Probably a dumb question

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lonnie Brown

Probably a dumb question

Post by Lonnie Brown »

Is it a major undertaking to change the 1st string from 1/2 step to whole step on the LKR
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Shouldn't be. If you can't get the tuning nut (or whatever tunes your pedals) to raise to G#, then lengthen the amount of travel on the knee lever until it does.

EDIT: Edited to add that if you have a multiple raise (like a double or triple raise) changer, and bell cranks with multiple holes (you never said what brand and model guitar you have) you may be able to change the leverages to achieve the whole tone raise without increasing the knee lever throw.
Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 9 Mar 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Tracy Sheehan

Re:

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

Lonnie,not a dumb question. The trick is you have to be smarter than the guitar.

Only joking.
Lonnie Brown

Post by Lonnie Brown »

Richard, I have Sho-Bud LDG... Tracy, I never did think I was smart, if I was I would have tried to play the harmomica....LOL...
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

It can be done, but in my opinion it's a bad idea.

Raising the 1st string a whole step gives you a lick. Admittedly it's a nice one, but it's one that can more or less be approximated by using the C pedal and moving the bar up 2 frets. Raising the 1st (and 7th) stings a half step increases the harmonic vocabulary of the guitar.

And BTW, I firmly believe that the change belongs on the vertical if you have one. It doesn't matter which of the other changes goes on what knee, but in my opinion, that one should go on the vertical, and the B to Bb that is often found on the vertical, should go on one of the other levers.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I just removed my 1st string raise to G as I also have a lever that raises 1 to G#. I found I have no trouble only pushing the F# to G# lever halfway, even quickly. I had removed the 7th raise to G sometime ago when I put the split on the 6th string lower knee lever to give me the G on string 6 (although I really did like the F# to G raise). Now, if I had room for another knee lever, I would put the F# to G changes back on. I can also just pull the first string with a finger behind the bar to raise it to G. I put the 5th lower to Bb on the lever instead and if I don't like it a lot, I will put the F# to G's back on the lever.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

No dumb questions here. We can help.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

It's only a dumb question if you don't ask it :)
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Lonnie, It's a real nice change to have--I have it on my 'buds. Depending on your copedant, you can time the pulls with a couple of your other strings to get a "feel stop" at G, so first string gives you your G raise AND your G# note. I also use the 2nd string D# to E on the same lever. You can also easily install a mechanical "half-stop", too. Email me, I will share my copedant and help you, if you like.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"~old cowboy proverb.
shobud@windstream.net
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

:eek: I have my 1st string raise F# to G# on RKR & like Mr.Sinkler I had the 7th raise F# to G on that lever also but tuned the nut down so it doesn't engage.Might re do it in the future,I like the effect of the 7th sound it produces.