1955 Fender Dual-8 switch questions

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Barry Beattie

1955 Fender Dual-8 switch questions

Post by Barry Beattie »

Hi All.

I now have a 1955 Fender Dual neck 8-string console Steel. It has lollypop tuner buttons, chrome oval p'up covers and a pair of pickups for each neck. It does NOT have the small thumbwheel in the bridge for blending pickups for each neck

To help understand which model it is, the case has a slight trapezoid shape (cross-section) where the four legs have their own walled off compartment under the case lid, with two snap buttons to keep the wall shut.

It's the switching and controls that I'm trying to understand (since it does something weird) and I'd like to ensure it's wired as standard.

The controls are

- a volume and tone pot on the bottom (closest to the player) neck, just next to the bridge on a chrome plate.
- two black slide switches (which look like Fender Jaguar guitar switches) on the upper neck (to the right of the bridge) that suppose to turn each neck on/off and pickup selectors.

There's no middle section between necks for controls. It does NOT have telecaster-type blade switch (that I've seen on similar Dual-8's).

These switches make no sense at all how they're currently wired. I can't seem to get both pickups working but don't yet know why. I suspect the previous owner has changed the controls somehow.

Can anyone tell me how SHOULD these controls work on this SPECIFIC model?

thanks
barry.b
Brisbane, Australia

(edited to add photo)
John Tipka

Post by John Tipka »

Barry,

Go to this URL on my web page: http://www.juststeelguitar.com/images/E ... master.gif

The diagram shows the switch wiring for a quad. Just eliminate the two rightmost switches shown on the diagram and you will have the wiring schematic for your guitar. Each switch controls the pickups for that neck; if you want to play only one neck, turn on the switch only for that neck; if you want to use both necks at the same time for the song being played, then turn on that neck, too. You have total control over neck selection, either neck on, but not both, or both on at the same time. Both necks on at the same time will change the combined pickups operating impedance resulting in a slightly reduced output volume at any given volume setting.

John Tipka
steelgtr@insight.rr.com
Barry Beattie

Post by Barry Beattie »

thanks John. That, unfortunately has confused me further.

Can I switch between pickups on either neck? the diagram looks like I'd get bridge-only or both pickups.

so that sounds like

Neck1: BridgeP'up | BothP'up | NoP'up (off)
Neck2: BridgeP'up | BothP'up | NoP'up (off)

that's six choices, or three per switch.

How does that map to

Switch1: UP | Down
Switch2: UP | Down

which is only four choices

Sw1-up | Sw2-up :
Sw1-up | Sw2-Dn :
Sw1-Dn | Sw2-up :
Sw1-Dn | Sw2-Dn :

thanks
B
John Tipka

Post by John Tipka »

Barry,

It appears that the switches on your guitar have been changed from DPST (double pole single throw} to DPDT (double pole double throw). Your model of guitar (1953-1955) was equipped with the DPST neck switches with no option to select between neck and bridge pickups; the neck was either on or off.......
Please note on the diagram the pickups are hard-wired together with no option for selection between neck and bridge.
The later models with push-button selector switches included different pickups and a blend control potentiometer used to change the tone of the guitar ranging from bass to treble.

How your guitar is wired, I would not hazard to bet. I am sorry that I can't help you.

John
John Tipka

Post by John Tipka »

How does that map to

Switch1: UP | Down
Switch2: UP | Down

which is only four choices

Sw1-up | Sw2-up : Inside neck ON:Outside neck ON
Sw1-up | Sw2-Dn : Inside neck ON:Outside neck OFF
Sw1-Dn | Sw2-up : Inside neck OFF:Outside neck ON
Sw1-Dn | Sw2-Dn : Both necks are OFF: No output to amplifier

John
Barry Beattie

Post by Barry Beattie »

ah ha!

Many thanks John.

What you're saying is that the switches simply turn each neck on/off.

But what you're also saying is that each neck's p'ups are both run together in series, which would explain why later models (in the early 60's?) had that little thumbwheel in the bridge to blend the second p'up into the bridge p'up, giving a fatter sound.

Using the screwdriver tapping of each pickup, only the bridge p'ups seem to work. I haven't torn it apart yet to see what the reason for that is.

thanks again for your help.

cheers
B
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

On that model Stringmaster, you either have the pickups on or off for each individual neck. There is NO blend control.