Gulfport show

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

James Thrasher

Gulfport show

Post by James Thrasher »

The Gulfport show was excellent,Some of the players were new to me and were impressive in every way.Really liked the Cajun Band,nice to hear something different once in a while,they seem to have more fun with music,all kinds of stuff going on sonically.
If you missed it,sure was a goodun,glad I told wife come hell or high water Iwas agoin.
James
Emmons Legrand II Tele w/Bigsby,dulcimer, banjo,Amps-Berringer board into 2500 watt Pwr amp,crate 50 watt batt pwr for practice and Fender Two tone for
old vintage sound.

------------------
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Hey James, I was there too, sorry I didn't get to meet ya.

I sure had a great time and it was nice to see everyone.

------------------
Rains SD10
Fender Steel King
B-bender Telecaster
Line 6 Flextone II Plus
www.jimwalkeronline.com
My Space

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Walker on 04 December 2006 at 03:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Stafford

Post by Bill Stafford »

Thanks James and Jim. So glad you all were here and enjoyed our efforts. I had a GREAT time listening and socializing with all the STEEL GUITAR ROOT LEGENDS we had in house with us. It was so good to see the packed house really enjoying these great players.
It was a very fitting way and day to celebrate all that Mary and Scotty have given to us and the world.
Thanks Scotty and Mary for the honor of your presence in Gulfport.
Thanks to Ms Lana for the great MC duties. It was a tough job keeping our schedule working with all the acceptance and
gleeful reaction of the audinece to ALL the players on our program.
Our very own Cayla-Ann Kelton, a gorgeous young girl-10 years-was called back for an encore of her rendition of Minnie Pearl-she is billed as "Miss Mini Minnie Pearl". Bob Saxton brought her on stage both times with that famous theme-"She'll be Coming Around the Mountain".
I will elaborate more on all the players later and do my best to give them all proper thanks for this great time we had here on the still devastated Gulf Coast of Mississippi. We are all starved for the wonderful recreation that was presented to us by all the players on this program. (And the only thing I was "fussed" at about was that we do not charge enough for this entertainment. I can live with that "fussin"). Special thanks and appreciation to all involved.
Most appreciated by:
Bill Stafford
Mel Taylor

Post by Mel Taylor »

I agree with James, the show was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the players but especially L.T. Zinn and Scotty since they played the non pedal steel which is what I am attempting to learn. L.T. has got to be one of the nicest guys on planet earth but then everyone there was truly nice people. The Cajun Band was great and really added to the excitement. It was nice meeting Ben O'Dell and Bill Stafford, you fellows and all who helped you did a great job putting this event together.
Mel
Jack Goodson

Post by Jack Goodson »

Image Bill: this was the best show yet, martha and I had a great time as always....thanks jack<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jack Goodson on 04 December 2006 at 10:20 AM.]</p></FONT>
Lana Rosselli

Post by Lana Rosselli »

Yes, this was a great show. And what a honor for me to be a part of it.
What Mary and Scotty have done is immeasurable. And with the various associations following suit just furthers the efforts. It takes everyone to keep the music going. Bill, Ben and the DSSGA really put the energy into creating an entertaining day and it shows. Just being a part of this event is so special for me.

Everyone played OUTSTANDING! The welcomed addition of Miss Mini Minnie Pearl was a crowd pleaser. But being able to look along the walls and see so many of the industry's legends was a true sight. I finally got to hear Howard White play live on his lap steel and also Mr. Hank Corwin. Of course Scotty pleased us all with the wonderful sounds he squeezed out of his "Scotty" frypan. And Joe - it was hard keeping him in line but once he settled down... the standing ovation was well deserved. The twin steels of Bill Stafford and LT Zinn and later with Lynn Owsley and Hank Corwin...fabulous! What a joy to hear LT Zinn's masterful touch and the enjoyment he gets from playing poured out. Jr. Martin and the Dustin Ray Southern Groove Cajun Band...A ton of talent! Jr's title of great cajun steel guitarist certainly fits. (Hey Martha - have you got your acordian yet?) Then to follow that - the great Buck Grantham opened with Working Man Blues...Oh yeah!!! Let's not forget Jim Parker who I really enjoy listening too. He played a beautiful rendition of Eleven Roses. I even got to hear Rob Parker play steel - I've only seen pictures of that until Saturday. The staff band was fabulous the way they held up with all those players. Miss Dottie Jack from Texas joined us and sang a little with Lynn. She did a great job. As everyone who got up and sang a tune or three. Bob Saxton changed things up a bit with his set too. All in all, I had a wonderful time as I always do in Gulfport. For those who missed the show - you truly missed a good time.

