new invention could become a nice toy for steelguitar!

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Johan Jansen

new invention could become a nice toy for steelguitar!

Post by Johan Jansen »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_GzNPT_ ... r_embedded#!

Think about volume, reverb etc.....
JJ
James Mayer
Location: back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)

Re: new invention could become a nice toy for steelguitar!

Post by James Mayer »

Johan Jansen wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_GzNPT_ ... r_embedded#!

Think about volume, reverb etc.....
JJ
THIS has been around a while and would be interesting to use as a volume pedal.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Some inventions desperately need to be UN-invented; is it not yet abundantly clear that when some purchase a "smart" phone, it is soaking up their IQ points leaving them addled & bereft? When I become Supreme Revered Leader, the first Great Leap Forward will a mandatory brown paper bag to go over the heads of all wah users when they do that thing with their lips.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

David Mason wrote:When I become Supreme Revered Leader, the first Great Leap Forward will a mandatory brown paper bag to go over the heads of all wah users when they do that thing with their lips.
FIGHT EXPRESSION SUPRESSION!
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

There is no stopping "progress". Like it or not. Someday, archeologists will find a layer of beer can pop-tops and cig butts from my generation. Sorry to be so negative.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I'm waiting for some genius to re-invent the violin. If it ain't broke DON'T fix it!
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Kevin Hatton wrote:I'm waiting for some genius to re-invent the violin.
Let's hope they don't crossbreed it with a banjo.
Gerry Simon

Post by Gerry Simon »

Pretty cool, Johan...Music would be pretty boring if it didn't progress in different ways...I think this device might find more use for those whos buttes are not glued to a seat but even the fine Telonics volume pedal has an attachment that lets you control the level with an external sensor, that might be on a hat , leg or something that tilts.
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Gerry wrote - Pretty cool, Johan...Music would be pretty boring if it didn't progress in different ways...

Of course gerry - You are absolutly right! At least I agree with you :D Just like to see/hear more music and less gadgets. But again, you are right(I believe) it IS an electric instrument, so electricity is one of the tools.
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

I've got it! - a device that senses sphincter contractions and actuates a change on my pedal steel.
the "ass lever".
I can hear the forum discussion now -
So......how do you have your ass lever set up?
(as far as it will go)

sorry..that's rude.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Well at some point this is inevitably leading to a rig where somebody like Lady Gaga can glue sensors all over her body and plug into a bank of 50 synthesizers. And then you'll be sorry you didn't listen to me! Oh yes you will!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wagn8Wrmzuc&feature=fvsr

And the hottest discos will be the ones in which the dancers are wired to the sound system and actually feeding upon each other - possibly with strap-on skin-injected drug pumps for the most affluent. When you go to concerts, the "musicians" will no longer play instruments, they'll just lie naked on altars and twitch. And your grandchildren will love it.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Will this ever replace the the "Blues-ZAPPER" that is so widely used today? As you probably know, the "Blues-ZAPPER" device fastens to the guitar strap where it goes over the shoulder, and sends a strong shock to the player's neck and shoulder area whenever he bends a note, causing the player to close his eyes, cringe, and turn his head slightly.

It's a very popular device, most every blues player seems to use one!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

I guess a lot of steelers will run as fast as lightning to the music-store to get something like this, when a pro like Emmons or Franklin would use one, remember the E-bow?
If this works as a wah, it also can work as a volume"pedal" or as .... who knows. It's an invention that maybe will open new fronteers for pedalsteel. Or can help people with a handicap.
I also like the sound of a pure pedalsteel, but that doesn't mean I'm not open to new inventions and so on.

JJ
Gerry Simon

Post by Gerry Simon »

David, You are right...Mick Fleetwood, the drummer for Fleetwood Mack, has a suit with sensors that when he hits various parts of his body, triggers a drum sound. Of course it's a great showy bit, and not a particularly good candidate to replace a drum kit! :)
Bud, I like the straight steel sound too, it's why I've spent so many years trying to find it...however, I find in myself, (so I am assuming it is others), a certain degree of...ummmm, 'ear fatigue' ...it comes to me when I am listening to small groups (or even in my own small groups), when one instrument plays most all the breaks, pads, fills etc, and never changes tone or timbre. That's where I like the use of electronics...it breaks up the monotony, no matter how good the player, of hearing the same tonality for 4 hours. YES, I could listen to Emmons or Franklin etc...for that time w/o a problem, but sure as hell, I ain't them! :)
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Gerry I think you hit it on the head. That's exactly why I use effects (sparingly).
It's one thing to do a 45 minute gig straight into your amp, it's another to play five 45 minute sets and not bore people.
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Hey Gerry et al : I wasn't real clear in my 2nd post. What I ment by "less gadgets" was less gadgets that have the same purpose as gadgets that are already in use, and work just fine already. Like you, I'm experiementing with effects and neat/different sounds. It's totally fun ! The problem I'm having is finding a way to use those sounds in a group situation with other instruments. One of the groups i'm involved with plays traditional country music, so I play traditional country steel to go with it. Fine. I have a boss se 50 multi effects unit, makes all kinds of neat sounds. But if I turn on the sitar sound, needless to say, it doesn't fit in, to me or anybody else.
I hear ya with the ear fatigue. So, I'm looking for, and listening for, are some trailblazers that do it thru the instrument, not trailblazing just with effects. Johan & Zane have some really neat stuff going on! Expanding ! Yet they still sound like a steel guitar. I especially like that. :D The different styles topic, a few topics back is like a window to the future. Oh and one more thing, (hope I'm not rambling too much or gotten off the topic) after I hear a lot of this new steel stuff, I have problems playing the "normal" stuff. That's my own weakness. I think you (Gerry) got it right in your first post in this thread, ..Music would be pretty boring if it didn't progress in different ways...
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

