Is Perfect Pitch Necessary Really Necessary?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brian Henry

Is Perfect Pitch Necessary Really Necessary?

Post by Brian Henry »

Surpisingly NO! according to Itshak Perlman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3xEHigWShM
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

He suggests that violinists practice slowly and repeatedly play passages (a measure or two at a time) to improve their "accuracy."

Isn't "accuracy" really another way to say intonation. That sounds to me like he is emphasizing playing in tune.

I believe he is saying that one doesn't have to be superhuman/perfect in their playing. But he is certainly NOT saying that it's okay to be sloppy and careless regarding intonation.
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Hi Paul, I agree with you - but who said anything about "sloppy or careless?"
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

"Perfect pitch" is merely the ability to identify a note or chord with no frame of reference. It has nothing to do with "playing in tune", or being able to sing on key. :|

With any instrument of variable pitch, you have to have a good "ear" to play in-tune, and also to blend well with other instruments. Needless to say, if the instrument has provisions for tuning, you'll probably also need a good ear to do that. :wink:
Alfred Ewell

Post by Alfred Ewell »

A tuner can get the open strings right, but when you play a steel or a fiddle, you have to put the bar or your finger in the right spot to get that note or chord right. Mandolin and guitar (usually) have frets that lock in a note (although it's just intonation), but without frets - after muscle memory to hit the spot - you have to hear whether a quick adjustment is called for to get the note close enough where most people would agree it's correct. If someone in the audience has perfect pitch, then you need it. Otherwise, maybe not so much.
Marc Friedland

Post by Marc Friedland »

I would think it would come in real handy for those hoping to win a Cy Young Award.

-- Marc
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Marc Friedland wrote:I would think it would come in real handy for those hoping to win a Cy Young Award.

-- Marc
Or someone whose career is in sales! :roll:
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I've heard of people that have perfect pitch they say it is a real pain in the rear when playing with groups and or singers. He says, hardley any instrument or vocalist is in tune perfect so it actually drives him nuts trying to play. This guy I know is not a country music player but a classical violinist. He says he just has to sorta block everything out or it will drive him crazy. He says he can hear a one cent change in pitch. Haven't seem him in about 10 years so maybe he did go nuts and just quit.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

When Itshak Perlman mentions "perfect pitch" I don't think he is talking about the ability to identify a pitch without having a frame of reference, which is the perhaps the more precise definition of the term/phrase.

In the context of the question he was answering, and his overall comments, I believe he is saying you don't have to demand of yourself perfection (of intonation) at all times. But the practice routine he describes makes it clear he considers intonation highly important.

As a side note, the video of Gary Carter is getting extremely high praise, including by me. I can't help but note that his intonation (bar control) is extremely accurate. Is there a correlation between good intonation and critical acclaim?

People like music played with good intonation, even if they can't tell you why it is that they like the music.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

"Is there a correlation between good intonation and critical acclaim?"

Generally, no, critical acclaim nowadays being what it is. The vast majority of listeners aren't looking for technical perfection, they're looking for entertainment or something they can relate to, easily. Also, the job of the "critic" in pop music has gone from judging based on talent to judging based on mass appeal or popularity. Instrumental music (and with it, instrumental talent) has been largely pushed aside, and everything these days revolves around a vocalist/personality, with image (and not musical or vocal talent) being the most essential ingredient.

In short, pop music today is centered around the "four B's", those being boobs, bellies, butts and biceps. Being able to really sing or play an instrument is sorta secondary, in the scheme of things.

Regardless of your talent, if you're old, fat, and grey-haired, it seems nobody but A.A.R.P. wants you. :cry:
Bill Howard

So True

Post by Bill Howard »

donny your are dead on it with this quote of yours

Regardless of your talent, if you're old, fat, and grey-haired, it seems nobody but A.A.R.P. wants you.

I'm all the above Old fat grey it matters not about your talent or skills. When i was 46 I applied for a service writer job. I'm certified in every area of auto repair including being a certified automatic transmission tech and have even taught transmissions in a tech school. I go back into this buick dealer a cpl weeks later for parts,Here stands the kid that got the Job... He was 20 or 21 he didn't know which end of the car was front without a computer...But guess what He was working I wasn't:)