Peterson Stobo Flip Tuner

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Carestia

Peterson Stobo Flip Tuner

Post by Paul Carestia »

Would some of you on the forum who own and use the Peterson Strobo Flip tuner please tell me how well it works for pedal steel and how well you like it.

If possible compare it to the Boss TU-12 tuner, which is the tuner I currently use.

I'm finding a high degree of instability in the needle when trying to tune my 6th string on my E9th neck with the Boss TU-12 and am thinking of changing to the Peterson Strobo Flip. This tuner instability is starting to drive me crazy!

But before I do that, I'd like to hear what others on the forum think.

Also, any ideas on why my 6th string is acting up on the Boss. I have more than one TU-12 and they all do the same thing.

I'm coming directly out of my Hilton pedal to the tuner.

Thanks much!
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Paul it is perfect for PSG -- and it has several pre-set PSG "tempered tunings" in-built. They are considered one of the best tuners available for PSG, and extremely accurate.
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

I love mine! Once you get used to the sweetened tuning, its hard to go back.

That said, sometimes mine can be very noisy. Its a good idea to keep it out of the signal path. Something to keep in mind.

Even with that bad mojo, I still use it for every gig and session I do
Terry Sneed

Strbo flip

Post by Terry Sneed »

I think you'll love the strobo flip, I really like mine.
terry
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Yup, what everyone else said. I love mine.

Regarding the Boss, have you tried plugging the guitar straight into the tuner and bypassing the Hilton?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Joe Hensley

Post by Joe Hensley »

I love it, just make sure you get a newer one or send it in to have the diode modded by Peterson (gets rid of signal distortion).
Clark Doughty

Peterson Strobe Tuner

Post by Clark Doughty »

Since it does it on all your TU-12 Tuners I would check what may be wrong with your 6th string, or something else other than the TU-12. It seems to me the common problem is your string not all the tuners you have. It's probably going to do the same thing on the Peterson..... JMHO
Last edited by Clark Doughty on 7 Dec 2011 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Keller

Post by Richard Keller »

I can now play in tune since i started using a stroboflip. I don't play better, just in tune. It is a great tuner. I use the sweetened tuning for steel guitar. I like the bracket that comes with it to attach it to the guitar leg. It is easy to use and very sensitive. I would definitely recommend it. I found a new one on ebay for only $142.
George Kimery

Peterson Strobe-0-flip tuner

Post by George Kimery »

I also had the Tu-12 and went to the Strobo-flip. Best move I ever made. Get the Strobo flip. Expensive, but worth every penny. (maybe check ebay for a good price?)
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Just curious if anyone out there has found a way to avoid the hum that you get with the power supply for the stroboflip. I always go out the second output of my reverb or volume pedal so it's not in the signal path, but still have to plug in and out to avoid the hum. I know that batteries work, but they don't last long and I don't like having to rely on batteries. Can the hum be avoided? Perhaps the new stomp classic runs on 9 volts and is quieter?
Richard Keller

Post by Richard Keller »

I get no hum from my stroboflip. I use the power adapter and plug the tuner into the second output from my Hilton volume pedal.
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Richard Keller wrote:I get no hum from my stroboflip. I use the power adapter and plug the tuner into the second output from my Hilton volume pedal.
I do the same and no problems here. Love the strobo Flip!
Twang to the bone!
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

You can't go wrong with a Stroboflip. You will not regret getting one. Jack
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Has anyone carefully listened to see if there is any tone loss or degradation with the Strob-Flip, or for that matter other Peterson tuners? My BOSS Tu-12 and Tu-15 both introduce a bit of signal distortion, so i can't leave the tuners inline.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Dick Sexton

Tuner Distortion...

Post by Dick Sexton »

I found this by doing a search for "Strobo Flip Tuner":

"Sue(from Strobo Flip) also removed a diode (or diodes?) to eliminate distortion. I can now use the Stroboflip without using the special tuner cord I had made with a 1 meg. resistor in one of the jacks on the advise of Randy Beavers. The cord worked fine but now I can use any cord to the tuner with no distortion. Thanks again Sue, I sure hope you watch the Forum from time to time so you can see our messages of thanks to you.

A search for Randy Beaver Mod, should get you the mod information, if you need it.

I have been lead to believe that in the newer units this diode limiting distortion problem has been corrected. Diode Limiting is a commonly used practice in electronics. But it can induce distortion.

I personally used and still use the Beaver Mod for my volume pedals... It works!
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Great info, thank you, Dick.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Bob Sykes

Love it !!

Post by Bob Sykes »

I seldom use my TU-12 since getting the Stroboflip.
Brett Lanier
PostPosted: 7 Dec 11 2:41pm
Just curious if anyone out there has found a way to avoid the hum that you get with the power supply for the stroboflip. I always go out the second output of my reverb or volume pedal so it's not in the signal path, but still have to plug in and out to avoid the hum. I know that batteries work, but they don't last long and I don't like having to rely on batteries. Can the hum be avoided? Perhaps the new stomp classic runs on 9 volts and is quieter?
Brett see:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=194894
Carters Starter, D10 8+7, SD10
ISO Sustainus Ad Infinitum
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Thanks Bob, I'll try the ground lift. Although, since Ive gotten a push pull I barely have to tune at all. It's kinda nice.
Pete Myers

more ? on Peterson Stoboflip tuners

Post by Pete Myers »

for you guys out there using Stroboflips, I am still getting used to mine after using a T-12....why the different Sweetners for E-9? which is better? Are any of you programming in your own settings?

I'll get used to this Peterson, but think I have become spoiled with the needle tuner....ya'lls thoughts...?
Dick Sexton

Which one and do you program?

Post by Dick Sexton »

I'm currently using the sweetened OE9, I've used both and have programmed my own. I seem to keep coming back to the OE9. For my steel and my ear, it works fine. Get lots of smiles from my two or three loyal fans. Haha!

Of course there might some different opinions... Remember no two steels are exactly alike, and we each hear a little differently, so find one that is pleasing to you and use it, or program.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Has anyone carefully listened to see if there is any tone loss or degradation with the Strob-Flip, or for that matter other Peterson tuners? My BOSS Tu-12 and Tu-15 both introduce a bit of signal distortion, so i can't leave the tuners inline.
I get the distortion also if I keep Strobo-Flip plugged into the 2nd output of my Hilton pedal. Supposedly, my Strobo-flip was made after that diode change, but I seem to suspect not. I can't take the time to send it to Sue, so I just unplug it. I rarely have to tune my guitar after the first tune-up at the beginning of the night.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Pete Myers

Post by Pete Myers »

Thanks Dick, I'll start with OE9... did you find it difficult to program the HTZ for each pull....? Seems mind-boggling :?
Dick Sexton

Programming Instructions...

Post by Dick Sexton »

Pete, look in the Strobo Flip Info folder near the bottom of the page here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=594320d13092d8fb
I wrote these for a friend this summer... Email me if you have any questions or have trouble down loading the instructions.

Best of luck...