The show was recorded and hopefully they will make them available for sale. If so, DON'T WAIT TO GET YOUR COPY!!

Thanks again to the DSSGA for letting me be a part of their Scotty Appreciation Day. Truly an honor.

Miss Lana (Bill's MSGA)
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

It sure was a great day of music and fun. I had to leave early for another gig, but wish I could have stayed for all of it.......I'm hoping that the next one in Feb, is just as well attended as this one was......I would like to thank Mr. Jeff Blackwell for the great job he did on sound and the recording of the whole event. Great job Jeff......we thank you for it. 'Til next time, everyone take care, be blessed and have a great holiday season. HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
2006 Rains w/8 & 5 Chestnut Burl Mica. Rack system with Evans Preamp (LV), DPC1400,Lexicon MPX500, Furman Power Conditioner, 2 Evans Cabs with Eclipse 15's Modified Evans Preamp (no rack ears), Boss RV5, DD3, Digitech RP50, 2 Hilton Pedals, Walker Seat w/sidekick and backrest, BJS 10 string bar with birthstone. Zookies thumb pick L-30.

Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

It was a wonderful show, so many great players. I'd like to know, has anyone ever seen LT Zinn without a smile? What a personality to go with the wonderful skill and heart he has. Jeff did a terrific job with the sound, thanks Jeff, and Miss Lana. Just too many fine performers to name 'em all, but I loved 'em all. If I could save a whole bunch of money I'd pay Hank Corwin to play just for me. Sure wish him, and Buck Grantham would do some cds, the music needs to be preserved.

------------------
Howard
Fuzzy Plant

Post by Fuzzy Plant »

Jack:
Great photo, but I only recognize a couple of them, Hank and Joe. Could you list their names in order. Thanks!
Fuzzy
Randy Blackwell

Post by Randy Blackwell »

Bill,what a great show. It was wonderful to meet the 'pioneers and keepers' of the steel guitar. What a line-up! I also had to leave earlier than I wanted due to a funeral,but was in awe as Scotty,L.T.,Buck and others played. I am also very proud of my BIG BROTHER JEFF, he was the one-man sound/recording/engineer of the event. He does what he does for the sheer love of the music and the steel guitar, and to promote and preserve the art. Hope to see y'all soon. Thanx, Randy
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

Fred,
Front row seated....left to right..
Hank Corwin, Bill Stafford, Junior Martin, Scotty..
Standing..Left to right...
Bob Saxton,Howard Tate, ( man in black ball cap, sorry I can't think of his name ),Joe Wright, Howard White, Buck Grantham, L.T. Zinn, Lynn Owsley,Rob Parker, Ivan Reddington...
RP...'come on in'...<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by ROB PARKER on 04 December 2006 at 04:14 PM.]</p></FONT>
Fuzzy Plant

Post by Fuzzy Plant »

Thanks Rob. I really appreciate it.
Fuzzy
Bill Stafford

Post by Bill Stafford »

I want to thank Hal Higgins for opening our show. His performance of "Our National Anthem" was the best I have every heard on a steel guitar. The audience came to their feet promptly and almost stayed that way the rest of the day. Hal's talent is second to none and his vocal ability matches up perfectly. I do not know of any other steel player that can sing "Look At Us" and play all the perfect "Hughey-Land" back up steel parts as well as the steel break. Super job Hal. And if that was not good enough, this guy knocks us all out with "How Great Thou Art". His magnificent voice brings down the walls.Take lots of notes on this talent folks. Thank you so much Hal. Hope you can stay longer next time. You are a big asset to our DSSGA.
More on others later.
Bill Stafford
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Yeah Bill, Hal blew us all away at the Blountstown, FL show last Febuary with his rendition of "How Great Thou Art". John Hughey and Russ Hicks both got up from the dinner tabe and came back in the room to watch Hal finish the tune. A lot of comments were made about how hard it is to get John and Russ away from food, Hal sure did it.

------------------
Rains SD10
Fender Steel King
B-bender Telecaster
Line 6 Flextone II Plus
www.jimwalkeronline.com
My Space

DeWitt Scott

Post by DeWitt Scott »

Mary, LT Zinn and myself got home in St. Louis about 7:00 PM on Sunday to a house that had no electricity but with the gas stove and hot water we made it through the night OK. The power was off at both our home and Scotty's Music for 4 and half days and it's a good feeling to be back to work again.

