Making a Switch from E9 to D9

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tim Heidner

Making a Switch from E9 to D9

Post by Tim Heidner »

would you have to do a bunch of re-adjusting to put a whole set of fatter strings on?
I want to fatten up my sound, I seem to be gravitating to a slide guitar or lap steel type of style of playing (with pedals), and the E9 strings sound a bit thin...
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Have you tried just tuning down the same sets? I only play "C"6th, but I find that tuning the same strings down to Bb gives me a much stringier, less shiny-robot sound. And I never break 'em anymore.... :)
Ryan Barwin

Post by Ryan Barwin »

You'll also definitely want to use a wound 6th if you're not already.
Wally Moyers

Post by Wally Moyers »

My first Pedal Steel was a Sahara that was built by a local builder here in Lubbock. It would't tune up to E9 without breaking strings so it was tuned to D9. That was about 1970..

Tim, I would try going up one or two gages and see how it plays. You will have to do some re-adjusting of pedal travel but it will give you a fatter sound. Stevie Ray Vaughn always tuned down for the same reason.. It will be interesting to see how it works for you.. Good luck...
b0b

Post by b0b »

I've been playing D6th for the past two years. I have the E9th A+B pedals on it. I like the darker timbre - I think it sounds better for folk and Americana. These gauges would work for D9th:
[tab]E .014
C# .017
F# .013
D .015
A .020p
F# .026w
E .030
D .034
C .038
A .042

[/tab]
If you currently use a plain 6th string, you'll probably need to adjust the rod position on your B pedal for a longer pull. Other than that, I think it will be a simple retuning of the pedals.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Tim Heidner

Post by Tim Heidner »

Thanks for the tips, everybody!
Zeke Cory

D9 it is !!!

Post by Zeke Cory »

I also play a D9th tuning. Mine is a standard E9th set of strings just tuned down. My strings are the standard 13,15,11,14,17,20w,26,32,34,36. Dave & Bob are right about Never breaking strings and the sound a bit darker. The sound I guess I would call a bit "stringier". You will be amazed at how easy your pedals work. Just touch them and they are there. You will inherently develop a much lighter touch to pull this off however, as I run my guitar very hot, volume pedal wise. Also, trying it out without changing your standard string set you can find out if you like it without having to change strings twice if ya don't. Best of luck in whatever method you choose. Zeke
Ernie Dunlap

tuning

Post by Ernie Dunlap »

get a universal 12
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

Dropping down a whole step shouldn't be a problem.
I did it a long time ago just to see if there was any advantage. I was "More" of a newbie and playing a lot of stuff in the key of E. I had problems playing in the low open position without the bar. The wound 6th string will help preserve resonance and sustain when you drop down a whole.
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
b0b

Post by b0b »

I wouldn't use E9th gauges for D9th. When strings aren't tight, it's harder to play in tune. Also, thicker gauges sound better.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

My first from Scotty was a Fender single neck with eight strings, three pedals and tuned in D9th. - 1969 - fond memories - :)