The Grand Ol' Opry

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Metz Jr.

The Grand Ol' Opry

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

Hello,
I was just thinking about how much I appreciate the Grand Ol' Opry.
I have had many dreams of playing on that stage ever since I was a young child. Im 23 years old now, and wonder if I will ever get the chance to live my dream. How many of you in the forum have had the chance to play on the Opry stage?
Thanks
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

I had the same dream,knew all the words to every Hank Williams song.But alas I never reached that pinnacle,I'll be 70 in May.All I can say is work hard,learn all you can,talk to people move to Nashville & join the rat race.Doesn't hurt to have an inch of talent & a mile of BS.
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

Back in '97 or so I was playing bass for Delbert McClinton and we did a benefit at the Ryman. As jaded as I am, it was a huge thrill to set foot on that stage.

I brought my young son to the sound check that afternoon, where he hung out as I worked. That night he was in the audience with his Mom. When Vince Gill walked on stage he told her, "Mommy, that's my friend Vince!... Is he a singer?".
Bret Raper

Post by Bret Raper »

I played on the Opry with Tom T. Hall beginning in 1983. It was really something to be on that stage and look at the circle of wood from the Ryman. I relish every opportunity I had to play there, but I will say the sound on stage could be a bit "challenging."

Our steel player back then was Mike Cass. We couldn't get anyone good! :lol:
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Hold on to your dreams Jeff. Work hard and be the best steel player you can be. The opportunity may not come your way, but if it does you'll be prepared for the occasion.

I wish you much success and hope your dream is realized someday.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Bret Raper wrote:I played on the Opry with Tom T. Hall beginning in 1983. It was really something to be on that stage and look at the circle of wood from the Ryman. I relish every opportunity I had to play there, but I will say the sound on stage could be a bit "challenging."

Our steel player back then was Mike Cass. We couldn't get anyone good! :lol:

Did he ever learn to play that thang?
Steve Alonzo Walker

Post by Steve Alonzo Walker »

I've played The Opry and the Ryman many times with several artists. It is an Honor and a Priveledge I got butterflies in my stomach everytime! I hope you get to experience it one day!!! :D
Ronnie Riley

Grand old opery

Post by Ronnie Riley »

Haven't played the opery but I did play the Louisiana Hayride, the same one that Hank Williams and Elvis was on, for 2 years. I have to admit that it was a thrill.
When I listen to myself now, I wonder "How did I ever do that?"
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

I, too, have been blessed to play on those great stages with several major recording artists back in the 70's. Was as nervous a toad-frog on the freeway with his hopper broke. As a youngster in Maine in the 60's, I dreamed of playing the steel guitar, an incredible sounding instrument. I met Hank Corwin, Ronnie, and I got to be on the Opry with him several times. What a master of touch and tone.....and such a versatile player. I really enjoyed the set that you and he did in Gulfport back at the first of Nov. So, Jeff, like someone has already said, hold on to the dream, work hard at this wonderful instrument, if you can, get another younger one interested in it, too, thereby, keeping this instrument alive. Keep dreaming, keep working hard at it,surely some good things will come your way. Happy holidays ! ! !
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

the 'flopry' is as far as i got!
Mike Sigler

Post by Mike Sigler »

Played the Opry many times, old & new... nothing like it!
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I have been on the stage and stood in the circle but never got to play there. It did make me want to play while I was there.
Buddie Hrabal

Post by Buddie Hrabal »

I got to play the Opry when i was working for Ray Price. it's definitely an honor
Wayne Quinn

Post by Wayne Quinn »

well i don't think i'll ever make it there. but if i ever do i hope i'am on a head of Mike Sigler.and not after him. :( but hope your dream comes true for you,
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

The poster wrote, "Doesn't hurt to have an inch of talent and a mile of BS".
Nothing could be farther from the truth or more backwards.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

It could be the other way around too.I guess I'm envious of all those that have gotten there ,could be I'm a bit bitter.But it's not about me,it's about making it in the entertainment world & reaching the goals one sets for themselves.Hard work pays off in most any field.
Dale Hansen

Post by Dale Hansen »

..While I was still playing, I was fortunate enough to play the Opry a few times.

The first two times, it was just like any other gig.
The third time, though, I 'suddenly' realized where I was. Then, it really got into my head. It didn't help a bit, that Tommy, and Johnny (Cox) were hovering nearby, either.

I remembered Weldon's tale about his first time at the Opry; how his foot was quivering, and shaking on the VP, and that he couldn't even mash the pedals down. Now, I know what he felt like. I told him about it a couple years ago. He thought that my sudden panic attack was pretty funny...

Jeff, I'm sure that you'll be able to fulfill your dream, one day.
My only bit of advice, would be to focus on playing well, making good music, and treat everybody with a good dose of genuine courtesy, and respect. The Good things that do happen to you, like playing big shows, playing the Opry, and all of the other fun little unexpected bonuses will just be the natural by-products of cultivating your people, and playing skills.

