My New Rickenbacher Model 59

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Eric Dunst

My New Rickenbacher Model 59

Post by Eric Dunst »

Hi.

I just thought I'd share some photos and info on my most recent purchase, a pre-war Rickenbacher Model 59. With much thanks to Rick Aiello, I was able to determine that this was indeed a model 59 and not a post-war NS.

The guitar itself is in relatively good shape, aside from the tuner buttons. At first I was a bit worried that it might need re-wiring. But after cleaning it up a bit, and spraying the pots (or as close as I could get) with contact cleaner/lubricant, they work pretty well. The tone pot is still a little scratchy, but nothing I can't live with. And the volume is working again, quietly (it was non-functioning when I bought it), though interestingly, when it reaches full off, there's still some room so that it goes back to full on. I'm sure it's a bad pot, but it kind of acts like a stutter switch. And as far as I can tell, the pickup sounds great. very strong.

In the next day or so I'm bringing it in to a shop I know to get a reading on the pickup and discuss replacing the crumbling buttons. Again, Rick was kind enough to provide some very helpful information re: resistance. Any suggestions for tuner replacements (color), string gauges (C6), etc... are most welcome. I also think that the nut is backwards. Any suggestions as how to reverse it so that it's correct would be appreciated.

so without any further adieu - the photos. these are from the seller, before I cleaned her up.
John Halpern

Post by John Halpern »

Hey Eric,
I just got one like that a few weeks ago (it's my first). The knobs on mine are black but they look like plastic replacements. The nut and bridge are black and looks like the original bakelite. The screws at your pickup are another difference. The location further from the bridge in specific. On either side I've got a silver colored adjustment knob. It raises and lowers the pickup (visible under the horseshoe). I bought strings right here from the forum shop. John Pearse Hawaiian Lap Steel set #7380 6 string
C6th tuning. The gauges are:
E 1st .015
C 2nd .017
A 3rd .020
G 4th .024
E 5th .030 W
C 6th .034 W

Hope this helps.
John
Steve Wilson

Post by Steve Wilson »

Hi Eric,
Nice find! In regards to the tuner buttons...that will be easy. Stew Mac has the buttons and there are several sets of instructions floating around regarding getting the old ones off along with a couple different schools of thought about getting the new ones on. Besides the nut being on backwards, I think both the nut and saddle are perhaps non-original. Here is a picture I found of some original black Bakelite ones. Might have to do a bit of searching to find original replacement parts for these. Good luck!

I do not believe the Model 59 ever had an adjustable pickup, but the later NS Style all did.
Steve Wilson

Post by Steve Wilson »

Upon a little more searching I did find some photos of Model 59's showing a white bridge and nut. In any case the nut is definitely backwards. It is easy to mistake the Model 59 and the NS model. The non-adjustable 1.5" pickup has been the main thing I look for in the Model 59.
Eric Dunst

Post by Eric Dunst »

Hey. Thanks for the input. I'm considering using the cream colored buttons to give it a more vintage appearance, though I know that there are ways to "age" white ones. As far as the pickup goes... the one thing I knew to look for was the 1.5". I even brought a tape measure with me. Also, the grey-burst pre-war 59s have serial numbers that begin with "E" followed by 4 numbers. I found a good source for comparisons here: http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... ue&itype=4
so does anyone know how to turn the nut around so that it's facing the right way? I haven't tried yet, but usually don't like to mess with things too much, unless it's completely obvious.
Steve Wilson

Post by Steve Wilson »

Good info Rick! I wonder if the two knobs on one side is a later (42-43?)feature of the Model 59? I have seen some earlier ones with only one knob, then two knobs on opposite sides, and also ones like Eric's.
I wonder if at one time someone may have set this one up as a lefty?
Last edited by Steve Wilson on 26 Mar 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Dunst

Post by Eric Dunst »

As I said above, I got some great help and info from Rick Aiello. Here is a link to his pre-war Ricky's page in his "museum." the last photo is almost identical.
http://www.horseshoemagnets.com/_sgg/m6m1_1.htm
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Yes, please flip that nut ... :lol:

There were two bridges and two nuts used ... Chromed brass nuts and two styles of chromed brass and bakelite bridges ...Depending on what was available.

The chromed brass nuts ... And the chromed brass bridges ( the smaller ones) ... We're used on early Silvers ...

The larger chromed brass bridge can be seen on my prewar D14 ... A very rare piece.

The smaller bakelite bridges and nuts ... Whether black or white ... Are more common on the later Silver Hawaiians, 59s and the NSs .... IE ... Six stringers.

The larger bridges ... One of which I just replicated for my little SW6 ( a late 50's piece) ... We're originally used on 7s and 8s ... Prewar 10 stringers used a wood version of this larger style of bridge.

But surplus ones were used on various 50's steels ... Whether 6 or 8 ... IE ... The Model G Deluxe.

Yours is a classic 59 ... All original ... No doubt :)

You can see these assorted bridges and nuts on my website ... Museum section.

Enjoy ...
Steve Wilson

Post by Steve Wilson »

Rick is the man and his site is always 100% correct.

However in rickresource.com link I feel many of the ones listed as Model 59s are really NS models. I do not believe any of the 59's ever had adjustable pickups, and many of the ones listed in the database as 59's do. Congrats again on your great 59 find!
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Lollar and I got thrown off that site ... :lol:
Eric Dunst

Post by Eric Dunst »

Lollar and I got thrown off that site
it's an outrage! :wink:

as for the database... yeah, I agree, a bunch of misidentified NS's for 59's. still it's a good resource for comparisons, particularly if you have an idea of what you're looking for.
so how exactly does that nut get turned around? does it just lift up?
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Yes ... Just loosen the strings and move them aside ... Lift it out and flip it.

It shouldn't be glued down ...