Doug Aman removed from Life Support Today

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Harvey Lamb

Doug Aman removed from Life Support Today

Post by Harvey Lamb »

To all forum members, and those who knew Doug Aman. Please say a prayer for him and his family as he will be removed from life support Today the 24th March 2012 after major surgery, and going into cardiac arrest on Sunday March 18th.2012.

This is a great loss for me, and his many friends here in Calgary , Alberta, Canada, and in the United States.

Harvey Lamb

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Jim R. Harrison

Post by Jim R. Harrison »

WOW!! I can't believe this. Doug & I exchanged emails just prior to my attending the TSGA Jam. He had originally been scheduled for heart vascular surgery in Feb. but it got moved to April 3rd. He told me that he was a ticking "time bomb." I'm so very sorry to get this news. Doug was a good friend and an even better steel player! God Bless him & his family. Kindest regards, Jim Harrison

Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Very sad news. Doug was a wonderful guy, and played beautifully. I always looked forward to spending time with him at Jeff's show. My thoughts are with his family - thanks for sharing him with us.
Harvey Lamb

RE; Doug Aman

Post by Harvey Lamb »

Hi Everyone,

I just received a call from Dougs sister, and she told me Doug passed away at 2:15 PM today March 24th

There is going to be some great Pickin in Heaven.

Harvey Lamb

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

My condolences to his family and friends.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Jeff Bradshaw

Post by Jeff Bradshaw »

This is very sad news for me...Doug has always been a good friend to me...I am going to miss him greatly. ..jeff
Bob Taillefer

Post by Bob Taillefer »

Very sorry to hear this sad news.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Bob
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I didn't know Doug, but it hurts whenever we lose a steel player. Condolences to his friends and family.
Dennis Manuel

Post by Dennis Manuel »

I am shocked. Met Doug a couple of times, once to trade guitars, the other to visit and play steel. Doug was an instant friend. Also swapped emails a no. of times with him.

Doug really liked Wesley Dennis and he searched all over so he get me a copy of Wesley's Cd with the song Borrowed Angel on it. Refused to take anything for it, just the kind of gentleman he was. Doug was a wonderful individual and a great steel player. Love yeah like a brother.

Wanda and I send our condolences and may God bless.
Mike Bourque

Sad news

Post by Mike Bourque »

I'm very thankful that I got to have lunch with Doug and Harvey two weeks ago , Doug has been very helpful to me since I started playing steel and will miss him.
My prayers and thoughts to the family
God Bless
Emmons Wraparounds and cut tails, Zum D10, Blantons , Fulawkas , Franklin D10, Sho Bud Permanents and Fingertips,Jacksons and Telecasters
DeWitt Scott

Doug Aman

Post by DeWitt Scott »

I'm sorry to hear of Doug's passing. One time when Doug was in St. Louis and had an Emmons steel guitar ordered from me and time had ran out...The guitar was in St. Louis but was at the frieght line and they were closed and Doug was leaving for Canada early the next day. We went to the freight line about 10:00 at night and talked the guard to let us get into the trailer and find the guitar. It took us about 30 minutes of climbing over other boxes until we did find it. Doug was very appreciative for that. My condolences go out to his family. Scotty - St. Louis, MO
Chuck Lawson

Re Doug

Post by Chuck Lawson »

I am sorry to hear of Dougs Passing.Doug played in My band in Lethbridge.We were the first band Doug played with when he was just learning. He played a fender 400 at that time. He played with us for about two years.He then left and moved to Calgary. I lost track of him for about ten years, and then heard him play .His playing was fantastic. The last few years we kept in touch all the time. I will miss him dearly. Rest in peace Doug.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Chuck I didn't know Doug was from Lethbridge - my old home town also. When did he move to Calgary? I was still in town when your brother Wayne got his first steel - and MSA from "Mainly Music", but I moved east shortly afterwards.
Chuck Lawson

Re Doug

Post by Chuck Lawson »

Bob.
Doug was from Med Hat . He came to Lethbridge about 1968.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

This is very sad. I met Doug at Jeff's show in '08 and we corresponded since then. He had made a generous offer to get me out to Alberta for the '10 show through an airline connection he had, but gigs prevented me from doing it. I always appreciated that gesture. My condolences to his family.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Shawn Canning

Post by Shawn Canning »

Yeah, this is crummy. Doug was much kinder than he every needed to be to me. He was very generous with his time, knowledge and good will. He frequently asked about my young family and reminded me to be a good father to my son. It's been a year or so since I saw him, I kept meaning to drop him a line. I can't tell you how significant it was to have a guy that had been around a while willing to share his knowledge and enthusiasm for the steel. If anyone knows where I can send my condolences, I'd very much appreciate it.
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

I got to know Doug in the 80's when I used to be on the road and centered in Vancouver. I would call him up and meet for lunch and talk steel. Later when I moved into the Calgary area, he would work on my steels and we would meet and discuss all steel-related info. He was always generous with his time and knowledge and available at a moments notice if you had a problem with gear. This has been a tough time for me as I thought he would survive his operation but it was not to be. RIP Doug, one of the greats.
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Wow I can not belive it - first Hank Rogers and now Doug.

RIP my friend

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP