Okla City Steel guitar JAM & LESSONS

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Leroy Wood

Okla City Steel guitar JAM & LESSONS

Post by Leroy Wood »

Hi folks

Our next sesson will be Sat, Feb 18, at the Country Music Museum, 3925 S.E. 29th Street In Del City, just 5 minutes east of Oklahoma City.

ATTENTION!!!!! We have a change in our program as follows:

Starting at 10am will be 2 hours of Steel Guitar lessons by Ken Collins who is Okla City,s finest accomplished Steel Guitar player. Bring your recorders and head phones.

From 12pm to 12:30pm we will set up the band for a JAM from 12:30pm until 3:30.

Come on down and join us.

Leroy Wood (405) 424-1592
Ernie Dunlap

jam

Post by Ernie Dunlap »

Who gets second chair?
Edgar Hattabaugh

Jam

Post by Edgar Hattabaugh »

I'll be there. Ed
Wayne Morton

Post by Wayne Morton »

If you want to learn something from the best, you need to be there Sat. morning. What a treat, wish I could be there. Everyone have a good time.

Wayne
Emmons 82 SKH, Emmons 93 Legrande II, Emmons 72 Fat Back, Mullen G2 Purple Heart, 82 Zum
Leroy Wood

Post by Leroy Wood »

Ernie, go for it. Your the comeback kid that never gave up. I can't wait to hear you light up the strings on that 12 string.

Ed, Thanks for taking part in this new effort.

Leroy
Ernie Dunlap

Jam

Post by Ernie Dunlap »

I will try it Leroy, if Lorren is ready to play his song as well. Between sickness and age I'm running out of time. I am very thankful, for everyone prayers and Ken Collins gave me the strength and the hope to overcome the Disabilities, by showing me it could be done, and how well it can be done, You guys are friends that I will always be thankful for.
Leroy Wood

Post by Leroy Wood »

Wayne

I sure do miss your playing our JAM, but you are doing a great job with OSGA. We wish you all the best, and we support your work.

Leroy
J. R. McClung

Thanks to Leroy:

Post by J. R. McClung »

Leroy,
Thanks for calling and sorry I missed your call.

Let me echo what Wayne said: An opportunity to learn from the best.
And I, too, wish I could be there, but I have 2 obligations that day.

I hope you are using the auditorum because I expect the room will be packed. :)

See ya .......... Joel
Forget "world peace". Visualize using your turn signals.
Leroy Wood

Post by Leroy Wood »

Joel

Thanks for the post, I'm sorry you can't make it this time. I hope you still have that "best looking Thomas steel" it sure lights up the room.

I will fill you in on how this sesson turns out.

Leroy
Leroy Wood

Post by Leroy Wood »

TTT
DeWitt Scott

Jam

Post by DeWitt Scott »

Hi Leroy. I wish I could attend your show in Okla. City. I was raised in Yukon but having lived in Bethany and OK. City as well. I attended high scool at both Putnam City and Okla. City and graduated from Yukon High in 1950.I went to the Okla. City University for a few months until I got kicked out for playing country music on Reno street at night while attending colledge. You are correct about Ken Collins. He is a fine player and I admire him very much. If anyone remembers I put on a steel show over the Memorial Day weekend in Okla. City with help of Bob Woods. It was so successful that the Oklahoma Steel Guitar Association took it over and moved it to Tulsa. Maybe some of the people reading this was there.

Have fun at your gathering and maybe one of these days I'll pop in on you. Regards, Scotty Wait a minute. Most people knew me by DeWitt Scott back in the 1940's.
Gary Shepherd

Post by Gary Shepherd »

Rats. Wish I had known about this sooner. How long has this been going on?
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
Leroy Wood

Post by Leroy Wood »

Scotty

Thanks for your post and it would be an honor for you to visit us any time you can. Just let us know so we can roll out the red carpet.

We had a great day today with Ken Collins conducting a preview of his lesson plans, and 11 steel pickers plus a band for the JAM session.

Our paths were close together in those good old days. I started playing on KLPR radio located in Capital Hill OKC in 1951. Some others that also played were Leonard Sipps and Wanda Jackson. Later we added a girl singer to our band by the name of Annita Bryant. Well, so much for history, I wonder what ever happened to them.

Thanks again.

Leroy
Lorren White

OKC Jam 02/18 and lessons

Post by Lorren White »

What a great time we had today starting with Ken Collins teaching as many as 11 steel players eagar to learn what he had to offer.It brought back memories of the 40's when the Oahu Publishing co offered their professional technque and advanced harmony courses available at local Oahu studios. Scotty can attest to those days and every time I see him with his Fry Pan I think of those days.

Ken's approach is the right way learn as much basic knowledge about your instrument before you ever touch the strings. The Oahu method taught you how to play by tab or note. The thing that was missing was how to improvise, playing by not looking at tab or note. This is what I hope to gain and if I do, it will be the the greatest time spent in my life time.

It's good to see post from Joel and Gary, two we have not seen for a long time, along with many others. Leroy is now seeing some payoff for all his hard work of arranging the great back up players, making all the calls every month just so we can all enjoy what we think is the greatest instrument with strings. Thanks to all who come to enjoy, explore and now to learn from the best! This will one day complete the dream of that day when the big auditorium where we meet will have one of the greatest steel shows Okla. City has seen. Scotty I feel you would like to see this happen once again in your back yard! Let's dream big and make it happen.
Leroy Wood

Post by Leroy Wood »

Hi Gary

I will email you.

Leroy
Gary Shepherd

Post by Gary Shepherd »

I was going to a Steel thing in Tuttle a couple of years ago. Is this the same group? Have I been missing out?
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
Lorren White

OKC Jam 02/18 and lessons

Post by Lorren White »

Yes Gary you will recognize some of the same and several new faces that were not at Tuttle. I would say that our group is larger than what we had in Tuttle. When Tuttle shut down many of us kept meeting starting in Ken Hoyts office. We got to large for his space then moved to the Country Music Museum. Time flys but, I think we have been meeting 3-4 years. Yes, you have been missing out. We sure hope you can join our group and share our fun.
Leroy Wood

Post by Leroy Wood »

Gary

This is some of that group plus some, and yes you have been missing out. We would like for you to come and join us.

We are not an offical club, so we just get together for a JAM. Starting next month Ken Collins will conduct a class from 10am to 12pm, then JAM from 12:30 to 3:30pm. the next session will be March 17.

Leroy