Shackdusters - Home and Dry CD

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Andy Volk

Shackdusters - Home and Dry CD

Post by Andy Volk »

FYI .... Forumite Kevin Brown has just released a very enjoyable lap steel/roots music CD.

With Gary Rudd on back-up guitar, the music ranges from a Joaquin Murphey Hawaiian composition through a bevy of traditional and original folk, blues and swing tunes all played with great feel, intonation and a relaxed vibe. Good listening!

http://kevinbrown1.bandcamp.com/album/home-and-dry
Neil Cameron

Post by Neil Cameron »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaV3X5jODwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9F3vnVRzAg

Look forward to seeing The Shackdusters during 2012,
love the sound, and the new album.

Attach the two old videos for reference, they have been seen here in the past.

Neil Cameron
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

Hey thanks fellas, and thanks Andy for the recommendation, you beat me too it ! Yep all done and dusted and ready for download here http://kevinbrown1.bandcamp.com/album/home-and-dry or hard copy from cd page of my website. www.mykevinbrown.com Im really hoping to make the show at Dallas this year and sales of this cd will certainly help towards the cost of flying out there. If I sold just ten from the forum that would cover the Days Inn fees at least What im most proud of about this record is that people seem to like it that are not necessarily lap steel fans, they just enjoy the sound and the tunes. Finally got my favourite shack on the cover too ! heres Gary and I at Beatifull Days festival in uk this year on the main stage ha !! Order now for xmas !

and Sele stores, Texas here

Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

An enthusiastic bump for a great CD! Kevin's playing is smooth and swinging with solid back up guitar from Gary Rudd on a set of very enjoyable tunes. Every player interested in acoustic steel should have this one! :)
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Congratulations, Kevin. It sounds great.

Hoping to see you in Dallas.
Morgan Scoggins

Post by Morgan Scoggins »

Nice job Kevin. It sort of reminds me of The Quintete of the Hot Club of France with a lot more smoothness thrown in. It also reminds me somewhat of the jazzy swing stuff played by the late Jethro Burns on mandolin. I will submit my order for the CD in a few days.
"Shoot low boys, the're ridin' Shetlands"
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

Thanks fellas, just thought you might like to see the instruments used on the recordings Bristolian, Lazy River and Gosden ( sadly not pictured ) weiss's, all acoustic no pickup in the chain. Just about all tracks recorded as live duets, some enhanced with ukes and bass as pictured. My first shot at logic and my first album recorded digitally, very pleased. We did it ourselves taking turns at the mouse so we learnt the ropes together.
Henry Nield

Post by Henry Nield »

I've got to own up and say that I'm coming from a biased position as a friend of Kev's but I genuinely think he has come up with a great album, which I've bulk purchased to send to friends and family for Christmas.
I've been listening to and playing lap steel and dobro for years but I have to say Kev is just a lap steel natural and I don't have any problem in thoroughly recommending his new album "Home & Dry". The only thing I don't like is that I can't play like he does, but hey, I can get over that!
Gary's rhythm playing is a great compliment to Kev's gorgeous, melodic acoustic lap steel. So get some in, along with the six-packs and turkey, and enjoy. Happy holidays and happy listening!
Ralph Czitrom

Home and Dry

Post by Ralph Czitrom »

I purchased the download last week, and it's one of those rare recordings which demands to be played again and again. Kevin and Gary, thanks so much.

Ralph
Jay Seibert

Post by Jay Seibert »

Hey Kevin, I just downloaded your new cd and really enjoy it! Just the perfect music to listen to whilst making Paloma Slides in my pottery studio. Here's hoping we get a chance to meet in Dallas in a few months. I'll have a product table there again. Merry Christmas!
www.stoneslides.com is my Paloma Tone Bar and Bottleneck Slide web site
www.clayrabbit.com is my Pottery web site
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

oh man, that video Neil linked to, besides being GREAT, reminds me of the time our trio was booked at a "Winterfest" at a ski resort town - oh my! we spent ALL the money we made at the outfitter store on warm hats, gloves (which we cut the fingers out of), scarves, extra socks...just to get through the gig!

the "act" on the stage before us was an ICE CARVER - there was ice all over the stage which we smartly refused to play on so we sat on the sidewalk and froze to death.
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Eric Ebner

Post by Eric Ebner »

Hey!!! that's MY Bristolian guitar in that picture:-) Here are my short thoughts on this lovely and listenable set of recordings...

HOME AND DRY by Kevin Brown.

Track1) The Road to Palolem: Where Hawaii meets the south Texas sky… sweet.
Track2) Mai Kai Omole Kaku: Happy and fun. Great for dancing with your gal.
Track3) Belgrave Bounce: I wish my favorite pub would play this tune!
Track4) Adios Mariquita Linda: Great glissando. I like this Tex-Mex tune! Very classy and rural.
Track5) Mayonnaise: Happy, bouncy, and bluesy. Makes you smile;-)
Track6) Hawaiian Summer Night: Back in Hawaii folks… where’s my hula girl??? Nice bass guitar as well.
Track7) Precious Memories: Right at home here… Texas lonely open sky sort of feeling.
Track8) Swingville: Jazz bar with lots of 6th sense. Quick and happy little ditty.
Track9) A Bit on the Slide: Nice acoustic steel. Easy listening. Kevin shows how smooth it can get;-)
Track10) No Place Like Home: Only my FAVORITE Hawaiian tune! Everyone should learn this one.
Track11) When Friends Collide: Reminds me of a lazy summer day. Great musical transitions. Sweet!
Track12) In Your Mothers Arms: Beautiful acoustic steel number. Lots of class and detail in this tune.

I'm certainly a KB fan!!! Love the record. Hat's off to your work;-) Worth every penny.

Eric Ebner
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

Home & Dry is smooth and sweet! This is wonderful CD !!! I’ve had the Road to Palolem in mind for about two weeks now. I was so pleasantly surprised to hear Mai Kai Omole Inu Kaku - awesome job on a Joaquin favorite. All the tunes are great - Kevin has that sweet Hawaiian tone...I hear it in his vibrato all throughout. It especially shines on Hawaiian Summer Nights. Lots of catchy tunes like Mayonnaise, Swingville, and Belgrave Bounce, that put a bounce in your step as you go through the day. Adios Mariquita Linda has that dreamy latin feel. There are also several mellow and smooth original compositions. It‘s a nice listen all the way through. Great job, guys! :D
Dan Schwartz

Post by Dan Schwartz »

Kevin,

This record is really great. I have been listening to it steady for days. Your playing is so clean. The production and recording quality are excellent. I like every tune, but In Your Mothers Arms really knocks me out. Thanks for your great work.

Dan