We want to thank everyone for being so nice to us in Gulfport. Bill and Betty Stafford went beyond the call of duty making us feel so welcome and comfortable. All the players on the show were fine players and I hadn't seen Jr. Martin in a long time so it was good to hear him again. The back up band was fine. We rehearsed Golden Earrings and Among My Souvenirs but I didn't play them on the show. It was just like a lot of other shows I play on. People keep requesting me to play tunes they like and I just ran out of time. Once again, thanks to everyone, especailly Lana for her part of the show. She has gained so much experience in such a short time. I played music with her dad when she was just a small child. She is like an adopted daughter to me. Scotty

Bill Stafford

Post by Bill Stafford »

Scotty, the pleasure was all ours. Sure glad you all made it home safe after that terrible storm. It was our biggest pleasure to have you, Mary and L.T. drive down from St. Louis to help us celebrate you properly.
I do believe that Mary will allow you to look at that award ever so often.
And your adopted Grandaughter did a great job for all of us too.
Hope it warms up there in St. Louis very soon.
Bill Stafford
Ben ODell

Post by Ben ODell »

As usual, we had a great time. It was good to see you all. What a show!!!

I know the folks from St Louis got a big surprize when they got home. Hope ya'll got everything under control up there Scotty, Lana, and etc.

I especially want to thank my good friend Ed Clark for taking some of the load off the "ole man" (BEN). Uncle Ed was shining like a brand new penny all day.

Gotta go...... so I'll leave you all with one thought.

"IT WAS A GOOD-UN,,,, and WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEXT-UN !!!!!

Ben O'Dell
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

It was a wonderful show (to re-iterate). I was so happy to finally get to meet and hear L.T.Zinn (what a guy). Fabulous player and, I don't think I've ever seen such a radiant smile. Joe Wright....hmm....what more can be said for this fabulous "ENTERTAINER"! From start to finish, just great...funny, and uniquely heart touching songs. Very well deserving of the standing ovation he received. It's so hard to beat the vocal talents of Mr. Rob Parker (didn't get to hear him play steel)....such a rich voice. Wayne Goff...."Mr. Tireless Drummer", you rock.....Ed Clark..Mr. Smooth on the upright bass for sure. Bob Saxton, I still can't believe you know ALL of those songs by heart. Van Zirkle....keyboard extra-ordinaire....great job buddy. All of the other players who made up the back-up band, cudos to all of you. Like Ben said...can hardly wait for the Feb show.....thanks again to Bill & Betty for their tireless efforts to make this the best steel show in the country....Sorry Scotty and Mary, I'm just a little predjudiced (LOL).

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
2006 Rains w/8 & 5 Chestnut Burl Mica. Rack system with Evans Preamp (LV), DPC1400,Lexicon MPX500, Furman Power Conditioner, 2 Evans Cabs with Eclipse 15's Modified Evans Preamp (no rack ears), Boss RV5, DD3, Digitech RP50, 2 Hilton Pedals, Walker Seat w/sidekick and backrest, BJS 10 string bar with birthstone. Zookies thumb pick L-30.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Hal Higgins on 05 December 2006 at 05:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
J PARKER

Post by J PARKER »

HEY GUYS I SURE ENJOYED SEEING THE SHOW AND GET TO MEET SO MANY NEW FACES. tHE FOLKS THERE SURE HAD A GREAT TIME AS I DID AS WELL. nO ONE ROLLS OUT THE RED CARPET ANY BETTER THAN THE DSSGA GANG.tHANKS TO ALL THAT HELPED ME ON MY PART OF THE SHOW. I WANT TO WISH EVERYONE A VERY MEXRRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL. jIM
Jeff Blackwell

Post by Jeff Blackwell »

There are so many great memories from this weekend in Gulfport. I enjoyed the get-together at Bill and Betty Stafford's home Friday night. Wish we had recorded that!

The event on Saturday would not have been possible if not for the foresight of Bill Stafford and Ben O'Dell. Of course, none of us would have been there if not for DeWitt and Mary Scott. Their legendary love of the steel guitar and selfless promotion of this wonderful instrument is what brought about this "family reunion" in Gulfport.

My sincere thanks for the kind comments regarding sound and recording. I know the obvious shortcomings of trying to do too many things at once. I felt the live sound suffered at the expense of digitally preserving this historic gathering. However, the recording was only the beginning. NOW comes the mixdown! Looks like I'll be spending some weekends at the Staffords.

I appreciate your good words and good thoughts. I'm sure Bill will let you know when the project is ready for listening.

God's best and have a wonderful CHRISTmas.

