves. No slack on these puppies and just the right ratio. This guitar came with Lawrence 710's. Underneath, solidity again. Bellcranks have 5 slots in them for leverage choices and the changer is triple raise/lower. The bellcranks have a nice retaining clip of metal permanently built on them eliminating the need for an anchoring device, ie E clip or rubber band to retain the hooked rods in place, so changes are easy, simply loosen the nylon nuts at the changer and slip the rod to the next desired slot. Unfortunately, the wrong nut driver size was used on the nuts which resulted in some disfigurement of some of the nuts, but was cured by a proper size wrench (GeorgeL) and some new replacements. I found some of the nuts hard to crank (5th. and 10th. strings especially) and generally were not quite as flexible as the old Legrande I owned. That's the only sore spot mechanically that bothered me. The knees had nice solid adjustable stops on them and a cute little half-sized vertical for the C6th. neck. One positional comment that I'd make, the cluster of 3 C6th. knee levers were too far to the right for my comfort, my privates were a little squished by trying to reach over for the far LCR even when adjusted accordingly. It's nice to see individual set screw adjusters for knee lever angle, that sure helps for easy custom fitting. From the standpoint of a push/pull guy, I would adjust the pedals with some more travel, but this ain't my horn. The action is quick and light, like most all-pulls. I really miss the solid neck bank switch like the Emmons. This has just a small micro switch located between the necks, easy to miss with either hand. These guitars will never sell themselves on being lightweight. This D10 with 8X9 probably weighs in at close to 80 lbs in the case, but if solidity and good craftsmanship is your criterion, weight is secondary. I A/B'd the guitar by playing along to a present client's tracks trying the Fessy and the Emmons using a tube preamp on both then a Nashville 400. The Fessy stands up very close in terms of singing highs, punchy lows etc. There is a difference in tone, noteably the sucked-in midrange of the Emmons that's different, but all in all, very acceptable Image. Also, the pedal spacing was a little wider than I was used to, but after a month, I was feeling very comfortable about diving blind for a pedal. I actually like the slightly wider spacing for accuracy. The knee levers can feel very smooth and positive and all pedals and knees have a positive metallic "click" to the end of their travel. Heaven to a P/P owner. All in all, one of the best new guitars I've had the pleasure of working on. Jerry is to be commended on a fine guitar and I'll be looking forward to seeing how well Jerry's business will do with young steelers like Robert Randolph driving it into our new millenium. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Lacey on 11 May 2002 at 08:18 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Lacey on 11 May 2002 at 08:19 AM.]</p></FONT>
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I agree with everything you said about sound and playability, Jerry builds a fine guitar. This guitar is about the same weight as my other D10's, except for my Sho Bud. I used mine on a demo session last week and the sound was great. I really haven't found anything I don't like about it.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Darvin Willhoite on 11 May 2002 at 08:35 AM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

John,
As we've discussed, I feel the same way. My S-12 with 8x8 is not much lighter than the D-10, but I can certainly live with that. The sound and workmanship are excellent. Image

I think Jerry shoots for a ZB sound and that's music to any push-pull player's ears -- kind of a push-pull sound with its own unique midrange sound. It's not identical to a push-pull tone, but it's as close as I've found. My personal opinion is that Jerry makes the best sounding 12-string that's made today. BAR NONE. (his 10's sound great too, but I've never owned one of Jerry's)

There are a few mechanical issues that Jerry is working on which may only really be a problem on 12+ string guitars, but detuning on the 6th string has been the only real problem I've run into. I'd certainly like to see that one resolved and I know Jerry is on it like an old hound dog. He's responsive to his players, a great guy to talk to and is as knowledgeable as anyone in the business.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I'd like it back now, please.

------------------
The "Master of Acceptable Tone"
www.jimcohen.com

John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

OK, Jim. I'll slip it in the mail today before Bob picks it up. Only $2400!
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

No chance, Jimbeaux!

Although I've been enjoying my EMCI the last few weeks, I've been missing the Fessy big time.

Given my general and longstanding cowardice about messing with the bottom of any psg, it's a real comfort to have John Lacey a few hours down the road.

Now, if I could just get these kids to bed, I could sit down and play the old gal again.....
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

"Now, if I could just get these kids to bed, I could sit down and play the old gal again....."

Bob - Are we talking steel guitar here or...?

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Afraid I was just talking about the Fessy!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Blair on 13 May 2002 at 08:42 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

SOLD!-----------------one day!
Bobbe Seymour <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 13 May 2002 at 01:24 PM.]</p></FONT>
Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

C'mon guys! I'm trying to be patient while waiting for mine!
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Fessiefoofer is wonderful, Can sound great when the mod is done on it to! Wow!
This last one had Geo. L 10-1 pickups,but it would even sound good with Multi-Kord pickups!

Maximus Modular Modifier (MMM)

What? You never heard of 3-M befor?
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Okay, I'll bite. What mod are you talking about Bobbe? Image
John Lazarus

Post by John Lazarus »

That sounds like my old Fessenden that I ordered new from Bobbe Seymour a few years ago on Bobbe's recommendation. It was a great sounding guitar with amazing lows and sustain. Jim Cohen bought it from me a couple of years back.
In a funny twist, Bobbe demo'ed his EMCI at his shop and it sounded great. He highly recommended the EMCI guitar. Based on this, I bought Bruce Bouton's EMCI when it came on the market on the Forum. I had the opportunity to A-B both guitars as well as a '67 p/p and a couple of LeGrandes. It was a close call between the Fessy and the EMCI, but the EMCI was the sound I was looking for.If it weren't for Bobbe I would never have known how good either one of these guitars is.
If I were going to order a new guitar, it would be a Fessenden, but the EMCI is still my choice overall.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

It's true, John; it is your old guitar. And I'm sorry I sold it!
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Seriously, the Fessenden needs no tone fix or mod. It is just fine the way it's made.
I'm not sure it could be improved, hard to improve perfection.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 13 May 2002 at 03:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Bobbe, you mean it comes with 'acceptable tone' built in?? That explains a lot of things...
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Gee, John and Jim, you guys are just trying to make me feel bad about having this guitar aren't you!.....Well, it won't work - I love it and plan on keeping it for a long long time. If it makes you feel any better, it has found itself a good caring home.

John, I have a lovely EMCI SD-10 as well, and they are great sounding guitars for sure. I bought it new from Al BRisco somehwere around 1990. I often regretted going for the SD-10 instead of a D-10, but at the time I had a D-10 and rarely touched the C6 neck. Probably if I had sprung for a D-10 EMCI at the time I would not have bought another guitar when I did, because the EMCI is a whole lot of guitar. Mine is in perfect shape, because I got fed up with the bars a short couple of months after I bought it, and so it has had an easy life.

I do like the lows on the Fessenden though - that's one of the things that I noticed right away last night when I plugged it in after a month of playing the EMCI. And generally I am a little happier with the sound I get from the Fessy. (As well I should be - the "acceptability" of the tone that it is capable of producing is a matter of public record!)
jim milewski

Post by jim milewski »

wait till you see and hear jerry's new guitar, done in camoflauge formica, 12 string..called the F12 assault guitar with killer tone