Steelin' at the White House

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Grafe

Steelin' at the White House

Post by Dave Grafe »

I did not recognize the steel player for the White House Country music show on PBS tonight, although the face seemed familiar I just could not place it. Glad to hear some good steel coming through the mix once in a while...
Bruce Bouton

Post by Bruce Bouton »

It was the great Paul Franklin, loud and clear!
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Thanks Bruce, that's what I originally suspected, it looked like a Franklin guitar but the glasses threw me off when I got a look at him (not that I've ever seen him in person), and then the credits went by WAY too fast to read. At first the mix was all fiddle but as the show unfolded there were some excellent steel intros and solo rides and an occasional sweet harmonic planted on top of the mix, outstanding!
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Amazing amounts of steel. Almost like the mixer made a mistake :lol: What a professional sounding outfit. Great arrangements, classy show. Heres a link to the site: http://video.pbs.org/video/2170280629/
Last edited by John Lacey on 24 Nov 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave O'Brien

White House

Post by Dave O'Brien »

Looked the the who's who of Nashville studio cats. Did anybody get the credits and could list them?
Dave O'Brien
Emmons D-10, CMI D-10, Fender Deluxe Reverb, PV 112, Fender Pro Reverb
www.myspace.com/daveobrienband
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Paul was somewhat in the shadow (not a lot of light) and at first I couldn't tell who it was but I could make out the Franklin logo on the guitar. I told Carlene that I don't recognize the steel player. She said "I don't either but he seems to really know his way around on the steel" :eek:
The camera showed his face again and I said "yea, I guess he does, that is Paul". :whoa: :lol:
I had gotten in later in the show so I searched and found it was playing again at midnight so I set the recorder. It was a great show and the steel sounded great.
Jerry
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I think I've heard of that Franklin fellow. :D
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Steel was clearly audible throughout the program.
Pat Wilson

Post by Pat Wilson »

I thought PF's Tone & Playing was Great!!There was no doubt in my mind who was playin Steel! I dvr'ed this show and plan on learnin alot from it
Mullen Pre Rp SD10 3 & 4
Hilton Vol Pedal
BIG Tuning Wrench,
2 Modulus Bass,2 Modulus Guitars EBS cabs,
800 Demeter Tube Bass amp,
GK Fusion 500,Fender Strat,
http://twitter.com/#!/Destin30A
FaceBook
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=634787746
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

Thanks for the link, John. That was great, and so was Paul Franklin and the band. I remember the drummer from other videos but I don't remember his name.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I missed it, but it's scheduled to air again at 4:00 A.M. Fri. morning here on KET 2. Maybe I'll get to watch it instead of going shopping. :roll: :lol:
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Paul did an awesome job, wished he got a few more solos. Seemed the fiddle and keyboards got the most.I enjoyed all the singers although I've never thought of James Taylor as a country singer.Allison Krause was amazing!I recognized Paul pretty early, but couldn't name anyone else in the band(excellent musicians).The credits were visible for about 3 seconds(only caught Violin-Seymore Duncan?)..JS
Travis Toy

Re: White House

Post by Travis Toy »

Dave O'Brien wrote:Looked the the who's who of Nashville studio cats. Did anybody get the credits and could list them?
I caught a few minutes of it last night. Paul sounded great as usual. The band was...

Drums - Paul Leim
Bass - David Hungate
Piano - John Jarvis
Steel - Paul Franklin
Fiddle - Stuart Duncan
Electric GTR - Kerry Marx
Acoustic GTR - Steve Gibson

Not sure on the background singers.
Tim Fleming

Post by Tim Fleming »

Hehe, James Taylor wore the exact same hat that LBJ used to wear. Awesome!

http://www.hartfordyork.com/product/369/stetson-hats
Sho-Bud Super Pro, Mullen G2, Justice Pro Lite, Evans E200, Peavey Nashville 112
Richard Sinkler

I recognize Andrea Zonn as one of the backup singers. She is a freakin' awesome singer in her own right. One of my faves for sure.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Richard Sinkler

Who chose the songs for these acts to sing. James Taylor singing Glen Campbell. Lauren Alaina singing "Coal Miner's Daughter" Give me a break. In a situation like this, they should get to showcase their own stuff. If they wanted those songs, they should have hired Glen (if able) and Loretta. That's my only disappointment so far (still watching).

I'm not even going to comment on that Franklin guy. What else can be said about this master of the steel guitar. Great camera work. All the other country shows should watch this and take notes.

Kimberly Perry is one fine looking woman :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
Tim Victor

Post by Tim Victor »

Agreed with above. And Sierra Hull sounded great playing mandolin with Alison. First I've heard them together.
Richard Sinkler

Didn't realize that was Sierra. I mostly was just listening because I was studying at the same time. Sierra is awesome. After reading your post, I headed to YouTube and started listening to her stuff. This girl will be around for a while, GARR-OWN-TEED.

She's coming to California in early December. On the 7th she'll be in Sacramento with Rob Ickes. I will be there. The 8th, at the Freight and Salvage in Berkeley, but I'm not sure if Rob will be there. The ads don't say.
Tim Victor

Post by Tim Victor »

I was watching a very small and kinda fuzzy TV on the other side of the room, trying to make people out by shape and size. (I didn't even venture a guess as to who was on pedal steel.) So I wasn't sure it was Sierra, but figured there couldn't be too many teeny-tiny twenty-year-old female mandolin players with chops like that. Google confirmed.

Just followed your lead and checked out her YouTube presence, and I see she's got a new album out on Rounder with the full AK&US treatment. There's no denying her talent besides being a real cutie, so that's all really promising for her.

I also noticed that she's a "planter" too, but it doesn't seem to slow her down any.

Enjoy the show, Richard! I don't see any in my area right away, but I suspect she'll be making the rounds when bluegrass festival season gets going in the spring.
Richard Sinkler

I'm watching her right now. I can't wait to see her and Rob in person. She sure is a little cutie ain't she. I remember the first time I saw her. It was a few (or more) years ago on one of the awards shows and she play with Alison and Union Station. I think she was still in diapers :lol: What a killer musician/entertainer.
Tonu Timm

Post by Tonu Timm »

As PBS Video has 'experiencing technical difficulties that are preventing them from playing the video', I missed the joy to enjoy Paul's playing. Did anybody downloaded that?
GFI Ultra SD-10, BearCreek Weissenborn, Hermann Baritone Weiss, National Polychrome Tricone, Fender Champ Lapsteel, Quiter Micropro Mach 2 HD, Nashville 112, Zirconia bars, Bob Perry picks...
Richard Sinkler

I tried to download it, but it is blocked. Bummer. I get the same error now too. Hopefully they will fix it.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

It's working this morning...

http://video.pbs.org/video/2170280629/
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Paul and friends at the White House. If nobody minds me sayin', when it came to the band, the older dudes ruled ….

Dean Edwards

Post by Dean Edwards »

Thanks John Lacey for posting the link. I would have missed it otherwise.

Dean Edwards