------------------
Jeff Blackwell
Emmons D-10 LeGrande - Nashville 400
www.steelguitargear.com

Jr. Martin

Post by Jr. Martin »

Yes I agree, This was one great show. Thanks to Dustin Ray and his band for backing me up. It was good to meet the older player that I have heard about and never got to meet. Naturally the hi-lite of the show was Joe Wright (what tallent). It was especially good to see and hear Lynn since I last heard him at one of our Lucky Oceans jams at my shop. It was a treat to see and hear Scotty since 1987. I enjoyed seeing all the old friends. Thanks to Bill for inviting me to this great show, it is like a big family reunion. I wish I had more time , (but time waits for no one) and it is time to go to work. "WORK IS FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T STEEL".

jR mARTIN
Bill Stafford

Post by Bill Stafford »

Jr., it was our greatest pleasure to have you on stage and in the audience all afternoon. Glad you enjoyed the program. That legendary player you mentioned is Mr. L.T. Zinn. L.T. came all the way down from Michigan to be with us, along with Scotty from St. Louis. I was so pleased that a lot of our players and fans remembered L.T. and paid him his due respect. (This "Scotty Appreciation Day" was well represented). L.T. is one class gentleman and great player. The pleasure of his company was all ours this day.
Jr., your show was one of the best and still being talked about. Thank you so very much for adding to the quality of our program. And let me tell you in no uncertain terms, L.T. and all the rest were very impressed with your technique and ability. The Dustin Ray band was a unique addition to any steel guitar show, especially with you in the band.
And I must say thanks again to Ms Lana of Steel Radio DOT com for keeping us all in line. She did a wonderful MC job and I hope she enjoyed all as much as we all did.
Bill Stafford
Lana Rosselli

Post by Lana Rosselli »

Ya'll know I had a ball! Thank you for all the kind words. My job was easy yet very hard. It was tough giving the 'finger' to all those great players. So much fun taunting Joe but I had to be nice to MY SHOW SPONSOR. I was just so glad that I could step in and help so Bill and Ben could enjoy the show without one more job. They really work hard to put that show together. And how wonderful that Bill and Betty open their home for the Friday Frolic.

I have learned so much about the steel guitar and the masters of the instrument from so many folks. I am simply fascinated by the talent. Jr. Martin - you're amazing and the Dustin Ray Band...wish I could have gone and heard them at Diamond Head. But I went to my room, turned in for the night, and drifted into sleep while picks, bars and various 'how he do that's' danced in my head.

See ya'll next time...

Miss Lana
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

Bill and Betty,
My thanks to you for the hospitality..good food, good bed, and best of all, the good company and the picking we enjoyed at the Friday nite get-together, and all day Saturday..
And my thanks to the staff and officers of the club and the volunteers who worked so hard to bring to the fans such an excellent show..and to Jeff for his work and dedication to set up, and run sound, and record the show..such a busy man..But we should have found something else for him to do..I think I saw him setting down a couple of times..heh heh..
And thanks to Miss Lana for the m.c. work..That's a job that will keep you running...
And many thanks to all the talent that added their expertise and musical abilities to help make the show a barn-burner...the staff band was great..and played their buns off...
I feel very blessed and priveleged to be in such company..And from the starting bell, led off by the talent of Hal Higgins, to the last song, played by Ivan Reddington, and all the great pickers in between those two pickers, it was pure magic..thank you all for allowing me to share your stage and your friendship...
This old country hillbilly returned to Kentucky with his 'bucket' full...looking forward to the next invitation to the show...
The only down part..the person who was going to make gumbo, had a situation arise that made him unable to come..so we will have to wait till a later time to have his gumbo..hope his problem worked out for him okay...
All who did not, would not, or could not attend, missed a great picking session by some of the greatest musicians in the business...maybe next time...
Peace and love to all of you and your families..
Merry Christmas , and a Happy New Year to all of you..
RP...'come on in'...
Roland Buras
Location: Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA

Post by Roland Buras »

Hello everyone, I am glad to be back home. I hate that i missed one of our biggest shows of the year. I sure wanted to hear Ivan Redington along with mr Dewitt Scott playing there non pedal steels. Also i hear that Hal Higgins was superb on that new rains guitar, dosen't surprise me i have always considered Hal Higgins one of THE best E9th steel player out there today bar NONE! . Hope to see you all soon and hopefully in February at Gulfport. Thanks for your prayers. Miss Lana the Doctors could not find the problem but it is still there, i think it is the peanut butter/jelly thing
HA! I got to blame that on miss DOT.

R J Buras
Excel SD12 8x5