I always tried to remember, that I was entertaining people that I didn't know anything about. Some of them were, and are, possibly working on cures for horrible diseases, some may have invented great things,...or survived Vietnam,..Korea, or,...the D-day invasion on Normandy.
From that perspective, my steel playing seemed of little importance to the rest of the civilized world.

Best of luck, and Blessings.
Your pal, Dale
Bessdang Gizmos - "An Equal Opportunity Annoyer"
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

So eloquently said Mr. Hansen. :)
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Ever since I started playin' steel guitar, I've always dreamed of playin' and singin' on the stage of the Grand Ole Opry. I went to the Opry in November of 2000, the year after I started playin' steel guitar, and met Tommy White and other steel players. When I sat on that stage, I was thinkin' about how awesome it would be if I could play steel with an artist and sing while standin' in that wooden circle where a lot of artists stood before

Brett
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

Never got to play the Oprey stage yet!But I have played the La hayride.Bud Christian was hosting it after they remodeled it a few years ago.I think if you make the Opey stage you can say you have been successful.Just a goal I set my sites for.
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

The Grand Ole Opry would be a great honor to play for any musician or artist!
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

I played the Opry with several different artists. The most memorable was the first time, when I dragged my black P/P out onto the stage and set it at the end of 3 other black P/P's belonging to Sonny, Hal and Weldon. Then I started to wonder what I was doing here on the same stage with these guys. Well, I had a real nice vibrato going on the first song, heh, heh. But it turned out OK. I signed the time card and when I got the check I gave it to Lynn Owsley to cover a phone bill back home to Indiana to tell everyone I thought had a job.
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Dale Hansen

Post by Dale Hansen »

Tommy White wrote:So eloquently said Mr. Hansen. :)
That's awfully nice of you to say Tommy, thanks.

Truthfully,..You, & Johnny both treated me like a kid brother, with your kindness, and tips,..like, what channel to plug into, and how to set it for a decent tone, - and quickly. It was great to hang out with you two for awhile, and very helpful too.
I probably wasn't rattled the first couple of times (Jerry Kilgore - 2000'), because you guys treated me,..like I almost belonged there.:roll:

Thanks again to you both, for that.

DH
Bessdang Gizmos - "An Equal Opportunity Annoyer"
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

I don't know what I could say that would express it any better than Dale has but i'll give you my experience. I literally learned how to play backstage at the Opry (Ryman). I would hang out at Sho-Bud and Little Roy Wiggins Music all day on Fridsy and Saturday then either Shot Jackson or Jr. Huskey would get me back stage. I was 12 when this started. After six months or so they just let me in. Weldon Myrick, Hal Rugg, Sonny Burnett and guitar player Jimmy Capps took me under wing. Weldon, Hal or Jimmy would give me a ride home. In December 1972 I played the Opry for the first time with Del Reeves. I was scared to death and Weldon, Hal and Sonny didn't make it any easier.
Since then I have been blessed to play on both the Ryman stage and the Opry House stage many times with some of the greatest legends of country music. I truly am honored to say that this year I played it twice with Gene Watson making it thirty nine years. There is no place like The Grand Ole Opry..... And after Hal, Weldon and Sonny only Tommy White could possibly fill all of those shoes. Jeff hang on to that dream and head Dale's advice. I wish I would have...
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Kenny Martin

Post by Kenny Martin »

Jeff,

As I have replayed my recent first time at the Ryman "Me at the Ryman" I don't think I can add much more than i have said but one is very true and that is never stop the fire to play, to play good and never stop thinking of playing such an awesome place.

My daddy told me since I was 14 that I would some day play there. I'm 52 and he passed away 3 years back but ya know out of the blue I was asked to play steel for Marshall Tucker and then ask to play the Opry at the Ryman!
I believe we are meant to cross paths with certain people that help us, be there for us and help us get to the dreams or at least keep us from losing the heart to play and play good.
For me, I was meant to meet Tommy White and a few others because there was coming a day I would really need the strength to make it through good and bad times.
Tommy is truly that person and he brought me through the fire and when I sat on the Ryman stage and looked left and saw him standing there for some reason I calmed down and felt at ease because it was the same friend that was there when I needed him the most! Without dreams, working hard as everybody says and someone to help you it's hard to keep the hope alive.
At 23 years old man, you have the whole world of steel ahead of you and how lucky you are to have the Opry as a dream, players around like Tommy, Paul and many others that had the same dreams. The Opry at the Ryman for me was the top! It is the highest point of my 40 years of playing steel! Having Tommy White and Pat Severs standing there when I played was a gift!
Ok I'll shut up but go for it as hard as you can!