It's OK to take and modify an existing product to another dimension to see what happens. I even know this old geezer that took the standard yo yo and put in centrifugal clutches, o-rings,ball bearings and transaxles.....Ahem....

Lenny
Gerry Simon

Post by Gerry Simon »

Yeah, using effects with creativity and fitting them into a tune so they sound like they 'should' be there is the challenge. When a new box comes out it seems like it gets overused and often not in the right way. I remember when synths first were heard, they sounded awful in many instances...today, musicians seem to have a better sense of where and how to use them and they are more easily accepted. It's kinda like make up on a girl; usually I like it best when I don't see it as make up but it augments her beauty, but on occasion, if I see some one with green hair, instead of grimacing, I just smile and think; ;good for her!! :)
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Yep - agreed ! It sure is OK to take and modify an existing product to another dimension to see what happens. That is progress. On the other hand, do we really need an electric yo-yo? Take the internet. It saves me $ i don't have to spend on batteries for my hearing aid. Just kidding around ! :) Gonna go cut the grass with my push mower. Ouch my back hurts.
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

So the PSG player can strap his pak-a-seat to his behind, and move all around the stage, sit down anywhere and play? That would be one way to get our instrument noticed.

The audience still wouldn't have a clue what it was, though.
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

David Mason wrote:Well at some point this is inevitably leading to a rig where somebody like Lady Gaga can glue sensors all over her body and plug into a bank of 50 synthesizers. And then you'll be sorry you didn't listen to me! Oh yes you will!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wagn8Wrmzuc&feature=fvsr

And the hottest discos will be the ones in which the dancers are wired to the sound system and actually feeding upon each other - possibly with strap-on skin-injected drug pumps for the most affluent. When you go to concerts, the "musicians" will no longer play instruments, they'll just lie naked on altars and twitch. And your grandchildren will love it.
I see great production quality and a nod to Andrww LLoyd Weber.
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

MIDI body sensors have been around for a long time. There is also video input to MIDI. Nintendo had a glove way back in the 90's There's a fiber optic glove out there as well.

This takes it to the next level by defining the specific motion. Ultimately, you are sitll dealing with x,y and z axis'
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Fads come and go. There are folks who are upset that string stretching pedals have been added to the steel guitar. It's the age old question of progess vs. using what'ca already got. Build a better mouse trap. Have at it. Style and class are timeless. Either way evolve/adapt or, well, you know the answer. Speaking of evolution, this thread has evolved nicely.
James Mayer
Location: back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)

Post by James Mayer »

[sarcasm]This invention is almost as dumb as someone putting the volume pot in a pedal so we don't have to use our pinky fingers. What's next, active pedals with lasers instead of pots?[/sarcasm]

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it", "nuff said" and "if it's good enough for _____, then it's good enough for me" are phrases that appear in any thread on the SGF that involves any kind of progressive thinking. It used to really annoy me but now I think the inevitability is quite humorous.

We should start a betting pool that is conducted via private messages on how many posts will be written before the first grumpy curmudgeon surfaces.

"Some inventions desperately need to be UN-invented; is it not yet abundantly clear that when some purchase a "smart" phone, it is soaking up their IQ points leaving them addled & bereft?"

Please explain how having the world's largest library at my fingertips decreases my IQ?
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

The original topic was "new invention could become a nice toy for steelguitar!"

I believe, yes, it could become a nice TOY for steel guitar.
I also believe if someone is going to spend 4 years in engineering school, not to mention thousands of dollars in tuition, they could invent something we could really, really, use. Something to TRULEY help the world. Something we really NEED. I am talking of course about a really working, usable, portable, unbreakable, inexpensive, made in USA, modifiable, chick magnet. Cause mine broke. I'm done, I promise. Next topic.